JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » Just New and looking to learn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just New and looking to learn
Corey713
Member # 44486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corey713   Email Corey713   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, Im pretty new to the traditional archery thing. I have shot compound for about 15 years now, but the fun just isn't there anymore. On top of that there is just to much to rely on with compounds, and there just isn't that connection with the bow. So after lots of shopping and talking with different people at archery shops i go to. I was pointed in the direction of Jim Belcher and Sky archery. Jim and his wife are awesome, Great people great shop and amazing bows. Since i have purchased a trophy long bow 30#@28" 66" and a Thunder recurve 55#@28" 56". I was wondering if anyone could help me to decide on what arrows to shoot. I have been playing around with some old aluminum's that I threw some feathers on. I like the larger diameter but they are just plain old heavy. was thinking cedar but i know nothing about cedar arrows. Anything would be a help.

Thank you all

--------------------
Good things come to those who shoot straight

Posts: 3 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew   Email Drew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corey, 30-35 spine woodies and 60-65 would be a good starting point...depending on what point weight you wanted and if you were drawing a full 28"

--------------------
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Posts: 2000 | From: St. Johns, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corey713
Member # 44486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corey713   Email Corey713   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I have a 28.5" draw length and do you have any recommendations for point weight? Planned on a fixed 2 blade for hunting

--------------------
Good things come to those who shoot straight

Posts: 3 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 23058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARMA   Email KARMA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Corey.
Depending on where you live in Michigan,you may want to check out the Traditional Expo that starts the 29th in Kalamazoo. Also the MTB Banquet in Grand Rapids at the end of February.

--------------------
And they shall see teal... sheldrakes, whistlers, and black ducks, ospreys, and many other wild and noble sights before night, such as they who sit in parlors never dream of. Thoreau.

Posts: 53 | From: Clarklake Michigan | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kill shot   Author's Homepage   Email kill shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use aluminums, and heavy ones. Heavy arrows quiet a bow down and add to penetration. I also like cedars. Lots of good things about wooden shafts. The trying to decide part is fun.
Posts: 1051 | From: kent city,mi | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©