Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » grizzly bears what do you think (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: grizzly bears what do you think
yukon254
Member # 27185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon254   Author's Homepage   Email yukon254   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive been guiding hunters in northern bc and the Yukon for over 25 years now, and have seen my share of bears taken with archery tackle. 50# is plenty, just use heavy arrows and good heads. Your guide will make sure you dont shoot to far so no need to worry about that. Grizzlys have very thin hide compared to moose, or even caribou. I would far rather have a hunter with a 50# bow he can shoot very well to a hunter even slightly over-bowed. Good luck and have fun!

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Posts: 5 | From: Yukon Territory Canada | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank the hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank the hunter   Email frank the hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys it seams fifty pounds is just right for me to shoot well with thanks for all the help and hunt safe
Posts: 119 | From: flushing ny | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SERGIO VENNERI
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SERGIO VENNERI   Email SERGIO VENNERI   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the most important issue is to be Mentally prepared for this hunt! A big brownie a close range is not for the faint of heart. That being said, i believe you are at the low end of the a bow weight range. But with perfect shot placement and a razor sharp broadhead and you should be fine.
Posts: 1810 | From: Timmins, ontario Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesKerr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesKerr   Email JamesKerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot a 55 pound tomahawk diamond series bow and would feel comfortable shooting anything on this continent with it

--------------------
James Kerr

Posts: 3694 | From: LA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracks
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracks   Email Tracks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been doing this long, but it seems to me like there are too many factors to only consider draw weight...
That and asking such a question on an internet forum is like asking your buddies if you should get married... if you haven't made up your own mind on your own accord, the answer should be "no."

Posts: 130 | From: 60 N, 145 W | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve H.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve H.   Author's Homepage   Email Steve H.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since my first post I have now witnessed two additional arow strikes on a medium-large coastal Brown Bear. Both shot were with a 50# recurve, 2018's, and a heavy non-vented 3 blade at 15-18 yards. The first arrow hit square on the shoulder blade and actually penetrated the bone and got one lung (the shoulder was unfortunately back at the impact).

The second arrow easily penerated the rib cage with no issues what so ever. Unfortunately the second arrow wasn't the first (I'm convinced it would have died in 30 yards) and the bear enetered the woods over the top of us and the release of lead was entervening between arrows.

Posts: 2425 | From: Moose Pass, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank the hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank the hunter   Email frank the hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Steve for the help have a great day
Posts: 119 | From: flushing ny | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lechwe
Contributor 2017
Member # 4214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lechwe   Email Lechwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to second guess a couple of folks who have spent several years with this. I would say their experience is more valuable than those of us who want to do this but haven't yet. Sounds like 50# is just plenty if the proper arrow is used and shooting is good.

Good luck.

Posts: 567 | From: Holt, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eagleone
Contributor 2015
Member # 25535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eagleone   Email eagleone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That and asking such a question on an internet forum is like asking your buddies if you should get married... if you haven't made up your own mind on your own accord, the answer should be "no." " now thats funny! I dont know if 50# will do it but whatever you decide - make sure you can draw it AND shoot it while you are just about to crap your pants!

--------------------
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Posts: 409 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thebear_78
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thebear_78   Email Thebear_78   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A guy I know shot clean thru one with a 54# fox breed recruve and cedar arrow. I would say you should be fine, heavy arrow sharp broad head and put the arrow behind the shoulder in the ribs.
Posts: 246 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkDan
Contributor 2016
Member # 429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkDan   Email AkDan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 4019 | From: Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkDan
Contributor 2016
Member # 429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkDan   Email AkDan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
60lbs liberty chief longbow, tapered doug fir arrow 2 blade zwickey eskimo....double lung didnt penetrate the off side shoulder, rolled the tip, bear ran 75-80 yards. Shot on sept 17th 2011.
Posts: 4019 | From: Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Margly
Contributor 2013
Member # 18615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Margly   Author's Homepage   Email Margly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AkDan:
60lbs liberty chief longbow, tapered doug fir arrow 2 blade zwickey eskimo....double lung didnt penetrate the off side shoulder, rolled the tip, bear ran 75-80 yards. Shot on sept 17th 2011.

What a bear [clapper]
Congratulations!

--------------------
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey [thumbsup]

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 1585 | From: Norway | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grizz
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grizz   Author's Homepage   Email grizz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's what I like to see, results!

--------------------
mike

Posts: 229 | From: Paonia, Colorado | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chinook907
Contributor 2017
Member # 14488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chinook907   Email chinook907   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go, beautiful hide !

--------------------
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Posts: 903 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©