Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Legends and Pioneers » Dan Quillian » Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwin   Email Arwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rest easy in the Big Sky brother! [pray]

--------------------
Just one more step.....please!

Michigan Longbow Association

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Posts: 4272 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shell
Assoc. Sponsor
Member # 2002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shell   Author's Homepage   Email Shell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.danquillian.com/

Godspeed...

Posts: 704 | From: Milwaukee WI | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met Dan a couple of times, the one that I remember most was at the Howard Hill shoot in Alabama where we had a "discussion" about how deep in your fingers you should hold the string when drawing. You are right in that he was set in his ways, stubborn even. Could even be crude at times, but you knew where he stood. Most guys that walk their own path have that same demeanor.
Bet that big campfire above is a little livelier tonight with Dan sitting in the circle.

Godspeed Mr Quillian, and keep a "DEEP" hook.

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike g
SPONSOR
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g   Author's Homepage   Email mike g   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never know what to say at times like this....

--------------------
"Mike your friend In Traditional archery" (M.A.L.)
www.mikesarcheryleather.com
Leather Armguards,Quivers,and Accessories, Mike's Archery Leather
"Rinehart 3D Target Dealer"
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4402 | From: Stockton California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nakohe
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nakohe   Email Nakohe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers go out to his family and friends. I know he will be missed. Never met him, but heard a lot about him and all of it was good. He is in a better place for sure.

--------------------
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Posts: 2646 | From: Pottsboro, Texas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joebuck
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joebuck   Email joebuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ferret, you bring back some fond memories for me. Dan gave me the most important archery lesson ever. "If your arrow is not pointing towards the bullseye, it want hit it"

--------------------
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Posts: 2114 | From: Oxford Ms 38655 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wmcclendon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wmcclendon   Email wmcclendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never met Dan, but I've been around DD a good bit. I'm pretty sure that acorn didn't fall from the tree and Dan must have been one heck of a guy. I know he'll be missed. My prayers will be with the family and friends he's left behind for streets of gold.
Posts: 169 | From: georgia | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biggie Hoffman
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggie Hoffman   Email Biggie Hoffman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most folks have no idea what Dan has done for bowhunting. We were at a 4-H meeting where Wayne Pacell (PETA) was speaking. Dan stood and asked him what his salary was. He ignored him. He stayed standing and kept asking until security made him leave. His examples where easy to follow cause he was right.
they thru me out about 10 minutes later :-)
He also convinced me to switch from a recurve to a longbow after watching me shoot. That was 1990 or so. Bye Dan.

--------------------
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Posts: 4453 | From: Gray, Ga. 31032 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dean Torges
Charter Member
Member # 757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dean Torges   Author's Homepage   Email Dean Torges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd written to inquire after his health last week. He had my complete and absolute respect.

Here's to you, Dan. Well done.

--------------------
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens." --Gepetto

Posts: 373 | From: Ostrander, OH | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joebuck
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joebuck   Email joebuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggie and I just hung up telling ole Dan stories. One of my favorite Dan stories was in the early 90's at the Atlanta Buckerama ( Redneckarama) ole Dan had a booth with his full mounted bear in it, basically showing everyone what a longbow could take down. He was a hit. After the show ...get this now... he strapped that huge bear on the back of his Winnebago using hitch haul for the base. Off he went on I-285 in Atlanta on a Sunday afternoon deep in Atlanta church traffic. My buddy Trigger and me were following him to make sure he didn't have any trouble. People were either driving up yelling at him or waving at him. We laughed so hard we almost wet our pants. i asked him later did the granola crunchers get on his nerves that day yelling at him. he said " Nope, he knew his power sterring was a little loose and he was swerving some." !!!!!! I loved it..

--------------------
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Posts: 2114 | From: Oxford Ms 38655 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nakohe
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nakohe   Email Nakohe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Here is a pic of him and the bear.

--------------------
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Posts: 2646 | From: Pottsboro, Texas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bentpole
Contributor 2014
Member # 6180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentpole   Email bentpole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May He RIP
Posts: 7480 | From: pequannock n.j. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Van/TX
Charter Member
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Van/TX   Email Van/TX   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame. He had a great influence on a lot of archers...Van

--------------------
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Posts: 5696 | From: Live Oak, Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend and hunting partner of Dan taught me to shoot the longbow at age 8. Got to hear a few stories.......he will be missed.

Prayers go out to all of Dan's friends and family.

--------------------
Woolshire Carpet Mills, Inc.

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 29586 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heydeerman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heydeerman         Edit/Delete Post 
My first longbow was a Bamboo longhunter. I had several conversations with Dan while I had that bow. I bought it used but he said I coould call anytime....and I did a few times. BTW....I shoot with a deep hook.
Posts: 3461 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©