JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » ALBERTA - Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Assoc » Texas Turkey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Texas Turkey
SteelyDan
Member # 42917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteelyDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now for something completely different...for me. A Spring bowhunting trip to Texas hill country, for Rio Grande turkey. I have four days set aside the first of April with Mike Yancey of Pine Hollow Longbows at a place called Martindale Ranch.

We hunt out of a portable blind in the mornings for the turkey. In the afternoon there is spot and stalk for feral hogs. It should be fun. Mike said there is a lot of cactus in that country so that is something I am going to have to be aware of. Hopefully no snakes out that time of year.

Anyone done a hunt like this and can give some advice? I thought I would take a takedown bow (easier to travel with) with two sets of limbs, one set 35# and one set 45#. Hopefully that covers off all the bases.

I am looking forward to this trip.
SD

Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trubltrubl
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trubltrubl   Email trubltrubl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
practice shooting out of a blind if you have not before..bring black belaclava and black gloves and black top for the blind...if you have not hunted turkeys there are youtube videos of where to aim and some on tradgang. Use a three bladed broadhead . get a good night sleep before you hunt as you will be getting up earlier than most hunting as you want to be in your blind in the pitch dark before fly down..learn the calls if you are doing some calling and lastly have fun...I draw a life size turkey on a target and practice alot before I go
Posts: 628 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteelyDan
Member # 42917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteelyDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice Trubl. Mike told me to practice from a sitting position. He said he likes to shoot them coming(from the front) or going (looking away). He said quite often hunters shoot them too far forward and the arrows can miss the vitals. I have a small blind that I will practice out of. Just got some 3 blade broadheads (Woodsman) that I will be using for both the turkeys and the hogs..

I had a chance to look at some of the old posts on this forum about your turkey hunts. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I expect I may succumb to "turkey panic" myself.

Any more advice from turkey hunters will be gladly accepted.
SD

Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteelyDan
Member # 42917

Well, two weeks today I will be in turkey country. San Antonio has been hot, maybe too hot. I hope it cools down a little.

I had Joey Ryan in Blue Ridge make me up a new 3 piece takedown bow for travelling. It is a beauty; pulls 45# and should be good for both turkeys and hogs.

I will write up an account when I get back. Here is hoping I can hit something.
SD

Bowshot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowshot   Email Bowshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If its hot, grab a black Buff from a Running Room before you go. Lightweight and dry fast, use it as a pull up face mask when the turkeys are coming in, covering your nose and ears. Pull it down off your face when they arent around. Way cooler than a balaclava and easy to breathe through. Stay in the back of the blind and try not to flash the birds with your hands, coffee cups, face etc. Spray your stuff with permethrin at least a day before you wear it for tick protection. Have fun.
Posts: 489 | From: Central Alberta | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©