JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » WASHINGTON - Traditional Bowhunters of Washington » Spring Bear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spring Bear
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear Heart   Email Bear Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight is the deadline for spring bear applications.

My first year trying for it. Have never set out to hunt bear. Always had a tag in my pocket just in case. This year I am going to give it an honest try. I am sure there will be plenty of blunders on my part.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Posts: 2134 | From: Southwest Idaho | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkken
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkken   Email elkken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck to ya !

--------------------
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4679 | From: washington state | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear Heart   Email Bear Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got drawn for Copalis (Rayonier tree farm area in GMU642). Not my top choice but I really want to be out hunting. Have to buy a $100 permit.

Any insight on hunting this area? Spring bear hunting in general. I know zip about bear hunting.

--------------------
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Posts: 2134 | From: Southwest Idaho | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkken
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkken   Email elkken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would call the local game biologist and try to get some info on bear density for the area. Hunt the new spring grasses and clear cuts. They also like skunk cabbage and I would think there would be plenty of swamps around Copalis. You also might try and contact Jerry Krauth, he lived in that area and may be able to help you. Dale Sharp might have Jer's contact info.

--------------------

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4679 | From: washington state | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Thanks Ken. I am running down some leads.

--------------------
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Cascade Drifter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cascade Drifter   Author's Homepage   Email Cascade Drifter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should be a bumper year.Not sure what's happening on the "wet" side, but in one morning out hiking, I crossed several different sets of bear tracks on the Eastern slope.

--------------------
Hickman "Critter Gitter,Lee Thunderbolt.

Posts: 120 | From: Leavenworth Wa | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

My first time out will be the first weekend in may.

--------------------
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Headed out for the long weekend to look for bear. Will be bringing my thermacell this time! This area is really difficult to see very far. Had to climb on top of a slash pile to get elevation. The pile was full of bees. I will be bringing my benadryl and epipen along this weekend.

--------------------
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

elkken
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14892

ever see any bears on this hunt ??

--------------------

TGMM Family of the Bow

Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Saw everything but bears. Elk, deer, eagles, rabbits,...but no bear.

--------------------
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

elkken
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14892

well at least you saw some new country ...

--------------------

TGMM Family of the Bow

flinter
Contributor 2015
Member # 34400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flinter   Email flinter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear Heart, my girl friend and I had Copalis tags about six or seven tears ago. There were bears every where, we saw 27 total, both got nice ones. Two years later we were drawn again and only saw one bear. Our favorite spots were locked up. There is a lot of baiting pressure on the rez from the Quinaults and rumor has it that Rayonier pays hounds men to keep them thinned out. I have seen some real nice ones come from there, I hope you had some luck
Posts: 72 | From: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear Heart
Contributor 2015
Member # 14589

Had a good walk in the woods and found a square of state land for a solo campfire.

--------------------
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©