Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Suggestions for Cape buffalo Arrow? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Suggestions for Cape buffalo Arrow?
rnharris
2017 Contributor
Member # 12670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rnharris   Email rnharris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just curious would a fiberglass fish arrow footed full length with a larger diameter aluminum sfaft work?? this is interesting thanks Ralph

this may be weak in spine??

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4944 | From: gnat capital of the south GA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can't beat Rick's advice on this everything he has written is bang on!

as for "overkill" in my opinion that does not exist when it comes to hunting Buff!

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again guys.This is thread is gonna be a great reference for me when I begin testing and tuning.Hopefully someone else got some input as well for selecting an arrow setup for dangerous game.
Posts: 4819 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rnharris
2017 Contributor
Member # 12670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rnharris   Email rnharris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still curious about the fish arrow anyone???

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4944 | From: gnat capital of the south GA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know have read of someone using a fiberglass fish arrow in the past Ralph to get a heavy arrow for buffalo.I dont know if they footed it or inserted another arrow shaft inside to bring the spine up?I think another shaft was inserted into the arrow though best I can recollect.
Posts: 4819 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcar315
Contributor 2017
Member # 19642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcar315   Email jcar315   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I usually just lurk on the sidelines and dream of actually having to think about these dangerour game issues. I just happened to look in the "Traditional Bowhunitng Videos Paul Schafer & Co" section and there is video of Paul shooting arrows into a Cape Buffalo and he mentions he is shooting a 2117 with a 1916 inside of it. Just wanted to pass it along for what ever it is worth. Good Luck to all!!!

--------------------
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant. Made the switch to LH shooting and it was THE best thing I ever did.....YMMV

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 5212 | From: Boonsboro Maryland | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Thanks John!
Tilzbow
Contributor 2008
Member # 5147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tilzbow   Email Tilzbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steelhead,

I was in an email conversation with Markus at German Kinetics discussing my personal frustration with trying to find a shaft that's stiff enough for my long draw to load up with more than 150 grains on the front end....

Anyway through that conversation he recommended Carbon Tech Safari shafts which are .200 spine and 15.5 grains/inch. These might just do the trick for a dangerous game shaft for guys would don't have a 31" draw. If they are stiff enough to load up on the front end with 300 to 400 grains and still tune well they might get you in the ball park without complicated assembly.

--------------------
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Posts: 255 | From: Reno Nevada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

sounds like another option worth looking into.Keeping the assembly relatively simple would be nice!

Thanks Tilzbow

rnharris
2017 Contributor
Member # 12670

thanks maybe a fish arrow inside a 2514?

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Yaa Ralph,I had a Daaaaa moment.Fish arrows are solid glass.Its been along long time since I bowfished.So yaa maybe a real fat aluminum would work.I know I read somebody used em in the past.Probably because thier were not many options avaiable to get a 1000 grain arrow.
rnharris
2017 Contributor
Member # 12670

yep i may not go to africa but we got some humongous hogs around here good experiment for some heavy shafts,ttt

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

LONGBOWKID
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LONGBOWKID   Email LONGBOWKID   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1/4" Rebar. [biglaugh]

--------------------
Turkey Creek Longbows
60" 46#@29"
62" 51@29"
62" 61#@29"
62" 77#@29"

Holm-Made Osprey
60" 67#@29"

Posts: 521 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EasyEd
SPONSOR
Member # 14706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EasyEd   Author's Homepage   Email EasyEd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Steelhead and friends,
I just read the responses to your questions on Cape buffalo arrows and would like to add some comments and make a suggestion. Over the last 6 years, approximately 40+ of my customers have taken Cape and Asian buffalo with our GrizzlyStik arrows and broadheads. This does not include hippo, giraffe and elephant. Some bowhunters have reported pass through’s on a Cape and elephant. No one has reported lost game because of inadequate arrow penetration. A 950 grain GrizzlyStik Safari is proven to consistently do the job on the Cape without needing any weight tubes, lead wire, special inserts, inner shafts, etc. And now with the addition of the one piece, stainless steel Ashby broadhead, the GrizzlyStik is even more effective. References are provided at your request. Take a look at my web site, www.alaskabowhunting.com, and drop me an email or give me a call.
Cheers,
Ed Schlief
Alaska Bowhunting Supply

--------------------
http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/

Posts: 4 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Thankyou very much Ed.I also appreciate the PM.I will be in contact with you as the time approaches for the hunt to discuss details of your arrow and setup.

Appreciate it!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©