JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Legends and Pioneers » Dan Quillian » Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Dan "the Man" Quillian has left us
Shovelbuck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shovelbuck   Email Shovelbuck       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear of his passing.
I purchased one of his U-Finish bows last year. Talked with him on the phone concerning brace height and what finish he recommended. That longbow was the first one I owned that was in a hunting weight.
I felt that today would be a good day to take that bow out and do some stump shooting, then launch one in memory of Dan.
God speed Dan. You'll be missed by many.

-

--------------------
No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Posts: 228 | From: Nebraska | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCNSC
Contributor 2017
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCNSC   Author's Homepage   Email MCNSC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met Dan a couple of times, bought one of his Canebreak recurves from Archery Traditions when I first started in traditional archery.
I would say a person lived a good full life when they have touched this many people.
Prayers said for the family.
Mike

--------------------
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Posts: 1731 | From: SC | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joel smith
SPONSOR
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joel smith   Author's Homepage   Email joel smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan had a real nice funeral Saturday, buried in Oconee Hill cemetary (right over behind Sanford Stadium) on a hill with a great view, bout the highest spot around. He probably picked that spot himself---right under an oak that drops a lot of acorns, still a bunch on the ground....happy hunting Dan.

--------------------
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Posts: 3135 | From: zebulon, georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billy on the road
Member # 10257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billy on the road   Email billy on the road   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called Dan when I was looking for a kit bow for my son. We talked probably 20 minutes that day and his recommendation was to buy a kit from another bowyer.
He was friendly,helpful and all anyone could ask of an Ambassador.
Dan is one reason that my two boys are shooting with me.
I didn't know who he was the day I called him, I didn't know for a year or so after that either. But, I do know something about the man I spoke with that day, and the world is a dimmer place for his passing.
Rest Well, Mr. Quillian. Best to the Family.

Posts: 33 | From: U.S. (Kokomo,IN) | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Logsdon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Logsdon   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Logsdon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once Dan was asked about the speed of his longbow - compared to a compound. "I can get an arrow into a deer faster than a compound guy, so I guess mine's faster" he quipped HA! Dan had a way to cut straight to the point.

I use to talk quite a bit with Dan when he did the Bowhunting Trade Shows in Louisville many years ago. "Get a good grip on it" was what Dan once told me about my hand position on the string. Been doing that ever since Dan!

--------------------
Gary Logsdon

Posts: 1651 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greyfox54
2017 Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greyfox54   Email Greyfox54   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condolences to his Family , I am the proud owner of several of his bows and and happy to have had a few short phone conversations with him . Fred

--------------------
Greyfox54

Posts: 1539 | From: Central Jersey | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ol Man
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ol Man   Author's Homepage   Email Ol Man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shot with him years ago - the man was a gentleman in my books. He took time to help and teach others even when he was strapped for time. dan you still are one of the great ones in my book. Will see you sooner than I want! Good bye and happy hunting in our archers' paradise in the sky...my friend.

--------------------
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Posts: 554 | From: Magnolia, TX | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozi Jeffro
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ozi Jeffro   Email Ozi Jeffro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of his patriot bows,its been a goodun.
I was gonna sell it.Might hold off on that that now.
I have a question...would it have been made by him personally
here it is  -
RIP Dan

[ March 08, 2007, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Ozi Jeffro ]

Posts: 85 | From: sydney | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAG
Contributor 2014
Member # 3882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAG   Email JAG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear of his passing. He will be sorely missed. Down to earth, and would take time out to talk with a new trad hunter! Thanks, Mr. Dan!!!

--------------------
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Posts: 2339 | From: Elberta, Alabama | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BEAR CLAW
Member # 9442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BEAR CLAW   Email BEAR CLAW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like so many of us I started out bowhunting as a kid with traditional gear (Bear Grizzly) and was mistakenly lured to and swithed to the compound bow. After several years of hunting with the compound I picked up one of his longbows but just couldn't seem to get back a trditional shooting form. After finding out that Dan had his telephone number posted on **** and was offering his assistance to anyone that wished to call him, I gave him a call one night. That telephone call turned out to be just the first of several calls to him for help and advice. The man was a complete gentleman who just couldn't help me enough. Today because of his willingness to assist me I have returned to hunting only with traditional gear and I am shooting better than ever before. As I have told you many times before, "THANK YOU DAN", you will forever be missed!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 15 | From: NEW JERSEY/CUMBERLAND CO. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for royking   Email royking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my first longbow was also a longhunter it was a great bow to transition from a recurve.DAN had a very easy video to watch and learn from a life well lived
Posts: 128 | From: sergeant bluff iowa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickandstring
2017 Contributor
Member # 4962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickandstring   Email stickandstring   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He convinced me that a 68" longbow was what I needed and I have never looked back.
Posts: 977 | From: northern virginia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
donb
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donb   Author's Homepage   Email donb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been looking on this site for a while, so I was shocked and saddened by the news of Dan's passing. Dan was a big influence on me in the late 80's when I first started in traditional archery. I bought one of the first Patriot recurves made and began shooting local tournaments. I have a closet full of trophies from tournaments where I shot that bow. Later, I ended up with about 14 bows of various kinds and would always go back to the Patriot when the chips were down. I was using that bow when I killed a Caribou on the hunt where I met my wife, so the bow has special sentimental value to me. My wife even has a soft spot for the bow! Several years ago I traded for a Longhunter and enjoy shooting it also. I'll never forget the excitement I enjoyed being in his shop and shooting his bows. My brother bought the canebrake that he brought to show everyone at the first Traditional Bowhunters of GA rendezvous in Sylvania, GA. One of my first dealings with Dan was when I spotted a couple of Archery Traditions bows hanging in a Pawn shop in Palmetto,GA. I knew the value of the bows, but I hoped the shop owner didn't. I got both bows for $150. A 65# Traveln Hunter, and a Howard Hill style bamboo longbow,57#. I couldn't pull the heavy bow, and I couldn't shoot the longbow well, so I called Dan to see about trading. The Pawn shop owner had told me that the owner of the bows had to hock them cuz he had a drug problem. Mrs Quillian informed me that the fella had paid for the bows with a forged check off his father's account! So I had two hot bows! Dan graciously allowed me to keep one of the bows. I kept the longbow, but eventually traded it since I never learned to shoot it. I have many more stories, but I'll save them for another campfire. I'm real happy Dan was honored a few years ago by TBG for his lifetime of achievement. I had tears when he was given a standing ovation. He deserved it. My heart goes out to the family during this difficult time.

--------------------
"Lead on!"

Posts: 127 | From: sharpsburg,ga | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazymoose
Member # 5178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazymoose   Email crazymoose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another " Great one has left us ". May you watch over us and guide our arrows true.
My prayers go out to the family.
God Bless.

--------------------

Hoyt Dorado,
Nuge Strings Pro Staff

Posts: 28 | From: oshawa, ontario | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
devildog66
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devildog66   Email devildog66   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am saddened to hear of his passing. I bought a tab form him recently and it does accommodate the DEEP HOOK. He was a straight shooter in all respects and his kind is getting rarer in this world.

I further saddened by the fact that he had to go through so much from diabetes. Peripheral Artery Disease or PAD is insidious and painful as it advances; this is what caused the lower limb circulation problems that Dan experienced. Get a screening test for this if you are diabetic or have other risk factors like advanced age or smoking. The test is called an Ankle Brachial Index or ABI and is like have a fancy blood pressure test done - easy and cheap. If anyone has questions about this they can check out several websites or send me a PM and I'll answer as much as I can.

May DQ rest in peace.

DD66

--------------------
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Posts: 730 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©