JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » Deer numbers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Deer numbers
photohunt
Member # 5801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for photohunt   Email photohunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the amount of doe permits available most areas do not have a large deer population. How has that affected you about where you go or decide to hunt?
Posts: 7 | From: Holland, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 23058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARMA   Email KARMA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunt in the Southern counties most of the time. I also hit the U.P. when I can. I have seen very few deer across the bridge, but it won't ever keep me from going. It isn't about deer as much as it is about camp, the guys, the peace etc. Deer are the least important, just a bonus.

--------------------
And they shall see teal... sheldrakes, whistlers, and black ducks, ospreys, and many other wild and noble sights before night, such as they who sit in parlors never dream of. Thoreau.

Posts: 53 | From: Clarklake Michigan | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2017
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hunt mainly in the Manistee National Forest and the numbers have been low for at least 10 years. I still go because that's where my camp is.

--------------------
“The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted.” James Madison

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 923 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A deer population well under the carrying capacity is going to be the norm from here on out.

I have not travelled to the U.P. to deer hunt for over 10 years because of the ridiculously low deer numbers. I figure the people who live up there are entitled to some relief from Trolls like me.

From my scouting in the N.E. lower, deer numbers are about the same as last year. At least there are some tracks in the sand. WAY better than a couple years back.

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2017
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A deer population well under the carrying capacity is going to be the norm from here on out."

Bonebuster is right, those of us that have been hunting awhile need to adjust to the new normal. Start saying we had high populations in the 80s and 90s and now we have normal populations.

--------------------

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 923 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEARL DRUMS   Email PEARL DRUMS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes "Let 'em go and let em' grow" even harder to do for some hunters. I never have, so my adjustment will be quick!
Posts: 3690 | From: CENTRAL MICHIGAN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2017
Member # 7746

I'm in the Northwest MI QDM area. I'm yet to see a leagal buck while hunting since it when in effect 2 years ago. I don't think many are "lettin em grow".

--------------------

TGMM "Family of the Bow"

PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEARL DRUMS   Email PEARL DRUMS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother in law has a place near Leland. They see a few older bucks every season. But, that's very agricultural through there, low pressure and lots of empty house and cottages by October.

I like to eat venison. I leave the does alone for the most part. Maybe take one every few seasons, I see few. I will take the first legal buck I come across quite often. I figure its the best critter to take out of the herd when numbers are like they are.

Posts: 3690 | From: CENTRAL MICHIGAN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anointed Archer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anointed Archer   Email Anointed Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree that the deer herd we are currently experience is the new normal. Between the liberal doe tags, extended and new hunting seasons for every and all the special groups and weapons used plus all the diseases we are now encounteing we are just going to need to adjust the way we hunt and where we hunt.

Being a deer hunter I will attempt to harvest what I legally can whether it be a buck or doe if the area I hunt has the numbers to support what's legal. As we all know just because it's legal doesn't necessarily mean it's the best practice. For example when the EHD hit our area it was legal to hunt my area, but all of the neighbors got together and WE decided not to hunt our property's for two years. This is the third year and we are seeing a new health herd.

So I believe deer hunting will be different going forward, so we will need to adapt and overcome!

--------------------
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Posts: 1735 | From: Greenville, Mi. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

It will make the already special feeling of shooting a deer even more special when we have to hunt harder for them, Jeff.
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of what always made hunting special was "the wise use"..."taking the surplus" of a renewable resource.

In reality, many areas have NO "surplus", so "wise use" is an oxymoron.

Where I hunt, numbers ARE better than a few years ago.

I may even consider killing a deer this year.

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They started the QDM about 3 years ago in the area that I hunt. Last year was the best year in many years for seeing deer and especially larger rack bucks.

I have chosen not to take a shot with a bow for 3 years now. Just don't want to I guess. I get really excited for my grandkids when they come in after a hunt. Love listening to their stories seeing deer. Last year my 12 year old grandson shot his first deer with a bow. what an adventure for him and me.

Posts: 2894 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fireball31
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fireball31   Email fireball31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Numbers are pretty good around me. Completely out of wack buck to doe ratio though. I counted 102 deer in one heard destroying the soybean field behind my house this winter. I figure things must have been tough for them to be grinding through that stuff in january. I did the smart thing and took pictures and video of all the deer. Brought that to the farmer and was able to obtain permission this year. I plan on shooting at least 4 does this year. I think the numbers in the UP were much higher than what that landscape should be able to hold due to the agriculture. Numbers are much closer to what they were pre farming. Old growth forest is a veritable wasteland for large fauna.
Posts: 716 | From: Sand lake, MI | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©