JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » 2014 Turkey Diary

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2014 Turkey Diary
Drew
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew   Email Drew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's getting close to that time again....So let's go, post up pics of your set ups, scouting pics, turkey pics, stomping grounds where ya chase them...anything Turkey hunting with a stickbow related!

--------------------
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Posts: 2004 | From: St. Johns, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DBGJR
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DBGJR   Email DBGJR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be chasing turkeys and deer with a special bow this year. My good buddy Jim Larsen can't shoot his trad bows because of bad shoulders and he asked if I wanted to use his St, Charles dual shelf Thunderbird. I pick it up Friday evening and i'll try and get some pics up.
Posts: 206 | From: sparta mi | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anointed Archer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anointed Archer   Email Anointed Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool Dick! Good luck everyone.

--------------------
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Posts: 1744 | From: Greenville, Mi. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2017
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spotted these on the way to work a few days ago, I forgot my phone and had to go back and get it which put me about 25 min behind, it was dark the first time I drove by the place.

The land owner's son is a builder who I've done Electrical work for in the past, he lives on one corner of the property and gave me the "green light" if I want to hunt it. [thumbsup]

Eric
 -

-

-

-

Posts: 3661 | From: Manton Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bear1336
Contributor 2014
Member # 1161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bear1336   Email bear1336   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our season started Mar 25 and I have been out a few times and have seen some birds but nothing came in close for a shot. Still have over a month to hunt down here will continue to try and nail one.
Dave

--------------------
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Posts: 2830 | From: Covington, Ga | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DGF
Contributor 2012
Member # 35052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DGF   Email DGF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent Friday afternoon working on a ground blind for this years spring season. I still have a bit of work to do to it on one side and a bit more up top but I'm happy with the way it's taking shape.

-

I also managed to find evidence at least a few birds have made it through the winter.

-

-Dan

Posts: 229 | From: Wyoming, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todweelz   Email Todweelz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ready for Monday, have the first season have scouted a bunch this year. After a 2yr break from hunting with my longbow [ never stopped shooting it] I'm back to shooting like my old self and feeling good about monday. Shooting my Tanjavur longbow, 56" 52#@27, 550gr carbons w/ woodsmans, waiting on a new 3pc from Terry with some extra special quilted mango veneers on the limbs, and a beuatiful bacote riser. Don't know if I will get to hunt with it, but sure will if I have it to hunt with it. Good luck to everyone ! Todd
Posts: 862 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
finkm1
Contributor 2017
Member # 22045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finkm1   Email finkm1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOOD LUCK!!! to all ZZ hunters. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Posts: 661 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todweelz   Email Todweelz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning today, Birds gobbled hard on the roost and shut down when they hit the ground. I was hunting with my 68yr old uncle he took his first turkey ever not trad 25.7#, 10" beard. I on the other hand was hunting with my longbow,we had a nice tom come in at 6yds strutting and spitting at my dekes. picked a spot and let one go, hit my mark clean, looked for 4 hours still no bird!! Turkeys have evaded me for a long time now with trad gear, last 3yrs Ive taken 3 with non trad archery tackle, I know were to aim !! I'm at a loss and sick, I just don't get it, very frustraed and its only the first day. Will touch up heads and get after them again tues or weds, Todd
Posts: 862 | From: North Branch, Michigan | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Uneventful morning today, heard a couple of gobbles but they were pretty distant. Saw couple of does and found a nice 8pt shed while stump shooting back to the truck. Have a road trip planned to pick up new bow Fri evening, might get to hunt it this weekend if I can tune it in quickly. Or it will wait til Mon. or tues, finishing up a couple of capes tonite so I can get back out in the morning. Todd
Todweelz
Contributor 2010
Member # 12614

Sat for 8hrs today, had 3 good birds come in at different times. All 3 busted me drawing the bow?? only had 2 smallish windows open w/ screens closed, I was blacked out and in opposite corner of the blind, so not sure what they saw?? Have couple of deer forms to prep and a walleye to mount so no hunt tomorow. Back to it sat-sun going to tape up seams on blind too, think to much light coming in, might be time to invest in a double bull the Yukon Tracks has been very iffy for birds, maybe to much light and to big, just makes them skittish, Todd
finkm1
Contributor 2017
Member # 22045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finkm1   Email finkm1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well..... another turkey season has come and gone. I hunted 234 with a bow till Saturday morning (May 31st). The birds just would not come close enough for a shot. Tried different setups but nothing worked, so the last morning I took my trusty shotgun and put a little stalk on them and reached out and touched one in the head at 50 yards. I've missed a bird each of the last two years with my recurve and hoping this would be the year to connect. We'll see what happens next year.

--------------------
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Posts: 661 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©