JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » Tree stands on public land

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tree stands on public land
last arrow
Contributor 2017
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's time to make sure you treestands are out of the woods - see the link below. It seems like a lot of hunters are treating the $29 treestand as disposable and leaving them up. I took about a mile walk last night on public land and saw 3 treestands and a fabric blind still in the woods. The blind was caved in from the snow so it was obviously abandoned.

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/fdeb4a

--------------------
“The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted.” James Madison

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 923 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree. Last fall I removed a handful of screw in steps that was left in the tree from the year before. The steps were there but there was no stand. There is also an abandon tree stand that is going to be removed later next month. That thing has been up for 3 years now.

When I do an antler drop walk I remove all flags and tree tacks that I run into.

Posts: 2894 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2017
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the Manistee National Forest a few years ago mushroom hunting and a Forest Service employee stopped by as I was coming out of the woods and asked if I had seen any tree-stands. She indicated that they have collage students working for the summer and they use tree stand removal as part of their work. She was out interviewing people so she could put a map together for the removal. They are concerned with trees growing around steel steps, nails, chains etc and then damaging the wood cutting/chipping machinery when the trees are harvested (after all lumber and pulp are the primary reason for the national forests existence). So it is costing us tax-payer money to clean up after people that are to lazy to take their stands down.

--------------------
“The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted.” James Madison

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 923 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©