Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » grizzly bears what do you think (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: grizzly bears what do you think
jrchambers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrchambers   Email jrchambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not set up your arow thinking you will penetrate the shoulder, as you most likely will not. i have shot a big blackbear square in the shoulder with a 680gr arow two blade out of a 63 lb bow at 25 yards the head stuck in the shoulder blade, almost nocked the bear over but didnt get in the goods, personaly for a brownie i would be looking for a reasonable arrow weight around 600 + or- a little, and have good speed where shooting 30 isnt out of the questiong, of course 30 yards takes lots of practice but thats what we like to do. i personaly wouldnt want to be too much closer than 20, i want time to grab my other weapon. as getting within 20 or closer to a bear with out it knowing you are there is hard enough for one guy let alone two.
Posts: 1158 | From: kenai alaska | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Stokes
Contributor 2010
Member # 16802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Stokes   Email Don Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooting the shoulder on a grizz should not even be considered, unless you're contemplating suicide.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Posts: 2602 | From: New Albany, MS | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one said to contemplate shooting at a shoulder. The point of the comment was to optimize the arrow for penetration. If you happen to hit heavy bone you can still get penetration with the right arrow and proper optimization.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozy clint
Contributor 2012
Member # 15776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozy clint   Email ozy clint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
black bears, certainly. brown bears, i'm not so sure. i'd be thinking 60#@28" with 10gr/# would be a sensible minimum. i've skinned black bears and there's really nothing to them. i don't have any experience with grizzlies other than seeing them. i imagine that the are a little tougher though.

--------------------
The mountains song
is not heard by all
But the lure is strong
who hear it's call.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Posts: 2276 | From: in the hills south of Stanthorpe, Qld, Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with brown bears and larger black bears is that they do not die very quickly if they are not hit well. There are a lot of horror stories about big bears being shot and then mauling the shooters. The problem with the stories ( all true ) that you don't hear is about bad shot placement, even multiple bad shot placement and that leaves the bear able to attack the shooter.

I grew up around and have been around bear guides all my life. I have hunted bears all my life. They are not nearly as tough as people make them out to be. A guide buddy of mine gets a real kick out of guys who show up for a black bear hunt with a 300 Win Mag or 375 H & H. He says they just blow the hide up and make life hard on the taxidermist. He likes to see anything from a 6.5 mm to a light loaded 308 with solids. His mantra is big bullets you can't shoot straight don't match smaller rounds you hit with.

When you skin out a grizzly or large blackbear you rapidly find out that they are not a particularly heavy boned animal. Water Buff they are not. If you hunt them enough you also learn that a double lung shot leads to a running animal that dies quickly. Heart shots also result in quick deaths. Most any other hit can lead to problems.

I will never forget the first Black Bear I saw killed. I was 6 and just walking along with my uncles while they hunted a ridge for elk up near Mt Hood. A large for this area ( 400 lb ) Black Bear swam the river in the valley below us and started up the ridge line. One of my uncles had a tag and put a shot into the bear. That bear got really angry and charged up the side of the ridge at us. My uncles volley fired on that bear emptying their rifles.

One of the bears legs was broken in the shooting. The bear ran back to the river and swam across. My grandfather, brother, and father were on the far ridge watching the whole thing. I watched from across the valley as grandpa sat down, braced up and put that running bear down with one well placed round from 300 yards. The bear was a mess and had 8 rounds in his body. Only grandpas was well placed.

When my uncles and I got across the river, my grandpa had a few choice things to say to them about shot placement and getting over excited in dangerous situations. He looked at my brother and I and said " Boy's when the killing begins you have to be calm and collected, nothing matters but making the shot". I never forgot that simple statement from a man I respected.

Get close, make a clean shot and put that shot in the boiler room. Make a bad shot and you are going to have a pissed off bear either headed your way fast, or hiding in the brush where you have to go in after him with all the advantages on his side. The real key is shoot what you can shoot straight with every time. Get inside your comfortable accurate shooting range, and put the arrow in the lungs or heart. Anything else with any weapon can lead to the same bad results. Upping your bow weight will not counter bad form and bad shots due to that same bow weight.

--------------------
Clay Walker

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrchambers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrchambers   Email jrchambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i second that, i was with a friend that arrowed a big black bear looked like a decent hit but we still waited, blood loked like a liver so we took our time, lots of blood the next day, we expected to find the bear. well we did but it wasnt dead and it did what black bears do best ran straight up the mountain and we didnt see another lick of blood, the bear bedded in a avalanch shoot that still had snow, i think the cold stoped the external bleeding. so my point they are as wise as they are tough. i have never seen a blackie go out of sight with two lungs hit, a friend that shoots the wrong kind of bow got a complete pass through on a big brown both lungs, there was blood waist high on all of the alders but he went hundreds of yards in brush that you would expect only hogs to run through. I would consider them two different worlds when it comes to follow up even with a perfect shot.
Posts: 1158 | From: kenai alaska | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Stokes
Contributor 2010
Member # 16802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Stokes   Email Don Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, RF, I was reacting to the statement you made, "This type of arrow will shoot thru ribs or shoulder bones and penetrate plenty deep for a clean kill on a grizzly."

I don't believe you can count on shooting through shoulder bones on ANY game animal of any size. It can happen, but you can't count on it.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Posts: 2602 | From: New Albany, MS | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Don,

We agree on that last part. I have seen bows shoot thru the shoulder and seen them fail to do say. The ones I have seen fail are always shooting light weight arrows. Heavier arrows can fail to penetrate a shoulder as well, depending on angle and shooting distance. They are just a lot more likely to do so than a light weight arrow.

--------------------
Clay Walker

frank the hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank the hunter   Email frank the hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks again guys for the help & have a great day
Posts: 119 | From: flushing ny | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silvertip73
2017 Contributor
Member # 25828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silvertip73   Email silvertip73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ragnarok Forge
I like your point of view. You can't beat experience and common sense!

Posts: 232 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fischman
Contributor 2014
Member # 2793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fischman   Author's Homepage   Email Fischman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say 50# is too light! C'mon overkill here isn't a bad thing and having a heavyweight setup should be a must-especially if you think your gonna have to backup with rifle. And sorry if I hurt your feelings JW. But, ya this is a trad site and no reason to post your rifle pics here!!

--------------------
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Posts: 178 | From: SW Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank the hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank the hunter   Email frank the hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks guys for the help i am working on shooting a heaver bow have a great day & great holidays
Posts: 119 | From: flushing ny | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silvertip73
2017 Contributor
Member # 25828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silvertip73   Email silvertip73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not an expert on dangerous game, but shot placement is always the most important part of the hunt. If you can't accurately shoot a high pondage bow then shoot the one you can shoot accurately. IMO
Posts: 232 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
motorhead7963
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for motorhead7963   Email motorhead7963   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personally I don't know why a person would take a marginally weighted bow on a Grizzly hunt.If I wasn't able to shoot, say a 60# bow I would be working up to that long before hunt day. A grizz hunt with a bow is on my bucket list and believe you me I will be taking enough bow!!!
Posts: 452 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hvyhitter
Contributor 2014
Member # 15486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hvyhitter   Email hvyhitter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just pull up the trail cam pics from Alaska that were posted about a month or so ago showing just how HUGE these bears can be.......I would want at least a 600 gr arrow and a bow that can sling it pretty fast.

--------------------
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Posts: 1425 | From: Zville OH | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©