Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » calling in black bears (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: calling in black bears
JimB
Contributor 2017
Member # 17284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimB   Email JimB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily.Some states allow scents.
Posts: 3831 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Hawk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Hawk   Email The Hawk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Called a couple in in AZ with the Wayne Carlton Bear call. Don't know if they still make 'em? It is a squaller, a loud fawn bleat. It came with a video that was helpful. I never had any luck blind calling but, if you can spot them, they will usually (or sometimes) come over to check it out. They come hungry and planning on a free meal so, it's a good idea to have a buddy calling and you can watch each others backs.
Posts: 195 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surveyor527
Member # 16573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surveyor527   Email Surveyor527   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimB:
Not necessarily.Some states allow scents.

Which states allow scents but not baits? I never heard of such a thing.
Thanks for your time!

--------------------
Forget about the danger...think of the fun!

Posts: 6 | From: Salisbury, MD | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmh
Member # 19276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmh   Email jmh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking at calling in bears this fall in Montana. Sounds like a good alternative since I can't seem to draw an elk tag.

--------------------
jmh

Posts: 21 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rackman
Member # 23740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rackman   Email Rackman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall an older Video it was called Calling in Bears by Wayne Carlton. He uses various calling techniques in his video. Hope this helps. I myself have hunted bear but strictly over bait, it is legal here in Ontario. And burning honey or molasses would be considered baiting.

--------------------
Black Widow PSAV 55@28

Posts: 90 | From: Ontario , Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never tried it...but will this year for sure....just for kicks.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30612 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Machias
Member # 19990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Machias   Email Machias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have called in 14 bears so far. I like a raspy sounding call better than a higher pitch call. I like to cold call, since it's pretty thick up here in NE WA. I call pretty much non-stop for an hour and I set a watch out in front of me, because calling for an hour is a looong time and without the watch it is hard to judge how long I have been on stand.

--------------------
Fred Moyer

History does not entrust the care of Freedom to the Weak or the Timid.

Posts: 75 | From: Stafford, VA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twostrings
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twostrings   Email twostrings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thought of calling in a bear is pretty exciting and a little spooky!
Posts: 256 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ermont
2017 Contributor
Member # 25655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ermont   Email ermont   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might suggest an electronic caller if they are legal in your state. Especially if you are hunting alone. Put the speaker 15-20 yards in front of you with an old rabbit fur to draw their attention. Then run the call for at least a half hour.
Posts: 1725 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arrowsmack324
Member # 19711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrowsmack324   Email arrowsmack324   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a whole lot of fun.
Posts: 9 | From: Kingwood, TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mochasam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mochasam   Email mochasam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They consider that baiting
Posts: 288 | From: Vermont | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mochasam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mochasam   Email mochasam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They consider that baiting with sceants
Posts: 288 | From: Vermont | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check the rags on the use of scents.. I've called in three bears with a simple squeeling rabbit call. All three came running. (one to with in 5 yards!) Have fun.

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4101 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnnyWayne
Contributor 2014
Member # 29314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnnyWayne   Email JohnnyWayne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I read a "bear warning" poster in Montana that advised people to wear little jingling bells to alert bears to your presence and to carry a can of pepper spray. It then also said, and I quote: "It is important to learn to identify black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces will contain berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear sh*t contains lots of little jingling bells and smells like pepper spray."
Found on the net [Smile]

--------------------
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 1239 | From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
Contributor 2017
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think I will add calling to my bear hunting trips this year sounds as if it works pretty well.

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2468 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©