JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » DEER DIARY 2013 SEASON (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DEER DIARY 2013 SEASON
DBGJR
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DBGJR   Email DBGJR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets hear how everyone's 2013 season is going. Post your daily reports and if you have pictures post them as well. Good luck to everyone and have a safe season.
Posts: 206 | From: sparta mi | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vesty
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vesty   Email Vesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son and I were able to hunt together yesterday which in and of itself is a blessing to me as I get older.I own property in deer rich Van Buren County and have picked up quite a few deer on my trail cam over the summer. Yesterday, if I didn't know better, I would have thought a plague hit and wiped them off the face of the earth. We didn't see a single deer all day. Sun up to sun down. But hey, that's why they call it hunting.Cooler weather can only help. We did find fresh scrapes which always perks you up.
Posts: 422 | From: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew   Email Drew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opening day....saw a couple in the morning fog, afternoon was hot and windy, deer were moving as they were taking off soybeans all around me!

Felt damn good to be in the woods again!

--------------------
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Posts: 2000 | From: St. Johns, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spent the day with my two sons on state game areas in the S.E. part of the lower. We did some scouting throughout the summer, feeding the ticks and sweating....only to find that these llands are good deer habitat with decent populations, but it is impossible to "hunt" because of the sheer numbers of hunters.

We DID end up seeing deer, and I could have killed a doe, but passed in the hopes it would pass my youngest son.(which it did, but he was asleep at the wheel)

The highlight of the day was my fifteen yr old son giving lessons with his Bear Montana, a short distance from the parking area....let me tell ya this.....there are ALOT of guys with the "traditional" spirit out there, and he planted some seeds yesterday. I sat on the tailgate guzzling water and heard the same words of guidance and encouragement that I gave him through the years...only this time, it was him teaching some old dogs new tricks....

It`s cool when a guy removes his trigger release from his wrist and takes lessons on the proper use of a tab from a 15 yr old kid.

I learned a lot........there are TONS of traditional bowhunters out there...they just don`t know where to start.

Heading NORTH ASAP......

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fantastixvoyage
Member # 21165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fantastixvoyage   Email fantastixvoyage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome story, great to see the young crowd still interested. I hunt public in SE as well and get questions and comments all the time too. Its entertaining to see these guys load up all their widgets - heavy compound, release, climber, etc etc. I just toss on a little face camo, grab my "stick" and go lol

--------------------
Black Widow MAII 60" 60lb@28

Posts: 67 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fantastixvoyage
Member # 21165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fantastixvoyage   Email fantastixvoyage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just stopped out at my spot this afternoon to see what was going on. Still very green and deer movement has been poor thus far. Only one doe taken from the area that we know of. Buddy at work got a few texts opening day - 9, 7 and 6 point taken by his friends so they are out there! Looks like temps will be dipping into the 40s and maybe 30s next week, that should trigger a bit more movement. So between the high temps and still struggling a bit with my shooting not too concerned I'm missing the first week.

--------------------
Black Widow MAII 60" 60lb@28

Posts: 67 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Folts
Contributor 2017
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Folts   Email T Folts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunted tonite bumped a deer on my way to my stand then 1/2 before dark a 1.5 year old gave me a couple shots but I passed. 3 points on one side and the left horn stuck out and down. funky buck.
Might go back to the same stand in the morning depending on the wind.

--------------------
US ARMY 1984-1988

Posts: 2306 | From: Fowlerville,MI | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow....sure has been quiet around here.

I went and looked at the "Deer diaries" from a few years ago and there are several pages by nightfall on the first day.

Things have changed for a lot of us apparently...and it seems not for the better.

For me, nothing to report...the warm weather has kept me out of the woods.

I wonder where all the familiar names are.

I hope everyone is still able to hunt...good luck everyone!

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timberking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timberking   Email Timberking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Friday, saturday, Sunday off of work but it rained all three days. Next two days off are Wed/Thur and the weather report is looking GREAT. I will be out those days fer sure!
Posts: 232 | From: Hibbing, Mn. | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mparks   Author's Homepage   Email mparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ma nature just hasn't cooperated very well thus far. I've only been out a few times. Nothing to report. Sure is nice to be able to climb in a stand and relax for awhile though.

The summer was certainly slow on our forum. I do see more activity on things like the PowWow and Facebook so we need to remember that the members are spread out. I know I don't check in here as often as I used to. Let's hope we can get things rolling a little with the Deer Diary again this year. I'll post updates when I get a chance to spend some time in the woods.

How about a quick update from the guys that are viewing? You've seen my report from Southern Genesee County(for what it's worth:)) How's things in your neck of the woods?

Posts: 431 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Monroe County....mosquitos STILL very active!...my son and I enjoyed the slightly cooler temps, fed some mosquitos and actually saw three deer.

One was a buck, with ONE scraggly, twisted antler.

Not sure how I missed it before, but a travel corridor was revealed this evening!

A heavy frost would REALLY help with the mosquitos! As of yet, we have not had a frost in my area.

Heartfelt wishes of luck to all!

mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mparks   Author's Homepage   Email mparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ventured out to one of my better spots tonight. No deer but I had the good luck to see two coon snuggled up together in a den tree. Reminded me of a picture on one of the plaques my dad or I won when we were running coon dog night hunts. A little chill in the air made it feel like deer season. I did swat a few skeeters though! [knothead]
Posts: 431 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomwatson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomwatson   Email tomwatson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MTB Councilman Ryan Macut just took a nice doe last night up near Iron River. 20 yard shot with his 70's Bear Grizzly, cedar shafts with Razorheads. Congratulations Ryan!

Tom

--------------------
“To chase game with the ghosts of other hunters from other times-that's all he really asks." - The Restless Spirit.

Posts: 335 | From: Dundee, MI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vesty
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vesty   Email Vesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monday night at 6:20 PM, I was in my tree stand that I have up on the edge of an old logging road that runs through my property. I was standing and looking to the east along the property line which usually is a corridor. Suddenly my 6th sense kicked in and something told me to turn in the other direction.....SLOWLY. Almost right under me stood a 6pt. buck that I have seen on my trail cam. The wind was in my face and he was clueless of my presence. He was at an odd angle so I needed him to shift a little and move his front leg. He did and I released my douglas fir shaft with Stos broadhead. Pretty steep angle even though my stand is only 12ft. off the ground. The shaft drove down through his ribcage. 80 yd. recovery. Double lunged. The shaft must have hit a rib on opposite side because I found the broadhead and about an inch of shaft in the body cavity when I field dressed it.This was my first shot with my new this summer Two Tracks Echo longbow. I'm blessed. I failed to mention that shot distance was 6 yds.
Posts: 422 | From: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Congrats Vesty!
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©