JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » MI bear red oak unit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MI bear red oak unit
wojo124
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wojo124   Email wojo124   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anyone ever hunted bear in the red oak unit? if so did u hire a local guide,and how many points did u have? I have 4 right now and I was going to put in for the drawing this year to see if I can pull one...I'm thinking I might need another point or two. [help] [Confused]

--------------------
Hollenbeck 64" longbow 50#@28"
Northern Mist 66"longbow 53#@27"
Early 80's 64"Custom Bighorn 66#@29"
pick your spot and burn a hole.

Posts: 190 | From: Milan,MI | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bmac
Contributor 2011
Member # 15209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bmac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunted Red Oak last fall without a guide. No luck though. There were bear in the area but too much other activity. I still had a great time and learned a lot for the next time. I think it took 5 points to draw last year(I had 7).

As a side note, the NRC will vote Thursday on potential new Bear Regs that may significantly decrease the opportunity for public land hunters in Red Oak (and elsewhere). They are looking at potentially splitting licenses into general (public and private lands) and private land only. The catch will be the amount of land required to get a private land license. I'm hearing rumors (I know about rumors but can't seem get an official number) that you would need 300 acres to obtain a private license. There would be 765 private land licenses and 430 general licenses. This could dramatically increase the time/number of points needed to draw Red Oak for those of us who don't own large tracts of land.

Here is a link to the proposed regs.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/05-10_Bear_Regs_ACTION_3.15_general_private2_2_314844_7.pdf

The vote will be this Thursday April 8. Call the DNRE at 517-373-2352 to voice your opinion.

Posts: 506 | From: Crystal, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wojo124
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wojo124   Email wojo124   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey thanks Bmac, I called to voice my opinion on this issue............NO ON OPTION 1!!!

--------------------

Posts: 190 | From: Milan,MI | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Bmac. I`ll be making a call for sure.

I have never hunted Red Oak for myself, but I have set up baits for a few family and friends.
I was always able to get bears coming in.

The key is WORK. Get back in where small game hunters, and dog hunters don`t go. The first day is reserved for no running with dogs now, but training them before the season opens is still legal I think. Any disturbance is bad.

Hoist Lakes foot travel area, and Ried Lake foot travel area north of Glennie can provide lots of land to seperate you from disturbance.

The last bait I had going produced trail cam pictures from early morning, throughout the day, and early evening. Some good sized bears too.

The hunter never saw a bear, but I think the walk was too much for him, and the effort was lacking.

I have five points.

If I can help more, just ask.

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wojo124
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18660

hey bonebuster,thanks for the bit of info. whenever I do draw a tag I sure will be asking more. I'd like to be able to scout my own spots out and bait my self but its just a lot of driving back and forth and gas....I suppose I could hire a guide but who knows.

--------------------

Bow man
SPONSOR
Member # 13512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bow man   Author's Homepage   Email Bow man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arwin hunted there last year and had way to much human activity but did have bears hitting the baits untill some one sabotaged his baits by dumping kerosene on them. There good bears but allot of people to contend with. We did make some plans and had some ideas that may have helped his chances.

--------------------
You worked to hard and paid a lot of money for that new bow. Why would you trust protecting it to anything less than Thunderbird Epoxy!!!
www.tbirdarchery.com
www.stjoeriverbows.com

Posts: 2682 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwin   Email Arwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was crazy with people and sabotage!
Best thing to do is get a guide to run bait for you or focus on the 2nd hunt in Oct.
I wouldn't start your bait till almost the first hunt starts. That way you can keep tabs on where other hunters are and the less chance your bait will get stumbled upon by the first hunters looking to set up cribs. Lots of good bears up there like this;

-
 -

--------------------
Just one more step.....please!

Michigan Longbow Association

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Posts: 4272 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bmac
Contributor 2011
Member # 15209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bmac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NRC voted to keep the license system as is, for 2010. They are creating a "task force" to study the perceived problem of having too many bear on the club country private properties in Red Oak. It is expected that there will be pressure again next year to change it.
Posts: 506 | From: Crystal, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardwaymike
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardwaymike   Author's Homepage   Email hardwaymike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there is a lot of bears in the section of red oak that is just north of me. I live just a few miles south of the Roscommon co line. All of the bears that I have seen in the wild have all been within a couple of miles from where I live now. A couple of years ago I seen a sow with 3 cubs while mushroom picking. Talk about SPOOKY!

--------------------
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Posts: 970 | From: Gladwin Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wojo124
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18660

hey Arwin how often did you bait? and what did you use? My girlfreinds family owns 120 acres west of fife lake and there is bear sign,so I think thats where i would try,and the neihbors killed a 320 pounder 2 years ago. my other option would be to hunt my deer hunting grounds on public land around onaway....

--------------------

wojo124
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18660

TTT

--------------------

Hood
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hood   Email Hood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is an old thread, but I am thinking about hunting this fall in the Red Oak unit as I believe I have enough points. Just looking for any advice that anyone may be willing to provide.
Thanks

--------------------
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Posts: 754 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©