JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » ALBERTA - Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Assoc » 2015 Hunting season stories and pics (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 2015 Hunting season stories and pics
Sheepshooter
Member # 16372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheepshooter   Email Sheepshooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Here Yves and I are pictured with our Harold Dootson knives. When Yves won his at the HCJ this summer I told him that one of us would shoot an elk and together we would process it with our Harold Dootson knives. Yves told Harold what I had said and he laughed and replied " You do that! ". Well,my prediction came true. As many of you heard, Harold passed away last Saturday. I didn't know him well but he was a great guy and also one of the first trad guys I'd ever met. We took this photo to show Harold and I'm not sure if he got to see it or not. I'm hoping he did. That knife will be even more special to me now that Harold is gone. A lot of us trad guys are a sentimental bunch.

Posts: 530 | From: Stony Plain, Alberta | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheepshooter
Member # 16372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheepshooter   Email Sheepshooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 530 | From: Stony Plain, Alberta | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheepshooter
Member # 16372

-

Look at that smile!

Gun
Contributor 2015
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gun   Email Gun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Yves! Great bull.

--------------------
Proverbs 12:27

Posts: 989 | From: Alberta | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bloubow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bloubow   Email bloubow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone
Randy, thanks for doing this story. It is very accurate. All I have to say is that this hunt had been a lifelong dream for me.
It was my first serious hunt for elk and it could've been any better for me. It all came together beautifully. The last calling session was text book perfect. It was made possible because of Randy knowledge of the animal, his determination and calling skills. Ok I made the shot in a small window at a good 20 yards. But I guess all those stumps shooting and 3D shoots
Are good practices as I felt very confident taking it.
Please read the story in the quiver for the rest of it.
Again Randy Thanks for sharing and making me experience the hunt of a life time.....
PS: As far as I know Harold Never saw the pics of his great knifes about to make good on that prediction. I never got around to send him a hard copie of them as he had his final stroke on sept 22nd. Just a few days after we returned from the trip. Unless someone younger had a Chance to show them to him on a Facebook account.
RIP Harold! our knifes are treasures that will accompany use proudly on our quest for games.

Posts: 141 | From: St Albert, Alberta Canada | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bloubow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bloubow   Email bloubow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone
Randy, thanks for doing this story. It is very accurate. All I have to say is that this hunt had been a lifelong dream for me.
It was my first serious hunt for elk and it could've been any better for me. It all came together beautifully. The last calling session was text book perfect. It was made possible because of Randy knowledge of the animal, his determination and calling skills. Ok I made the shot in a small window at a good 20 yards. But I guess all those stumps shooting and 3D shoots
Are good practices as I felt very confident taking it.
Please read the story in the quiver for the rest of it.
Again Randy Thanks for sharing and making me experience the hunt of a life time.....
PS: As far as I know Harold Never saw the pics of his great knifes about to make good on that prediction. I never got around to send him a hard copie of them as he had his final stroke on sept 22nd. Just a few days after we returned from the trip. Unless someone younger had a Chance to show them to him on a Facebook account.
RIP Harold! our knifes are treasures that will accompany use proudly on our quest for games.

Posts: 141 | From: St Albert, Alberta Canada | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trubltrubl
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trubltrubl   Email trubltrubl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Yves........great job. Connecting when it counts is not easy. Sounds like a hunt of a lifetime. I am sure Harold is smiling by the campfire.
Posts: 648 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bert Frelink
Contributor 2013
Member # 8123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bert Frelink   Email Bert Frelink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yves /Randy,
Fantastic story and result, congratulations!!!
That is fantastic especially for your first one [scared]
Have a great rest of the season , we'll have to get after the Whitetails now.
Good luck to all.
Bert

Posts: 859 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
outdoorsforlife
Member # 23720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outdoorsforlife   Email outdoorsforlife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Yves,
That is quite a smile you have, and one hell of an Elk! Congradulations on all your work coming together.
A dream, a ton of effort and sweat and blisters and a smile like that. What a lesson. That is awesome.

Randy great job with the calling. This it it… I'm packing the truck and leaving to go in the next hour.

I have to say … this is a pretty cool comunity of people.

RIP Harold. I didn't know him that well, but he was a gentleman to me.

Good luck everyone!
Gordon

Posts: 78 | From: Calgary Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheepshooter
Member # 16372

Some pics of the beautiful trappers cabin we found.

-

-

-

-

Sheepshooter
Member # 16372

.....And one more of Yves and his elk.

-

outdoorsforlife
Member # 23720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outdoorsforlife   Email outdoorsforlife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got out last night for the last few hours for a sit. I positioned the stand in a deep gully with a creek.

What an awesome sunset. Nothing wandered by, but there was plenty of snorts from deer as I walked back to the truck in the dark.

I used screw in tree steps this time and found I had to strip off my undershirt because it was soaked before sitting in the stand. Does anyone have suggestions on wool buttoned shirts for managing layers?

I took Brads suggestion and got awesome wool pants from Value Village as well as Tracey's suggestion for using the prussic knot to always be tied up while going up, into, out of or down the tree. I use a climbing harness which allows me to sit hands free while twisting steps.

Hey Tracey, do you want to come with me for an evening sit? You could hold a camera if something comes by. This would give me someone to debate with about what looks like a good funnel.

Looking forward to more stories. Keep em coming guys.

Gord

Posts: 78 | From: Calgary Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trubltrubl
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trubltrubl   Email trubltrubl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gord last year Costco had wool under shirts for 20 bucks . In the winter months...they were made in Canada too...hope they have them this year I bought two and they work great.... A pendelton shirt is great but they are pricey....I got a few from Cabelas when they sold them....you can buy them on **** used for not a bad price....wool is the answer for keeping you dry after you sweat....Don't go too high with the stand..I stay low and use leafy camo or ASAT camo...taken whitetails at a treestand height of only 12 feet on a few occasions...the trick is to stay totally still at those low heights....and your shot angle is better too !!!!
Posts: 648 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheepshooter
Member # 16372

I've only ever seen women's wool under shirts at the Costco I shop at. I check all the time too. My wife has about four of them. I'll have to keep checking.
trubltrubl
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9763

Randy it can be frustrating at Costco ...I got mine in two different stores in Calgary ...then when I tried them and liked them I went back to buy more...still in cold weather season and they were gone....hope they come back this year...
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©