Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Feral Cattle (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Feral Cattle
GrayRhino
Contributor 2017
Member # 9645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrayRhino   Email GrayRhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben, looks like he has you pegged. I would have never guessed that Australia had such a feral population. You are a privileged bowhunter!

--------------------
God now commandeth all men everywhere to repent. Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good, some are just real good!" Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along." Glenn St. Charles

Posts: 1137 | From: Interior Alaska | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, he's got me pegged alright! But, from a counting-coup point of view, I'd been there for about five minutes, about twenty metres away, before he was aware of me.

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick McGowan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick McGowan   Email Rick McGowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben, you have to actually TOUCH them to count coup!
Posts: 1390 | From: GEORGIA, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read about a tribe in Africa who would play a game whereby they had to put their painted handprint on a rhino's posterior! Thanks for the pointer though, Rick! Any scrubbers running about out there with your painted handprint on their rump? When are you coming over next?

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick McGowan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick McGowan   Email Rick McGowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben, if they got my handprints on them, they are already tanned and hanging on someones wall! I'd like to come over this year, but I don't know at the moment, Monty Browning and I are doing a seminar on buff and other "exotic" location hunting this week at the PBS convention. I am hoping that it fires up some interest. I'm probably changing jobs as well, so I have to see how that works out. Cheap fares now to OZ though! I would like to get after those camels and such!
Posts: 1390 | From: GEORGIA, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spotted Quoll
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spotted Quoll   Email Spotted Quoll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also have a breed of Indonesian cattle called Banteng that were introduced up in the Top End of Australia. They are small but I understand very hard to stalk and also capable of getting the better of you if you are not on top of your game.

where I live on the edge of the Little Sandy Desert nearly all the cattle are wild... It's always fun at mustering time the 4wd parts dealers do a good trade.

Plenty of Camel around at the moment.

Posts: 133 | From: Little Sandy Desert, Western Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick McGowan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 407

A mature bull banteng is a very cool looking animal, expensive to hunt though and I was told extremely difficult for bowhunters. They live in a jungly area and have no curiousity, so if you snap a twig, they are gone.
Michael Baker
Member # 6311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Baker   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the pleasure of guiding quite a few guys onto big Scrub Bulls in Cape York Australia. It is debatable but the true Scrub Bull are a derivative of the Shorthorn Breed. These cattle don't have huge horns but are extremely large up to a good 800kg in the real big guys. Average size around 500-600kg.

The horn size really starts getting bigger when they mix with Brahmans and the like.

Colors are endless but majority of the Red/Tan colours.

Here is a bit of footage taken a long time ago and it is NOT the recommended way of getting one. But good for a laugh at my expense.

The Bull was taken with a 60lb Samick Recurve some years ago.

-

-

As you can see not the best place to be but a happy ending.

Mick

--------------------
www.trophybowhunts.net

Posts: 72 | From: Townsville Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lechwe
Contributor 2017
Member # 4214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lechwe   Email Lechwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mick that is cool but the second clip freezes up.

There had to be a lot of "pucker" that day.

Posts: 567 | From: Holt, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LEOPARD
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LEOPARD   Author's Homepage   Email LEOPARD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Mick, I bet that got the heart rate up a bit hey!?!? lol... Thanks for sharing! [Wink] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Posts: 1522 | From: Zimbo in UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul R
Member # 8510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul R   Email Paul R   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing that always cracks me up Mick, I love it. [biglaugh]
Posts: 38 | From: Brisbane Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick McGowan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 407

Scrub cattle actually have a very good flavor to the meat, "free range beef", but most of them are so tuff, even the burger(mince) is tough!
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its a winner!

Those clips don't show just how Awesome that bit footage really is!

i wont forget sitting there watching that with my jaw on the ground and Mick just sitting back laughing.

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to get to Oz one of these days.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1564 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brett Finger
Member # 16719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brett Finger   Email Brett Finger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benha:
I would love to hunt scrub bulls in Australia. Has anyone here gone there just for that reason?

G'Day,
I have a good number of Scrubbers here where i am on the east coast of OZ. ( on the Great Barrier Reef [Razz] )

if you come over here any time,i'm only to happy to take you out and get you onto a few.

i also got a very healthy population of feral pigs to play with as well..

Kind Regards, Brett [Wink]

--------------------
So long as the New Moon returnes in Heaven, a bent, beautiful Bow, so will the fascination of Archery keep hold of the Hearts of Men.

Posts: 9 | From: Queensland - Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©