Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » calling in black bears (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: calling in black bears
shootssmallbulls
Member # 15530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shootssmallbulls   Email shootssmallbulls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I normally just spot and stalk.
Posts: 33 | From: Anchorage,Alaska | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Krebs
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Krebs   Email Brian Krebs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen sows abandon their cubs without a sound or a 'get up the tree and wait for me' sound; and come into a call.
I would not call bears in the spring.

--------------------
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Posts: 2556 | From: North Fork , Idaho | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrchambers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrchambers   Email jrchambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well normaly you wouldnt call at a sow, i dont call unless i have already decided to try at the bear and have closed a good deal of distance and need 20 or 30 more yards
Posts: 1158 | From: kenai alaska | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swp   Email swp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out Woods Wise they sell a bear call I think.

--------------------
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Posts: 2115 | From: Ozark, Missouri | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stmpthmpr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stmpthmpr   Email stmpthmpr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a buck grunt call that I modified to a lower gutteral call. Works great on big boars as they dont take kindly to being growled at in their territory.

I havent had any luck at all using predator calls (Bunnys). I have called in a few Brown bears on Kodiak with a fawn in distress meant to bring in Blacktail does. The does come running full tilt, the bears are a bit more sneaky about it. Take a change of shorts fer sure!!!

I called in a Blackie on the Kenai Penninsula some years back with the growl call and when he rounded the tree and saw me, he came to get me. I drilled him through the chest and he ran past me at about 5 feet and piled up after forty yards. Had to check my shorts for sign!!!

Posts: 127 | From: Alaska | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-dog
2017 Contributor
Member # 6871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J-dog   Email J-dog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish we could spot and stalk here but you cant see more the 25 yeards in the woods!

I have called bears using fawn bleats, learned another sound you can do with your mouth that may not be an attracting call but if they are close then they will stay curious and interested. Used it when I was spotted but they couldn't tell what I was, calmed them a bit. I remeber bears in Pungo making the noise when they were in clase proximity of each other, as it was bow season (and bear sanctuary even if it was a season in! I was just listening to them talk.

Gonna try a rabbit distress call this year. Always up for somehting new. Wanna kill a big one with my bow. One of the down east monsters.

J

--------------------
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Posts: 2049 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Morin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Morin   Email Randy Morin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called in my first ever Trad killed black bear with a Rabbit screamer 3 years ago. Last week, after killing my bear spot and stalk the week before I hiked in to a area to scout for next year and saw 3 bears. I called to one (a nice boar) from 150 yards out and he almost ignored the loud screaming. I tried two different times over 5-10 minutes and he could have cared less it seemed. He was however very happy grazing on the lush/wet grass he was standing in so that may have had something to do with it. So...try calling after you spot one if a stalk isnt in the cards for some reason.
Posts: 1770 | From: montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doctari
Contributor 2012
Member # 8709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doctari   Email doctari   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be trying this soon, September 20th I leave for Montana for a bear hunt. I plan on hunting near clear cuts with a good view in front and behind me too. I have Wayne Carltons call and CD, The shrills that come out of this call are pretty scary. I just hope I dont get the crap scared out of me.LOL [scared]

--------------------
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men." Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Posts: 371 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimB
Contributor 2017
Member # 17284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimB   Email JimB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woodwise Calls has at least 2 different bear calls and a real good video on calling them.If I were you,I would at least get the video.

Most people say you should call for a full hour at each location and bears keep coming when you call and stop when you do.

It is not uncommon here,for bears to come into cow calls when elk hunting.

The Fall is prime time to call as bears are seeking anything to eat that they can find-24/7.Keep your eyes open.

I haven't done a lot of calling but often thought one of those fawn decoys would be great to divert the bear's attention from your location.

Don't forget,lions may sneak in too.Keep your eyes open.

If you hunt in areas with grizzlies,it's not a good idea.

Posts: 3831 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uncle Buck   Email Uncle Buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a hunting show on TV where a Kodiak AK guide called in a brown bear with a dying rabbit call, the bear came in a gallop and gave a clear shot (rifle) at 15 yards, definitely got ther adrenanlin going.
Posts: 582 | From: Canton Georgia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer to use a deer distress sound in my area. I startout calling with low volume and then ratchet it up and then move back to low volume. You want to call steadily with only 30 second lulls. Bears tend to loose interest if you wait for long spells between calling. If you see the bear first calling is easy to gauge by their response. If you know they are around the area. Set in and call for at least an hour at each stand. Make sure to keep your eyes open. Bears are very quiet and Cougars come in a lot and are never seen. Look under brush and trees and try to spot ears and eyes. The cats tend to slink in real slow and hide under or behind something to see what is hollering. Bears can take up to an hour to show up due to a cautious approach. Calling is very effective and should put you on some bears if you call in the right areas. I second the no calling in grizzly country. Good way to get stomped!

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bearsfeet
Contributor 2017
Member # 22001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bearsfeet   Author's Homepage   Email bearsfeet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to try calling as well for the first time this year. That is if spot and stalk fails me. I will be on the other side of the mountain from you here in oregon.

Best of luck to ya this spring!

--------------------
Levi Bedortha

Posts: 605 | From: Coburg, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
owlbait
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for owlbait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years back I had a Black Bear come into my elk calls. Real close. I'd be more worried about the cougars coming in though. Tink's makes a Smokin'Deer Scent and I believe a Bear scent that works like an incense stick. Very oily smoke that sticks and lingers. Maybe check that out? Good luck.

--------------------
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Posts: 6321 | From: Hesperia, Mi | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your in an area with deer use deer / fawn in distress or weak bleats. If your in an area with elk use an elk distress sound. Bears will run down a calf elk before a fawn. I have done this quite a bit and it works great. Some bears will respond and some won't. It is best to spot the bear and determine it is alone first. You can call them in blind.

Unlike Coyotes, bears often come in slowly and stop moving when you stop calling. I tend to use short calling sequences and keep them steady and paced close together. I start out calling at mid level and if a bear is near it will often run in fast. If I get no response in 5 minutes, I crank up the volume and really let it blast for 5 minutes. I then slowly taper the sound off over the next 15 to 20 minutes.

I normally call for a minimum of 30 minutes on each set. Don't get totally focused on the bear you can see. Others can come in from a different direction. Also look out for coyotes and bobcats that come to the call. Deer and Elk also respond at times.

Calling is a great addition to your hunting repertoir and can make for some exciting hunting. If the bear your calling to is busy eating, put a stalk on and make your kill that way.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surveyor527
Member # 16573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surveyor527   Email Surveyor527   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your state says no baiting, it will also mean no scents/smokers etc. Get a copy of Wayne Carlton's "Callin' Bears" and you will get a good idea of how it works...plus a too-close look at a big kitty.

good luck!

--------------------
Forget about the danger...think of the fun!

Posts: 6 | From: Salisbury, MD | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©