JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » WASHINGTON - Traditional Bowhunters of Washington » Hi Everybody!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hi Everybody!
Abe Henderson
Member # 39561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abe Henderson   Email Abe Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in the way of introduction: My name is Abe Henderson and I recently moved with my wife and five kiddos to Ephrata, WA from Spokane. I have two boys, soon-to-be ten and soon-to-be eight, that are starting to get more interested in archery as well as a little three-year-old girl with blonde curls and blue eyes that would love a 'pink bow.'

For the last five years I've been guiding in Alaska spring and fall, mostly for coastal brown bears on Kodiak, AK Peninsula and SE AK. However, I've recently given up that crazy schedule for a real job that keeps dad close to home all year. We had twins last fall that have been an effective reality check!

Malachi, my oldest son, passed his hunter safety last summer and shot a turkey and a doe last fall during his first hunting season. He told me this year he wants to go bear hunting and waterfowl hunting as well. His younger brother is itching to join as well.

I've been interested in trad bowhunting since high school when I made my first selfbow. However, its been an on again, off again kind of thing as our family has grown. I shot my first game with a longbow a few years back when I killed a whitetail doe during the late season at twelve yards on the ground.

My biggest frustration is inconsistency in accuracy that has left me discouraged at times. I would love to find a good coach to help my boys and I start with good fundamentals that we can build on and make archery just plain fun.

The boys are getting new bows for their birthdays this year. I am looking for arrows for them to shoot if anybody has any laying around gathering dust. If they are anything like me when I was a kid they are gonna need a bunch once they start breaking/losing them. I am also interested in good, inexpensive target ideas, and/or used 3D targets.

Thanks all!

--------------------
Abe

Posts: 1 | From: Ephrata, WA | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie3
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie3   Email Charlie3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abe, I just moved to Spokane last year and started shooting my trad bow this summer for the first time since getting married and having a 2 year old.

Your best bet for equipment is going to one of the traditional 3-D shoots. There will be used stuff galore and vendors that are very helpful with setup. I went to the one in Medical Lake two months ago adn the one in Packwood last month and had a blast at both.

As far as someone to coach you, just hope there is someone close to you that shoots a longbow or recurve and is decent. I am looking for someone to shoot/hunt with here in Spokane, too bad you moved to Ephrata!

Posts: 181 | From: North Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cch
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cch   Email cch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give Joel Turner a call 253-686-3623 He is a great coach and can help some over the phone. He will also travel to do classes. He has a 6yr old son that is a great shot so he can help with choosing a kids bow.

Good luck with your search, hope to see you at one of the many trad shoots. Make sure to go to the Moses Lake shoot in April. You will meet great folks and have a good time.

Chris.

Posts: 614 | From: Three Forks Montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©