JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » Michigan public land hunters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Michigan public land hunters
Mojostick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mojostick   Email Mojostick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd keep my one on the Martiny State Game Area, bigtime. Hunters often shy away from places recently timbered because they wrongly believe deer like big, unbroken forest. Deer love the edge. Cuttings cause lots of edge.

In this case, most hunters in the state won't even know the cutting is happening.

I'd also strongly suggest you call Pete Kailing. I've met him at the Big Rapids check station a couple times and talked to him on the phone a half dozen times. He's a super helpful DNR biologist from the area. He took over for Jeff Green who recently retired, in my opinion the best and most helpful deer biologist you'll ever meet. See if he can forward you a map of the cutting area's and cutting schedule.

There's lots of public land hunters in Michigan, but not that many that do long range/long term recon work. Most public land hunters won't even know this has occurred and come bow season they'll go back to their familiar, old growth deerless desert public land and stare at some red squirrels while cursing the DNR. Don't be that guy.
I'm not posting this anywhere else but tradgang, so the Michigan public land trad guys can get a jump start. [Wink]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 2, 2014

Contact: Pete Kailing, 231-527-0020 or Ed Golder, 517-284-5815

Mecosta County's Martiny State Game Area benefits from
Michigan's new hunting and fishing license structure

In Mecosta County, acres of public land at Martiny State Game Area are being utilized to their fullest potential through management activities made possible by Michigan's new hunting and fishing license structure, which took effect earlier this year.

Under the new license structure, one big change is evident when hunters buy their first license of the year. A one-time base license, which includes a small game license, must be purchased before hunters can buy any other hunting license. The base license cost varies based upon age and residency; what doesn’t vary is the investment (from base license-generated revenue) in Michigan's wildlife habitat.

“We are doing some really exciting work at the Martiny State Game Area,” said DNR wildlife biologist Pete Kailing. “Timber sales are the best way to hit the reset button on a forest, which really maximizes the wildlife value to the area.”

At Martiny SGA, DNR wildlife biologists and foresters selected timber to be removed and, with Dan Bundy Logging of Lake City, cut trees for pulp wood and shipped them to several local mills. Limbs were used to construct large brush piles that make excellent habitat for small animals. Certain large mast trees, like oak and beech, were not cut in order to maintain a continued food source for wildlife and provide a seed source for the next generation of trees. Although most trees on the game area were selected to be cut, large, standing dead trees also were left for those animals, like pileated woodpeckers, that require a cavity for nesting.

Aspen is a tree you have to cut down in order for new aspen to grow,” said DNR forester Mike Lesinski. “Thick, young aspen are a great year-round food source for so many animals, and in one season aspen saplings can shoot up several feet – they are very fast growers.”

The area looks a lot different after the timber sale, but the benefits will be immediate. When trees are cut, they instantly become a great food source for deer during a harsh winter, because deer will eat the tops of recently cut timber. The timber sale also enabled the construction of brush piles to provide escape and nesting cover for small animals like rabbits, ruffed grouse, rodents, amphibians and song birds. As a result, a more abundant small game population will be found at Martiny State Game Area, and even better opportunities for small game hunting will be available for hunters when they purchase the base license.

Because of the new hunting and fishing license structure, hunters and wildlife viewers will see other changes like this in other parts of the 6,300-acre Martiny State Game Area as well as other areas throughout the state. The license structure also made possible new DNR grant programs for wildlife habitat work on both public and private land, as well as aquatic habitat work.

Posts: 2280 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Izzy
Contributor 2016
Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy   Email Izzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very solid of you to post this. Im not gonna get into it further than saying that I wish the state game lands were responsibly managed here as well. [banghead]
Posts: 8503 | From: latham, new york | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uncle Buck   Email Uncle Buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back in the 1980 they clear cut a huge area just north of Lupton MI. 4 years later it was a jungle of small poplars and an absolute deer factory. The brush piles they left behind made great ground blinds
Posts: 582 | From: Canton Georgia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear Heart   Email Bear Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I politely suggest that you PM this to the tradgang members in MI. When you do a google search for Martiny State Game Area this post will come up. I know this because I did a google search for a hunting area here and had a tradgang post pop up.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Posts: 2134 | From: Southwest Idaho | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear Heart   Email Bear Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is on the bottom of page two on a google search of "martiny state game area bowhunting" and on page three for "martiny state game area"

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Posts: 2134 | From: Southwest Idaho | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mojostick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mojostick   Email Mojostick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michigan has the most public land east of the Mississippi. This parcel is a speck on the canvas. The truth is, about 98% of guys go where they went the year before...and the year before, and the years before when their dad took them to the same area.

Even most Michigan public land guys reading this now will likely still go back to the public land they're familiar with. This post was for the guys that are unhappy with their public land experience, claim they want to do something about it and will actually put their arrows where their shelf is. And that number, in my experience, is very small. If 20 people actually take advantage of this info, I'd be shocked. But great for those 20 and I hope I helped their hunt in a tiny way.

Posts: 2280 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As one of the "public land" hunters, I can tell you, the reason so many don`t do the "recon" is because of the money.

I did the "recon" thing last season, starting in June.

I spent a TON of money, and racked up many miles.

What I found, is that deer numbers are poor in MOST areas of public land in Michigan.

There ARE some areas with poor habitat...with minimal knowledge, those areas are EASILY avoided.

The problem then becomes one of being an "invader", whereas, you show up in an area that you KNOW will hold deer because you have been doing this for so long and you "invade" the precious hunting area of another hunter or group of hunters.

Been there, done that.

For those who CANNOT travel to find some good hunting...I am truly sorry. The honey hole that was once just down the road will not be coming back any time soon.

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, I applaud your willingness to help.

There are many hunters out there who are giving up and really need help.

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Norris   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Mojostick.

I hunt public land quite a bit. A little homework and boot leather is all it takes.

--------------------
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
www.Tradwoodsman.com What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Posts: 3979 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have hunted the Haymarsh state game area just to the north of the Martiny area. It used to have a pretty good deer population although I have not been back for probably 10 years. If you are nearby, it is definitely worth a look.

--------------------
“The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted.” James Madison

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 933 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kill shot   Author's Homepage   Email kill shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojostick is right. The Rogue River state game area needs some clear cutting cuz there is very little understory in the woods. Some areas even have a park like appearance. The swampy areas hold a few deer. On another note, there are areas of state land up around Millersburg that go years without being hunted. Cedar swamps near farmland. Places to stay up there are scarce. It's in N,E. Mi in the area known as club country. Most of the hunters up there are happy to just hunt there own land.
Posts: 1051 | From: kent city,mi | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©