Please note that Trad Gang forum registrations have been suspended between
Sunday, March 18th, and Monday, March 26th,
during our conversion/migration move to a new server and new forum software.
We apologize for this inconvenience - please do come back, y'all!

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » ALBERTA - Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Assoc » Lost in Parkland

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lost in Parkland
Member # 42917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteelyDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on my third traditional bow hunt in Camp Wainwright in November. Thought I knew the country and layout of the land pretty well. I parked the car on one of the main roads and hiked south.

There was snow on the ground and it was about -8 degrees C, low overcast and calm. I hiked for about an hour; all the time the cloud cover lowered until it was almost a fog. The sun vanished. I was amazed at the stillness and sameness of the landscape. Patch after patch of aspen grove.

After a time, I came upon a set of tracks in the snow. To my horror, I realized that they were my own, laid down in the snow. I was totally disoriented. Who would believe that a person could get lost like that on the prairies.

Quickly, I took out my compass and headed, with due haste, in a direction straight north where I knew where the car was parked.

First time being lost...and I would never forget it. Never saw a deer that day either.

Posts: 42 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calgarychef   Email calgarychef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting lost is something everyone should do. I got turned around one day While hiking out, I eventually Saw a truck and though I'd better go and ask these complete strangers to point me in the right direction. So I swallowed my pride but gladly walked to that truck, eventually I realised that it was truck.
Posts: 1254 | From: canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for damascusdave   Email damascusdave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost is when you cannot find your were only disoriented

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Posts: 3554 | From: Mirror, Alberta, Canada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Contributor 2017
Member # 1363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil   Author's Homepage   Email Gil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was disoriented at Matthews Crossing Natural Area last Monday. LEft the truck at RR 72 walked following game trails, ended up at TWP540 and RR70. Backtracked for 1 1/2 hours and found the site where Randy and I rested and waited for Jason on our last outing. FOund the truck at 7:30 pm.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

Posts: 904 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad ©