JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » DEER DIARY 2013 SEASON (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DEER DIARY 2013 SEASON
Vesty
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vesty   Email Vesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Don. I appreciate that. I'm heading out in the morning with my son. I do wish it was cooler.It's nice for sitting but not alot of deer movement. As I found though, Monday night, it only takes a moment for things to change real fast.
Posts: 422 | From: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoubleJ1929
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoubleJ1929   Email DoubleJ1929   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made it out twice last weekend. I passed on a couple does and seen no bucks. My hunting partner is still not fully committed to trad gear but did carry his recurve Sunday night. He missed a nice 2.5yr old buck at 18 yds. Obviously mad for the miss but he was pumped to have been that close to his first trad deer.
Should be able to get out a couple times this weekend.

--------------------
Morrison Dakota 58" 56@28
Bob Lee Signature 60" 56@28
Bear Super Grizzly 58" 50@28
Robertson Falcon Vision 60" 61@27

Posts: 145 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mparks   Author's Homepage   Email mparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two smaller bucks passed by just beyond my shooting lane this morning. The bigger one needed to just take about one step left when he went right.
Posts: 431 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vesty
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vesty   Email Vesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With cooler weather on it's way, the woods may come alive for us. It sure is good being out, isn't it guys.
Posts: 422 | From: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
finkm1
Contributor 2017
Member # 22045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finkm1   Email finkm1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been hunting the Maple River State Game Area for a few years. That area was hit hard by EHD last year. I did see a few bucks early last year but not much during the rut. Still, am not seeing deer. I think it will take 3-5 more years for the deer to come back. I still enjoy being in the woods but it is frustrating remembering what the local herd was like. Going up to Grayling next weekend and am going to hunt hard.

--------------------
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Posts: 658 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vesty
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4615

My son and I had a pretty good day, yesterday ,though no deer were taken.I had a 4pt. come by my stand at 9:20 AM. I'm hunting antlerless only now having filled my archery tag. He was 10yds. broadside just meandering and in my mind I slipped my broadhead through those very visible ribs. When I hooked up with my son around 11:00, he said he had a group of bucks come by him a little after 9:00. 4pt.,6pt., and 8pt. He almost had a shot on the 6pt. but didn't feel confident enough to release his arrow. Before he got down from his stand, he shot a black squirrel and we fried it up over the campfire back at the cabin. It was quite good but short on meat! I'm so blessed my son has taken to traditional archery and we can hunt together.Being with him makes my day.
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean Vesty...hunting with my two sons is by far my favorite part.
Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cool, light, rain had me wishing I could go hunting this evening.

I was cruising down I-75, a short way south of Birch Run, and I happened to spot a burly looking buck with thick, white antlers...a beautiful sight, but it didn`t exactly ease the pain of not being out in the woods!

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Folts
Contributor 2017
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Folts   Email T Folts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was blessed to take a 6 point on state land west of Baldwin last week. Scouted almost an enitre day until I found what I was looking for, set up wed nite, hunted it Thursday nite had a four point sniffing like a hound dog looking for acorns, then this buck starts to come in twice to the oaks I was in, he tried winding me but on his second attemt to circle me I shot him at 16 yards at a angle the arrow passed through his left side into the shoulderblade and out halfway down his front leg and stcuck in the dirt. Talk about penetration. He rand 40 yards or so. Easy find.

--------------------
US ARMY 1984-1988

Posts: 2306 | From: Fowlerville,MI | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vesty
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4615

Congratulations Terry. That is some great penetration. Heavy arrow?
T Folts
Contributor 2017
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Folts   Email T Folts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full length GT35/55 with 185 gr up front. STOS broadhead razor sharp. Shooting 49# +-

--------------------
US ARMY 1984-1988

Posts: 2306 | From: Fowlerville,MI | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todweelz   Email Todweelz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats again Terry, Was that the bow I got to shoot at GLLI ? Going up scouting Sun. then camp starts on Thurs, if your up there next weekend give me a call, maybe we can meet up for lunch.
Posts: 862 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Folts
Contributor 2017
Member # 5126

No, I sold that one. It is my hunting bow I used last year, its getting some mojo in her for sure. Good luck, where you going up to?

--------------------
US ARMY 1984-1988

Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Congrats on the buck!...Hunted this evening and with near perfect conditions we saw/heard nothing...good to get some air though.
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todweelz   Email Todweelz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are agout 15 minutes north of baldwin and 5 minutes south of Irons. All state land we have been setting up tent camp there for 12 years now. looking forward to it not alot of good bucks more does than you can count, only 100 doe permits for that area?? weather report looks good 40s for highs 20s for lows. Looking forward to brats from the dublin store cooked over an open fire.
Posts: 862 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©