Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Do you wear rubber gloves cleaning hogs? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Do you wear rubber gloves cleaning hogs?
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people seem to think hogs are more likely to transmit disease maybe because they are ugly? Well animals are equal when it comes to that so wear your gloves for all or none-you decide.
Posts: 9987 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rattus58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rattus58   Author's Homepage   Email Rattus58   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bowjangle:
Do you NEED to wear gloves when clean a hog? I've heard it both ways. If you don't have a cut on your hands and forarms aren't you okay? Or,is it the safe thing to do to always slip on rubber gloves?
I don't think ole timers did and don't think Arkansas ole timers particularly did and don't remember any talk about the diseases they got from cleaning hogs.
I'd like both some advice and a poll of you hog hunters.
Charles

In Hawaii, you can easily get leptospirosis from the blood through a cut... fairly nasty affliction... and if not diagnosed properly...fatal.

With goats and other animals, gloves helps keep from transferring dirt and "smells" (goats etc) to the meat when you're careful.

I ALWAYS use surgical gloves which I buy by the box for cheap....

The only bit I have is that they are hot... but that is better than diseased...

Much Aloha... [Cool]

Posts: 148 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mambashooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mambashooter   Email mambashooter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any feral hogs I kill..I give them to the buzzards.In my opinion these hogs are the nastiest in the world. I have seen them eat everything from rotten dead cattle to eating the mature of deer. [nono]
Posts: 183 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkman
Member # 21524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkman   Email Hawkman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been a licensed falconer since 1994. I use trained hawks to catch wild game with. In 1998 I caught a squirrel with a red tail hawk I had at the time. The date was December 17th. It was a mild winter, as I cleaned the squirrel and it was noticeably thin. Two days later I felt like I had the flu this lasted 5 days I felt like I was going to die! I went to the doctor and he in fact told me I was dying but he couldnt figure out why, my heart and lungs were failing. I was admitted to the hospital ASAP. An infectious disease doctor was interviewing me asking if I ate any bloody meat? yes last month..nope too long ago not Burcellocis(SP?), Have you been exposed to raw sewage? yep at work two weeks back...nope cant be whatever it was he said..my wife says probably those damned hawks..he asks what I do with them, I tell him, he asks if any game recently cleaned was sick lately I tell him about the thin squirrel, with the bad coat, some ticks, it was sick...Textbook case of Tularemia, he says, orders IV antibiotics, a near death experience that night, and the next day I am on the road to recovery. For a week I didnt do anything but lay in a hospital bed Ididnt eat for two week I dont want to describe the vomiting and diareah but it was vile nothing but water literally for the first week in the hospital. The whole time I had doctors of all manner coming in with clipboards looking at me as if I was some type of unbelievable freak from Ripleys believe it or not.When I recovered the infectious disease doctor came in and told me had you not quit smoking 3 months before you would be dead. He also said he had seen two cases of this before. One was a little boy who buried a dead rabbit he found in the backyard he died, later they figured out in autopsy what he had ..Tularemia. Another was a man who hunted some jackrabbits in Kansas cam home died and he too, autopsy...Tularemia..I love to hunt I live to hunt. During hunting season my whole life if I rasie my hands to my face I can smell blood on them from cleaning game 5-7 days a week,literally, its in my soul. Two weeks after I get out of the hospiatl I was able to get out with my reliable old red tail her name was shotgun her first flight she caught a cottontail. I pulled out the rubber gloves, dispatched the rabbit that was in her feet, and gently pulled its front leg off for her so I could take the bunny from her without a fuss. As I pulled the leg off the scapula on the front leg of the rabbit cut my left palm to the bone! A friend of mine with me that day says I have a deathwish. I pulled off the gloves and from that day forward I dont use rubber gloves, I still hunt, I clean game with my barehands,I do however refuse to clean game if it is sick looking or acting, or if the liver is diseased and I always carry a water, soap, rubbing alcohol solution in a jug, to clean up with everytime I clean game. Be careful, bacteria is invisible. I could see the squirrel was sick and went against my better judgement, it nearly cost my life.
Thanks,
Chris

Posts: 20 | From: St.Louis, Missouri | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dente
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dente   Email Al Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have on hand several pairs of insemination gloves, they go up to your shoulder and prevent any blood from getting on your hands, arms, or shirtsleeves.

--------------------
Vice President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
All the best to you and yours
>>>>------------------------>

Posts: 1328 | From: New York | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spinealigner
Contributor 2016
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spinealigner   Email Spinealigner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately, I have been wearing gloves on all critters I start cutting on. More so for the clean up factor. But for pigs I will double glove.
Posts: 148 | From: NC | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I remember some old saying...an ounce of prevention is worth a penny earned or something? [/QB]
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. [Wink]

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16506 | From: Pattersonville, NY | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cane Knife
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cane Knife   Email Cane Knife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear those long disposable gloves that come up to your armpits and then I put surg. gloves over that to snug for better feel. Protection plus, clean up is a whiz. If I touch something like bowel, I strip off the surg. gloves and put on another pair. Easy. I use when I clean anything, even big fish.
Posts: 145 | From: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDHunter
Contributor 2016
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TDHunter   Email TDHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gloves are cheap! cheap! and are a great Idea for many different animals.

--------------------
62"55lb @ 28 Chek-mate Hunter
60"50lb @ 28 Hoyt Dorado s
64"51lb @ 28 2pc A&H

Posts: 804 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EL Mejor
Contributor 2014
Member # 14453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EL Mejor   Email EL Mejor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW GOOD INFO...

--------------------
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Posts: 874 | From: BRONX NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
okcaveman
Member # 18382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okcaveman   Email okcaveman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely ever wear gloves and throughout the year il clean everything that we have a hunting/fishing season on. No problems....Yet. It is really scary when you take a wildlife disease course and see what is out there and I for one will tell yall that its better safe than sorry. Now I just need to learn to take my own advice
Posts: 69 | From: OK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarponnut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had two friends in the past year nearly die from swine brucelosis. They both have killed hundreds of hogs, one always wears gloves the other never used to.
I've read that it can be contracted simply by breathing it in and doesn't have to get into a cut, necessarily.
I always wear gloves now when cleaning them.

Posts: 2464 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my Understanding you can contract Brucelosis just from breathing it in.

I very seldom use glove's, i prob should but skin so many it difficult to keep enough gloves.
Like mentioned though they are cheap, and worth using

I have started to carry Dettol "Instant hand sanitizer" in my pack
if you kill and cut up a lot of hogs or any animals for that matter
look it up
put some in your pack
works great

hunt hard

Andy Ivy

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swinestalker
Conributor 2015
Member # 28909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swinestalker   Email Swinestalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've cleaned hundreds of hogs and other critters with no problems. After reading this thread, seems maybe I've been lucky!

--------------------
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Posts: 652 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hefty hunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hefty hunter   Email hefty hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
universal precautions, if blood is going to be involved i wear gloves, and always wash my hands afterwards. the cost is so cheap it does not make sense not to use them
Posts: 153 | From: western pa | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©