JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » DEER DIARY 2013 SEASON (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DEER DIARY 2013 SEASON
DoubleJ1929
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoubleJ1929   Email DoubleJ1929   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great weekend of hunting. Had fellow Trad Ganger Wyoming Chief and Mrs. Chief down to hunt with buddy and I. Lots of deer sightings but no arows released.
I had a great encounter with a 7x6 13 point. Lesson learned... Take first good shot presented. He was 21 yards out and I decided to wait because he was headed to a scrape at 15 yards out. Well instead of hitting scrape he turned and fed out into field. Was between 40 and 50 yards for 10 minutes just chowing down. Good news is he had no idea I was there so hopefully I will be given that RARE second chance??

--------------------
Morrison Dakota 58" 56@28
Bob Lee Signature 60" 56@28
Bear Super Grizzly 58" 50@28
Robertson Falcon Vision 60" 61@27

Posts: 145 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vesty
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vesty   Email Vesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son shot his first deer Saturday morning. The photo and story are on Stickbow under "My son's first deer" Check it out.
Posts: 422 | From: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
finkm1
Contributor 2017
Member # 22045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finkm1   Email finkm1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a 6pt come in perfect. MISSED!!!! oh well shot high. and he may have ducked a little but it was still high. A clean miss is better than a bad hit.

--------------------
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Posts: 658 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEARL DRUMS   Email PEARL DRUMS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep after them Mike! My buddy hunts east down Wilson road about 3 miles. He is starting to see a few deer. I guess we have had only one fawning season since the break out. My guess is we will need 4-5 more to get back to good huntable numbers of deer.
Posts: 3690 | From: CENTRAL MICHIGAN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
finkm1
Contributor 2017
Member # 22045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finkm1   Email finkm1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep that's what I figure, 3-4 more years. I will do my part by not shooting a doe for a while. Spent a couple of hours moving a stand and getting my 2 RUT stands ready. I usually stay out of my rut area after I hang the stands in early September. I quietly went in to check the stands and put a pull up rope and hooks in the tree. The trails were more worn than last year. That's a good sign. So far there has not been as many hunters as previous years.

--------------------
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Posts: 658 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEARL DRUMS   Email PEARL DRUMS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed less hunters to. I guess when the odds get tougher some folks back away........and that's okay by me!
Posts: 3690 | From: CENTRAL MICHIGAN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got busted by a matriarch doe this evening.

I was trying to hide in the same spot with my son because the N.W. wind eliminated a scouted spot.

She was SO cautious...I knew it wasn`t gonna work. She was BIG!

She was leading a big group of deer because we saw all the flags waving goodbye!

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timberking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timberking   Email Timberking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The deer are really starting to move now. went out this morning and sat on the ground and saw 7. One year and a half old buck and the rest does and fawns. No shots! After I got back from this mornings sit I hung a stand in a new tree on our property and went and sat it this evening and had five does and fawns come in eating acorns. The only problem was way to many eyes and again NO shots... I'll be heading out tomorrow morning and sitting the tree stand again and hopefully filling a tag!
Posts: 232 | From: Hibbing, Mn. | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

The moon phase is just right for lots of sightings, if you are into that deal. I go no matter what phase the moon is in, so it really doesn't matter much! I seen two last night and my son seen thirteen, no string dropping.
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mparks   Author's Homepage   Email mparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reports guys! Excited to hear the rut action getting started. I'll be in a tree in Huron County this weekend. Time to put in some serious stand time this time of year, IMO.
Posts: 431 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Folts
Contributor 2017
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Folts   Email T Folts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've go pics of three great bucks on camera from one stand I'll be out tonite and the weekend. Havent hunted sence Monday so I'm ready...

--------------------
US ARMY 1984-1988

Posts: 2306 | From: Fowlerville,MI | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtrema312
Contributor 2014
Member # 18854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtrema312   Email xtrema312   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunted Friday and saw a couple bucks in the am. One went the other way after coming close just before shooting light. I think he did a lot of scrape work near another Stand. i walked in that way and the area was not as worked as it was on the way out. Second was checking scraps near me and only offered a walking shot at my max range while looking in my direction. That was a no go. He went straight on his path rather than making the turn to the scrape in front of me.

These are the first bucks I have seen since the start of the season other than one real early on a warm night. I think he got kicked up by another hunter. I don't even have trail cam picks of any moving in daylight for a while now.

evening was real windy so hit a spot tucked in down wind of a hill near a Swamp. Wind speed dropped of some wiyh the sun set and a doe with twins and a just one of the kids acting 4pt showed. She picked me off getting into position for a shot so I had to wait her out and just watch them at 10 yd. Finally got her settled and quartering but buck had me in his direct line of site as he ate leaves from a low branch with very few leaves on it. Can't believe he didn't see me looking directly at me broadside inside 10 yd. Once he moved there was no shot on he or him. They circled in the cover and popped back out down the trail. She was watching my way and I just didn't feel she was relaxed for a shot. By time he popped out light was about gone. It took me to long to be sure it was him and not a twin. By time I got on him he moved and the hunt was done.

Interesting that he just seemed to be one of the group. I have also seen pics of this over the last two months. I have a couple small bucks hanging with doe routinely showing up in feed spots together. I figured last year siblings but those were not a doe with fawns. It is not that I have never seen this but not near as much as I have this year.

Looks like the bucks are starting to move in daylight again in my area finally.

25 mile winds and rain this morning so didn't venture out. Going to move a stand or two today mid day with the wet and wind to keep the nose level of my activists to a minimum.

I will be interested to see if anyone in SW mi was out this morning and what they saw. Come next week I will hunt about any weather.

I am going back to the same spot I think where I was last night and hope the wind dies down at sun set and something moves.

--------------------
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Posts: 4040 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mparks   Author's Homepage   Email mparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back home from a weekend of hunting the thumb. Had a few chances at a doe that just wouldn't take that last step. Saw one 6pt at about 4:30 in the afternoon.

Came home yesterday to Genesee County. Decided to get in a hunt near home. With just a few minutes left of shooting light a plump, little 6 point strolled by.

-

60# Tall Tines. 145gr Abowyer Bonehead with 100gr insert. Easton FMJ 400.

Good luck the rest of the season! I guess I'm a doe or "trophy" buck hunter for the rest of this year. [Smile]

Posts: 431 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Nice work Mr. Parks!
Timberking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timberking   Email Timberking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!
Posts: 232 | From: Hibbing, Mn. | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©