JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » Deer Diary 2010 season 5 (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Deer Diary 2010 season 5
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todweelz   Email Todweelz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No hunting today, got a few injections in my low back this morning, good times for sure, will be out for next few mornings! Good luck all, sounds like there getting up and around now, shoot well. Todd
Posts: 862 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwin   Email Arwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man someone hit the "off" switch on the deer today!! Heard some chasing this morning but nothing else for the rest of the day.
Cold and windy tonight. Not a peep.

--------------------
Just one more step.....please!

Michigan Longbow Association

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Posts: 4272 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRR324
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRR324   Email DRR324   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My morning was spent at work- driving around saw 6 bucks in just 5 miles of back roads...all at 10am.
Left work early to check a spot a bit deeper on my state land spot. Made a quick groung blind and got settled in at 2:30. One possum came squirting by at 5 feet, and a few red squirrels. No deer seen or heard... brother said he didn't see any tonight either. Might hunt sat morning if tomorrow night isn't too late getting back from our football playoff game in suttons bay.....

--------------------
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting? The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Posts: 706 | From: Lake, MI (central LP) | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todweelz   Email Todweelz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WINDY this morning, no deer, one big fox squirrel tried spooning me! not good, not sure who was more startled him or me, had his head on my right shoulder. Todd
Posts: 862 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitebuffalo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitebuffalo   Author's Homepage   Email whitebuffalo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a five point close 17 yrds yesterday mornin. No shot. Had a four point stroll by tonight at about 40 yrds,, just not seeing the chasing like I thought I would by now. The ten pointer is still haunting me [dntthnk] [dntthnk] [banghead] [banghead] [dunno] I really hope I can get it toghether by the end of this weekend. This is my last weekend off in the reg. bow season. I'll be out in the am.. good luck everyone,,JB

--------------------
TGMM

Posts: 3057 | From: Stanton,MI | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got one foot out the door. White with frost outside...October is gone.

Good luck everyone.

Posts: 3495 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwin   Email Arwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to throw this one up for those who've had similar problems. [Big Grin]
The deer here sure are jumpy!!

-

--------------------
Just one more step.....please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Posts: 4272 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killinstuff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killinstuff   Email killinstuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes they are jumpy. Had 13 does and fawns this morning slam on the breaks 30 yards out and just turn around and go the other way.The wind was on their tail too. Moved that stand 40 yards and had a small 6 point walking along the river decide to cross to check a scrape just before he got truely down wind of me but that didn't last long. 30 yards out he picked me up. That was at 4:40. 6:00 two does swung wide of my old stand tree and snuck right up to the base of the tree smelling where I was and looking up. Smart deer, good thing they don't have thumbs or we would all be in trouble.

--------------------
lll

Posts: 1353 | From: Traverse City Michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Got to the farm to find an inch of the white stuff sataurday morning, really pretty in the woods, but have not been seeing alot of deer, had a doe and a small doe pass by around 10:00, no shots I would take, had the bigger one at 15yds broadside, but little one slipped up next to it, didn't want to try for the daily double, Todd
xtrema312
Contributor 2014
Member # 18854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtrema312   Email xtrema312   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thursday I saw one spike about 11 at my little spot near town. He walked right into me head on. I had him at about 8 yd. He looked right up at me like he knew I was there. Then looked down and walked right under me and went on his way. It was almost like he knew I didn't have an unrestricted tag and just wanted let me know it. I moved to my other stand on the property for Friday morning. Saw the same spike, but now I know how he work in because I saw the other end of his route. He went right past my other stand again from what I could tell. He was right on the same schedule or at least within 15 minutes of the day before. Now if I could just find a bigger one that was that consistent. Very quiet for such a peak time to hunt, but I also have not been seeing any does the last two days so the bucks are probably not in the area as much as two weeks ago. I still have some hitting the big scrape at night so they are around. When I got to my parking spot at the office where I used to work I found a nice note from my old bosses wife. She now has a problem with me hunting there. The old boss said don't worry about it, but I now need to go see her. She is an old friend so I have to see if I can work something out, but sounds like I am out that spot from here on out, and it was the spot I was hoping to finish out the early season. Time for a new plan.

Saturday I hit the family farm in hopes things would pick up there. It has been really hard hunting there do to constant pressure from my cross bow hunting dad and uncle the last couple years. It was a perfect day, but only saw one large doe with about 5 young deer dogging her. They were spooked like second week of gun season jumpy. Some of the little ones got around behind me close in some heavy cover, but the big girl went wide and they all snuck off through the property and off the property again from what I could see. I was in a spot I can see a lot of cover and never saw another deer. I pulled out mid afternoon to scout around more to see if I could get onto something different. That is when I discovered the 8'x10' gun/xbow hunting blind my dad put in the core of my hunting area. It was also sporting a fresh coat of camo paint. The trail cam I had set in the area confirmed much activity in the area last week. They painted it on site at the start of the best hunting of the year. It think that explains the lack of deer in the area. I did get some pics of several different bucks with one real nice 8pt. that looked to be maybe 3 1/2 years old. All at night so don't think that spot will pay off this year. I went to move three stands and ladders out of the area to store them away for the season using the tractor loader to move everything and had a freak accident when my lineman strap fell off my shoulder and under the tractor tire. It was not much fun getting ripped out of the seat and thrown on the ground. Very scary few seconds. It was a flat out miracle my right leg was not badly broken or knee seriously damaged when the strap and harness grabbed it first and then all of me. Despite a bunch of little bumps and one real sore hamstring, I am walking and very thankful the Lord spared me much worse things. I have to admit I was feeling a little bummed out and upset that the rut was getting ruined in my hunting spots this year, and it looked like my season was about over. Now I am just happy to be alive and walking.

--------------------
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Posts: 4040 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close one xtrema, ***t happens, no doubt. Glad you`re ok!

I`m not hunting this morning, because the "service engine soon" light came on as we drove home from our outing last night. Gotta get it figured out, because it`s all I will think about until it`s done.

Hunted hard yesterday. My youngest had a doe go by him pretty quick. She stopped once, and watched her back trail. "It was like something was chasing her" he said. He must have gotten caught moving, because he never saw the buck.

I saw only a button buck the entire day...but I have to give him credit. As I watched him, it appeared he was trying to make a rub on a tree with his furry little nubs.

The gunfire has already started. I heard several shots within the last half hour legal time last night. I know the area, these shots came from the woods.

Posts: 3495 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Don, If your car sems to be running normal but light is on, check engine, is a sensor or your gas cap, my chevy truck does it all the time, try putting some gas in the tank, and get a couple of clicks on your cap when you twist her up, should go away in a 10-15 miles, if that doesn't do it have her checked at a local auto parts store they will do check engine lights for free, or $75 at the shop, don't stress it.
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Thanks Todd. I found that the light was not on this morning. As you said, probably something simple. I can find nothing wrong.

I like to keep my vehicles ready for a cross country trip at all times. (even though we never go anywhere very far)

Gonna help get groceries with my wife, and take her for a ride through the woods, and then later, I will put off some work needing done around the house, and go hunting! [Big Grin] It`s too beautiful not to...life is short.

Good luck everyone.

Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

A beautiful evening.

I saw/heard nothing as far a deer are concerned.

Two ravens had an argument above my head. After a bit, they moved to another tree across the swamp, and continued.

Hearing some approaching footfalls would have been nice, but I have no complaints.

The Great Jashu
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Great Jashu   Email The Great Jashu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Cow Extrema! Glad you are here to tell us that story. Most of the time those stories dont get told. Usually its "the accident is being investigated".

--------------------
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Posts: 569 | From: Sidney, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  20  21  22   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©