Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » grizzly bears what do you think (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: grizzly bears what do you think
JimB
Contributor 2017
Member # 17284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimB   Email JimB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lovin' that too.nice job and great picture,AkDan.
Posts: 3761 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank the hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank the hunter   Email frank the hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the help guys with the way the times are now it might never happen but keep shooting till one day i go for the hunt of a life time
Posts: 119 | From: flushing ny | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBshooter2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBshooter2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fred Eichler wrote a article about taking bears with a bow in bowhunter mag. He took his bears including griz and polar with a 54 lb palmer recurve. If you pick your shot and are close and have the right arrow, broadhead you should not have a problem. Go read his article and take his first hand knowledge on all the bears and you will see it's all about placement, bears are thin skinned and can be taken with the lighter bows.

--------------------
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Posts: 366 | From: IL | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen273
Contributor 2017
Member # 24602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gen273   Email Gen273   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great thread with a ton of good info [thumbsup]

--------------------
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Posts: 3884 | From: KY | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibow
Contributor 2014
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ibow   Email Ibow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread and good reading. AKDan, that is a beautiful bear! [thumbsup]

Having hunted black bears for many, many years with 46-48 pound recurves, I'm not sure what to think. Every year there a tons of huge blacks taken with very light trad bows, yet blacks don't have the reputation and temperament of the grizzly (for the most part anyway).

I guess my gut feeling is 50 is enough if, like everyone else has mentioned, it's put right in the boiler room. Just like almost any other animal, if you were shooting a 80 pound bow and didn't put it where it needed to be, it's not going to have done you much good either.

Very interesting thread with lots of good advice offered by some very experienced hunters.

Posts: 1211 | From: Hudsonville, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amazonjim
Contributor 2016
Member # 19589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amazonjim   Email amazonjim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you take someone with you, that you can out run.
Posts: 781 | From: Caledonia, MS | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Ripper
Member # 37004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Ripper   Email Jack Ripper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amazonjim:
Make sure you take someone with you, that you can out run.

[laughing]

--------------------
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

Posts: 88 | From: Lake Tawakoni Tx | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q73
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Q73   Email Q73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man you guys are making me want to go hunt bear.

--------------------
Turkey Creek Extreme - 57#@28"
Black Creek Banshee - 41#@28"
Yellowstone Express - 53#@27"

Posts: 198 | From: Northern New Mexico | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBshooter2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBshooter2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Posts: 366 | From: IL | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pruiter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pruiter   Email pruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50 pd bow with a sharp broadhead will do the job just fine; its shoot placement . How calm a person can remain under stress is the key.

--------------------
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor longbow 71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Posts: 147 | From: canada | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fletcher
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2016
Member # 1125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fletcher   Email Fletcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm not goin there!

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Posts: 5798 | From: Rochester, IL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BearCrkBandit
Member # 39246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BearCrkBandit   Email BearCrkBandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say your setup is plenty if shots are kept close, I would go with the heaviest arrows that will tune in your bow, and a stout 2 blade single bevel broadhead. I took a grizzly a couple weeks ago with a 60# recurve, 750 grain (total weight) Easton FMJ arrows, and a Grizzly broadhead. 14 yard shot, broadside with the far leg back. Complete penetration, both lungs, came out through the front of the far leg, and he only went 40 yards. Green scored 25 7/16", squared 8'9"
Posts: 61 | From: Alaska | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BearCrkBandit
Member # 39246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BearCrkBandit   Email BearCrkBandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a photo of that bear:  -
Posts: 61 | From: Alaska | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibow
Contributor 2014
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ibow   Email Ibow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the trophy of a lifetime! Great picture!
Posts: 1211 | From: Hudsonville, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killinstuff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killinstuff   Email killinstuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want one. Maybe two.

--------------------
lll

Posts: 1335 | From: Traverse City Michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©