JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » MICHIGAN - Michigan Traditional Bowhunters » Disappointed in the jamboree (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Disappointed in the jamboree
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have missed the Grayling shoot for the last several years because of graduation events/parties.

The last two years I also had to miss the Compton shoot for the same reason.

Showing support by attending these events for friends and family is very important. This coming year will be a repeat.

I wonder how many people are doing the same thing I am?

Posts: 3496 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Frost
Contributor 2016
Member # 43292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Frost   Email Lady Frost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope this and other trad events can be revived more. These events are what I live for at the moment.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Posts: 409 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibow
Contributor 2014
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ibow   Email Ibow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... I haven't posted or been involved for years now. First time I've looked at this site in a very, very long time. All I can say is some things never change.

Dick Gardner, I give you a ton of credit for hanging in there after after all these years. You're the best.

Killshot, ditto what Drew said above. Get involved.

I miss the good ol' times with MTB. I miss Scott Bishop. I miss guys like Dick Gardner, Dave & Don McKellar, Les Osborne and Dan Macut. So many others.

Posts: 1211 | From: Hudsonville, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 23058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARMA   Email KARMA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Chuck!

--------------------
And they shall see teal... sheldrakes, whistlers, and black ducks, ospreys, and many other wild and noble sights before night, such as they who sit in parlors never dream of. Thoreau.

Posts: 53 | From: Clarklake Michigan | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kill shot   Author's Homepage   Email kill shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all I know about the mtb meetings they are once a year at the jamboree. So I guess I'll be at the next meeting and will help out two years from now.
Posts: 1051 | From: kent city,mi | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 23058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARMA   Email KARMA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are meetings at Tomahawk in the spring. Also at the banquet, and at the Expo in Kzoo.

--------------------
And they shall see teal... sheldrakes, whistlers, and black ducks, ospreys, and many other wild and noble sights before night, such as they who sit in parlors never dream of. Thoreau.

Posts: 53 | From: Clarklake Michigan | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kill shot   Author's Homepage   Email kill shot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it before or after the banquet?
Posts: 1051 | From: kent city,mi | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 23058

Normally before the banquet.

--------------------

Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please excuse this intrusion from a total outsider, but I have been paying attention to this site for a while. My daughter has recently moved to East Lansing, so there is a chance I may be able to get up to Michigan in the not too distant future, and attending a shoot up north would be fun.

I wonder if the decline in your endeavors may be partly due to lack of publicity. Does your secretary start 5 or 6 months ahead of the shoot to do a publicity blitz? In addition to posting something here or in your newsletter, do you write multiple times the various archery clubs in and around Michigan to directly invite their member ship to participate? I will tread lightly on this suggestion, but what about contacting some of the compound clubs that might have members who wish to "come into the light"? Of course, you would have to make it clear that they can't shoot their wheelie bows. You would also need volunteers on stand by to introduce these people to real archery. Down here in Dixie the 4H program has archery events, and some of those kids shoot trad. Try reaching out there also.

Please forgive this outsider for being meddlesome, but I am saddened to hear that interest could be waning for a long standing event. Part of your publicity may also need to be directed toward greater involvement of your own membership, particularly in planning and set up. Good luck to you all. I hope to meet some of you in the future.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4692 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Sam, this is what I was thinking also. No your not intruding after all you are a tradgang member who is concerned. Yes the amount of advertisement was minimal I thought. I didn't see it in traditional bowhunter magazine. Other clubs don't know about it either.
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam, no intrusion at all. We did some advertising in various state archery club publications. Myself, I copied the shoot info that was on the page of our Traditional Trails Magazine, (I actually supplied this years pamphlet for the magazine) and every archery/sport shop I came by I stopped and asked to post a copy of it. Dicks in Muskegon and Grand Rapids allowed me to make the posting and Cabella's did not. I hit many smaller venues and was allowed to post the shoot info. And that would have been at my own expense. I also posted in archery clubs as did other board members so we did make an effort. Keep in mind it is very expensive to post in national publications like the Traditional Bow Hunter Magazine.

I also joined a National archery club, paid the $15.00 so I could post our club shoot in their publication (again at my expense)

I look at our club shoot as a low keyed and very family friendly. We have free camping on site and there are rivers and lakes for some freshing up just a few miles away. There is also a state park 5 miles away and you can take a shower for $2.00 there.

We had several activities taking place at this years shoot. We had the kids shoot, the long distant target shoot, a beautiful (the best in my opinion) 2 D course and a 3 D course with almost all new or like new targets that myself and the former club president drove around (at our expense) to purchase and bring back for the shoot.

We also had something new this year and that was a Saturday night coon shoot and from what I understand it was well attended. Targets made and paid for by me. No charge to the club. Now I only write for myself and I am doing this only because I am sick of kill shot and his bitching about this shoot continually for a month after the shoot. Kill shot you should follow your wife's advise as she sound like a smart lady.

Now we have several new board members as of the shoot on this years counsel, a new president, treasurer, secretary and counsel member. I ask that "kill shot" throw his hat into the ring, get involved and stop complaining about something you cannot control unless you are on that board.

My wife, the then president, the vice president and myself arrived on Thursday, worked all day Thursday, Friday and my wife and I worked a half a day on Saturday before we left for the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and never shot an arrow.

So I say please kill shot, listen to your bride.

Posts: 2894 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Jon. I'm not bitching. I only wish that the shoot would have had a bigger turnout. Every thing that was there was very nice. From what I have always heard about it. it was not what I expected that's all. Trying to come up with ways to have more people attend is hardly bitching. I gave you my phone number on a private message so we could talk a while and invite you over as we don't live too far from each other for a friendly visit. I know you read said private message. And yes my wife was right as anything less than positive might be interpreted this way. What more can I do?
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Oops my mistake. I didn't give my phone number on your private message. I posted it on this forum a while ago. But here it is (616)570-7212 Call me
kill shot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16036

Another oops. Posted the wrong ph# on the earlier post.
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon, it sounds a lot like you have already begun to do the right things to publicize the event. However, it will still take a couple of years to get to where you need to be, but congratulations on beginning the process.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4692 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©