JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » Deer Diary 2010 season 5 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Deer Diary 2010 season 5
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mparks   Author's Homepage   Email mparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Todd! Post a pic if ya took one.

I had a nice doe and a youngin' wander by my stand tonight. Still spots on the rump of the small one. Just wasn't quite ready to take a doe with antelope meat in the freezer. Good to know there are a few around. Gonna be warm this weekend.

Good luck fellas and keep the reports coming. Nice to know what folks around the state are seeing.

Posts: 431 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Junction hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Junction hunter   Email Junction hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Todd!!!
Shot at a turkey last night but shot high. No deer yet. Nice weather and nice to be in the woods.

Posts: 188 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Autumnarcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumnarcher   Author's Homepage   Email Autumnarcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great sit this morning. Slipped into my groundblind in a stand of maples between a cornfield and the thicker bedding area. This spot usually rocks in the morning when there is corn.

Had a deer run past me towards the corn just at first light, never could see what it was, but wierd how fast it was going and never made a sound.

Shortly afterwards I heard a turkey gobbling about 100 yds away over by another blind of mine( the one I was thinking of sitting, but decided the wind wasnt right). He carried on for about an hour, I here I was with no turkey calls with me. ( mental note- take calls this evening).

Eventually he shut up, and the deer were non-existant. About an hour later I saw something black move about 50 yds in front of me. Pulled up the binos and sure enough,3 turkeys heading straight at me. ( once again, mental note!)

I got my bow ready and in good shooting position. 3 jakes appeared, and were closing fast, wandering back and forth, putting and clucking all the way.

At 20 yds they seems to hold up, but they were right out front and I had clear shooting, the trick now was to draw and not get busted.

Soon enough the one on the right was looking behind him, the one on the left was behind a tree, and the middle bird turned away from me facing a big maple tree. I'm thinking atthis point I can try to pin him to the tree.

I slowly raised my bow and drew, anchored and let my first arrow of the season fly. And fly it did. I heard it smack hard into the maple tree, exactly as planned. Well.....almost. It seems the arrow forgot to go through the turkey first!
I missed, I pulled my shot a couple inches to the right along about the same time the bird turned slightly to the left. end of story.

Had a couple more behind me very close an hour later, but they never showed themselves, might have been the same trio of jakes, steering clear of the pile of sticks that spits arrows out of it. That was my first shot ever at a turkey with my longbow, so it was still pretty exciting.

Off to Dunhams to get a slate call. All the turkeys I saw were putting back and forth to each other all morning. Gonna have to see if I can lure another one in.

--------------------
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Posts: 1373 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todweelz   Email Todweelz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talked to big Jon today, seems his wheelie bow was stolen out of his truck last Sat., he popped a nice spike with his recurve Mon nite. 13yd shot 45yd recovery first bow killed deer, and he did it with his curve, on state land, he is HOOKED big time. Will get pic of my doe up soon can e-mail, just hard time with photobucket dial-up. Todd
Posts: 862 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killinstuff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killinstuff   Email killinstuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had 8 does and fawns under me for 20 minutes trying to figure out what was up in that tree. The fawns were sniffing the climbing stick steps and sneezing (I showered today?????)and the does were doing the big stomp and not sure what the deal was. Tracked me to the tree like hound dogs. Pretty cool. To many eyes watching me to shoot and too hot tonight anyway if I did kill one. Did get a squirrel this morning, 1 for 3 on tree rats so far

--------------------
lll

Posts: 1353 | From: Traverse City Michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mparks   Author's Homepage   Email mparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slow going last few days for me. The warm temps aren't helping matters out there on the evening hunts. I'll try it in the AM. Didn't hunt tonight so I could watch the Spartans take care of business.
Posts: 431 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a big doe at twenty yards and broadside at six yesterday evening. Didn`t shoot, because of the basket eight point that was forty yards away eating acorns under a different tree.

My guts were churning from eating bad chicken from a fast food joint. I was not at my best.

The wind was from the N.E. for most of the time.
It changed and came from the south just long enough for them to catch me.

My fifteen yr old put some tension on his string, but the buck went by beyond his range.

A perfect eight point with an EIGHT inch spread.
Really strange looking, and neat at the same time. I don`t think it was a 1.5 yr old. He was built too good.

We have been having a tough time getting close to deer. We need a steady wind. It`s been swirling and changing every time we`ve been out.

Congrats to those who have scored, and good luck to us all!!!

Posts: 3495 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtrema312
Contributor 2014
Member # 18854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtrema312   Email xtrema312   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made it back out Friday AM and bumped one on the way in. I got set-up and sat until 11. Saw nothing. That spot can be like that early in the year, but this year sure is off to a very slow start. I can't recall the last time I didn't have at least one down by now.

I changed land for the PM hunt after a little scouting. It was so warm I almost didn't go, but I figures I needed to see what was going on and who knows what can happen. I scouted around some of my stands and set up another stick ladder for a new spot. I finally saw a 1 1/2 year old doe walk past about 6 pm and about 30 yards away. She circled and then moved off a ways behind me. About sun set I heard a lot of commotion down the field edge about 75 yd. away. I thought for sure I had a few deer on the way. I could hear steady movement headed my way just the other side of the brush line. Finally the source popped into view at about 20 yd. Possum. However, that brought the doe right in for a look at the possum. She walked right up to about 15-18 yd. I was thinking hard on shooting her but it was getting late and it was real warm out without much of a cool down overnight. The plan was to get out for the opener of the waterfowl season and I needed to get up at 4 to pick up my hunting partner, get to our spot, and get all set-up. I just didn't want to be up until midnight after shooting, tracking, and getting her quartered and trimmed to fit into the garage refrigerator. I really need to get building that hanging cooler I have been planning to build. So I was in bed by 9 and happy I did after a long hot day wading around on the water and mud. We had a great hunt with limits of birds so it was a fine weekend hunting.

I don't hunt Sundays, but probably wouldn't with the temps we had today. It was only probably in the upper 70's, but felt like a lot hotter to me after our little cool down last week. I sure hope it cools down a little for next week.

--------------------
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Posts: 4040 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew   Email Drew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone from Eaton Rapids got a nice buck on Sunday morning..he should be along soon with a story and pic.

--------------------
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Posts: 2000 | From: St. Johns, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Fishell
Contributor 2007
Member # 10380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Fishell   Email Tim Fishell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet I know who that is!! Can't wait to hear about it!! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4788 | From: Holland Michigan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRR324
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRR324   Email DRR324   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright my MI brothers, check out POW-WOW thread,
titled.. Shot my best buck ever.

--------------------
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting? The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Posts: 706 | From: Lake, MI (central LP) | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Fishell
Contributor 2007
Member # 10380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Fishell   Email Tim Fishell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Dave. Sorry for the way it turned out but still a great buck.

--------------------
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4788 | From: Holland Michigan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwin   Email Arwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todds doe. Very nice!!!! [clapper]

-

--------------------
Just one more step.....please!

Michigan Longbow Association

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Posts: 4272 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Junction hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Junction hunter   Email Junction hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Dave!!!!!
Posts: 188 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todweelz   Email Todweelz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arwin, thanks she looks good! can't use photobucket, wife has another prog insalled and it override as soon as plug camera in, will keep trying, good luck all ! back out tonite first time since I got back from In, been a busy week. Todd
Posts: 862 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  20  21  22   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©