JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » Deer Diary 2015 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Deer Diary 2015
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mparks   Author's Homepage   Email mparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got out for a few hours tonight. Great wind for one of my favorite spots. Nice to have a little nip in the air with the 20mph breezes here in Genesee County. Feels like huntin' season!

Not a whole lot of action. Many squirrels working hard on what looks to be a bumper mast crop. A young coon. And finally a lone doe that was border-line eating size and didn't give me enough chance to size up.

Just happy to be out in the woods again!

Good luck MTBers. Let's try and keep this rolling with some reports from around the state. Just a few lines about how things are going in your area makes for interesting reading for the rest of us. Doesn't need to be a full blown Mort Neff/Fred Trost/Bob Garner/Jimmy Gretzenger story. [Smile]

Posts: 431 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DBGJR
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DBGJR   Email DBGJR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for starting this up Mick.Working 12 hr night shift, won't get out until Saturday morning. Can't wait
Posts: 206 | From: sparta mi | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DEER DIARY 2015!!!!

YEAY BUDDY!!!!

Hunted the evening of the opener with my oldest son...

We both ended up seeing deer.

I watched a big doe and her fawn pick up acorns for almost an hour...then the wind must have carried my scent to her because she went on alert and cautiously left the area.

My son described a big doe and her fawn that started down the runway he was watching, and as they got close enough for a shot, the doe veered off thru the thick brush where he had no shot.

It was GREAT to feel the cool breeze and just sit still in a tree for the evening.

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JackP
Contributor 2015
Member # 18310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JackP   Email JackP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was great to get back in the stand again! Sat Friday morning and passed on two does. Went out last night with the fiance and we passed on three more does.

I had a few good bucks showing up on the trail cam in August, hoping they will return shortly.

So far, knock on wood, deer numbers seem to be better than last year. Had more pictures on the trail cam this year than any other year. Hoping for a promising season.

Posts: 179 | From: Lapeer, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mparks   Author's Homepage   Email mparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunted quite a bit this weekend. Passed on a forky. Saw a few does and fawns but nothing else of freezer size gave me an opportunity.
Posts: 431 | From: Swartz Creek, MI | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anointed Archer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anointed Archer   Email Anointed Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a beautiful 8pt in range but no shot opportunity. Yesterday morning had 8 doe's and fawns with 1 small buck working there way towards me until the neighbor spooked them. So far it's been a good start to bow season!

--------------------
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Posts: 1735 | From: Greenville, Mi. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abbatoys
Contributor 2017
Member # 5044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbatoys   Email abbatoys   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunted opening night at my property up north and saw a few does but nice to be out and not be 80 degrees. Sat tonight behind the house with my 8 year old she got bored and headed for the house, 5 minutes later 2 does come in 5 yards broadside but passed on the shots because my daughter wants to see me shoot one....

--------------------
62" Thunderstick Moab 52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Kodiak 50lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Posts: 963 | From: Rockford / Hesperia, MI. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

Skeeters were bad last night! At least the wind switched away from the NE.
PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEARL DRUMS   Email PEARL DRUMS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a fun hunt last night on my buddies farm. His rules are right up my alley. You can shoot any buck you plan to head mount, or anything 4 points or less. I had a 4 1/3 point [Smile] come out grunting his HEAD OFF! I've heard pretty much all the sounds and noises deer make. But this guy? He was grunting so hard he would squeak out, like a grunt tube will when you try to play a tune for fun with it. It was funny. I could have shot (at) him, but chose to snap a few pics and watch him harass other deer.
Posts: 3690 | From: CENTRAL MICHIGAN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

I've been seeing this guy in my trail cam
 -

All came together Thursday night. Full story on PowWow "Put it on my tab"

-

last arrow
Contributor 2017
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Job, Glad someone is having some luck.

--------------------
“The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted.” James Madison

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 923 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2017
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tired of antler point restrictions. I had two separate non legal bucks giving all kinds of shot opportunities this weekend.

--------------------

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 923 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mparks
Contributor 2015
Member # 4122

I can relate Blaine. I'll be hunting in the NW "Trophy Zone" in a few weeks. It is even tougher to paint 3 points on a side that it was to paint 3" of antler a few years ago!

Recent events not withstanding I'm a meat hunter! [archer2]

PEARL DRUMS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEARL DRUMS   Email PEARL DRUMS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you guys. I didn't like it when they talked about trying it and I still don't. You cant charge the same money for a tag and then tell one hunter he can shoot anything resembling a deer but the guy in Traverse has the same license and has to watch them walk around his stand. Its crap. If I wanted to live in a "trophy" state, Id move. That being said, I have no restrictions around here. I just get feisty when rights are taken away, especially to grow "good" bucks. Its BS.
Posts: 3690 | From: CENTRAL MICHIGAN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2017
Member # 7746

I have 10 acres on the Mason/Manistee county line surrounded by federal land. I am yet to see a legal buck since the antler restrictions went in. Makes me think the rule is being ignored by most folks.

But at the same time, its where I go to hunt and has been for a long time.

--------------------

TGMM "Family of the Bow"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©