JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » WASHINGTON - Traditional Bowhunters of Washington » Eastern Grey Squirrel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eastern Grey Squirrel
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear Heart   Email Bear Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best locations for Eastern Grey Squirrel hunting? No urban parks please.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Posts: 2134 | From: Southwest Idaho | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Sharp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Sharp   Email Dale Sharp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great question. I've not seen them in the real hunting woods, only in fringe areas around human population centers. [Makes me wonder if they can't handle the predation/competition of wilder areas...?]

But some of those fringe areas will allow hunting. I'd suggest you look at public lands maps for a state-owned property that allows hunting (DNR for example) that is not too far from the urban parks that those squirrels seem to prefer. There you might find eastern greys in huntable numbers.

Good luck!

--------------------
"To me, how you take an animal and how you conduct the hunt, and what you gain from the experience is what bowhunting is all about."
-Jay Massey

Posts: 363 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkken
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkken   Email elkken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a yard full of them but have never had the heart to shoot one even though I have had the urge occasionally when they are eating all the seeds out of my bird feeders. [archer2]

--------------------
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4679 | From: washington state | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear Heart   Email Bear Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With three protected species and three huntable but geographically limited species it can be difficult. I really want to expand my bowhunting opportunities. Unclassified game, such as squirrels, hold that potential if I can figure it out.

--------------------
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Posts: 2134 | From: Southwest Idaho | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longbowz
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longbowz   Email Longbowz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot them around my house. They drive off the native squirrels. Right now there aren't many around so the native population is up.

I notice the owls also take quite a few of the greys compared to the native variety. I guess it's just another case of the urban types - regardless of species - should stay in the city. [Wink]

--------------------
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Posts: 396 | From: Washington (wetside) | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airdale
2017 Contributor
Member # 35513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Airdale   Email Airdale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just go out back in the woods behind the house. We have several abandoned farms with large stands of Oak trees, probably 400+ acres. Must be a population of around 1000 greys. The bad part is I live in up-state NY.
Posts: 245 | From: Camden, NY | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Saw some P&Y fox squirels in Michigan this week. Blew a stalk on a big'n

--------------------
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©