JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » IDAHO - Idaho Traditional Bowhunters » Cattle @ Bait Site

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cattle @ Bait Site
PLS-12224
Member # 16521

Icon 5 posted      Profile for PLS-12224   Email PLS-12224   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody had a problem with cattle at their bait site? I dropped bait last night and my site looked like a that scene from dances with wolves, when they were following the huge herd of bison. Everything was torn up! Cow pies everywhere! But the bait was gone. What effect do you think the cattle will have on the effectiveness of this site?

--------------------
Shooting an ugly bear is like marrying an ugly women, you got to look at your mistake the rest of your life! -my buddy Jason

Posts: 65 | From: Goshen,Id | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Krebs
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Krebs   Email Brian Krebs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh- what were you using for bait?

--------------------
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Posts: 2556 | From: North Fork , Idaho | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse Minish
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse Minish   Email Jesse Minish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it legal to still be baiting?!?
Posts: 1276 | From: Priest River, Idaho | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nurayb
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurayb   Email nurayb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what are you baiting--------bear is closed
Posts: 239 | From: Western Wyoming | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemessick
Member # 19895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikemessick   Email mikemessick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
• All bait containers and materials must be removed, and all excavations refilled no later than 7 days after the close of each season; spring, fall, or dog training. Pg 54
Dog Training lasts until July 31st in most units

Posts: 3 | From: Shelley Idaho | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PLS-12224
Member # 16521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PLS-12224   Email PLS-12224   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like Mike stated, you can still bait till the end of dog training season. Dog training season ends on July 31st around here.

I am a little suprised you guys didn't know that.

--------------------
Shooting an ugly bear is like marrying an ugly women, you got to look at your mistake the rest of your life! -my buddy Jason

Posts: 65 | From: Goshen,Id | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse Minish
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse Minish   Email Jesse Minish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot about dog training season. So what are you using for bait?

Personally I don't think the cattle will have much if any negative affect on the site unless they are eating your bait.

Posts: 1276 | From: Priest River, Idaho | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PLS-12224
Member # 16521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PLS-12224   Email PLS-12224   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just using normal stuff, like bread, popcorn doughnuts, random table scraps. The cattle are not getting into the bait they are just hanging around the site. I still have bears coming in, just not as many and not as consistent as they once were.

Jesse how did your bear taste? You going to get a rug done and/or bleach the skull? I bleached the skull of my cougar, it was fairly easy and I think it looks good.

--------------------

Jesse Minish
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9511

It tasted great! I saved the back straps and then cubed up the rest for sausage and other stuff. Then I ate the back straps and wished I had saved more of it to not be ground up.

The hide had some bald spots so I didn't tan it but I am going to bleach the skull. It is still in the freezer.

Clay Hayes
SPONSOR
Member # 15920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clay Hayes   Email Clay Hayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesse, if you use bleach on your skull, make sure you neutralize the base with an acid like vinegar. If you don't, the bleach will continue to eat away at the bone. You'll find white powder and flakes that everywhere the skull sits for a while.

I've used hydrogen peroxide to good effect. You have to get the concentrated stuff though. Be carefull, it'll burn ya.

ch

--------------------
Twisted Stave Media - "Untamed"

"A conservationist is one who is humbley aware that with each stroke he is writing his signature on the face of his land" Leopold

Posts: 279 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Fischer
SPONSOR
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Fischer   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Fischer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesse, the best method I have found is to go to the beauty supply store and but liquid hydrogen peroxide, about the strongest you can get is 40%, it looks like shampoo. Also buy powdered bleach, mix the two together until you get a paste and "paint" it on your skull, let it dry and rinse with hot water, then leave it in the sun for a day or two, it whitens them up nice.

--------------------
Eclipse Broadheads

Posts: 64 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Stokes
Contributor 2010
Member # 16802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Stokes   Email Don Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blake, I think Michael Jackson must have tried that... [Smile]

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Posts: 2602 | From: New Albany, MS | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse Minish
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9511

Thanks for the info. guys much appreciated.

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©