Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Do you wear rubber gloves cleaning hogs? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Do you wear rubber gloves cleaning hogs?
landman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 25568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landman   Email landman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use rubber gloves, typically the dish washing kind, whenever I field dress any mammal at any time of the year. The gloves I use will occasionally tear though, so I looked around and found these...kinda pricey but probably reusable.

http://www.sears.com/t-h-g-arms-length-rubber-latex-all-purpose-cleaning-glove/p-SPM6108016508P?prdNo=1

Posts: 431 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mongo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mongo   Email Mongo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, I don't use them for Deer, Sheep r Goats either.

--------------------
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Posts: 194 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. Big, thick yellow gloves from the grocery store -- the dishwashing type. Cheap insurance I think.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2186 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should add that I use gloves for all big game cleaning.

--------------------
TGMM
Compton
PBS

Posts: 2186 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnV   Email JohnV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gloves are a very good idea when field dressing, skinning, and/or butchering any animal. People have gotten very sick and some have even died from diseases contracted from handling dead animals. Chances are you will never have a problem but tell that to the few that have gotten very sick or the families of those who have died from contracted diseases.

--------------------
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 457 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gringol
Contributor 2014
Member # 34789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gringol   Email gringol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not using gloves is like not wearing a harness in a treestand. You might get away with it for a long time, some can get away with it for their whole life, but really what's the point of chancing it? One infected animal is all it takes to put you in the hospital. Gloves are cheap, don't take up much space, are light, and could save your life and your health. Really, what's the downside?

I use nitrile rubber gloves always, no matter what kind of animal I'm cleaning. A box of 100 pairs costs around $20.

Posts: 1651 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medic85
Contributor 2014
Member # 36800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Medic85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this link has been posted yet but I thought it might be useful...

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/health-disease/swine-brucellosis/

Posts: 164 | From: Tallahassee, Fl. | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtpops
Contributor 2015
Member # 7254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtpops   Email wtpops   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spend a lot of money on this sport, equipment,hunts and and so on. the gloves are darn near free, why not use them.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Posts: 2723 | From: Siloam Springs, AR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halfseminole
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for halfseminole   Email halfseminole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I nearly died four times from an infection in my face, and it took multiple surgeries that took all my teeth as well as some muscle, and left me with permanent neurological damage to kill it. Lost a kidney from the drugs.

Mine was never sourced-they had never seen anything like it before. Wear the gloves. It's better safe than sorry.

Posts: 968 | From: Jasper, Alabama | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyfisher76544
Member # 35158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flyfisher76544   Author's Homepage   Email flyfisher76544   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, wear gloves with hogs....might have to start on deer as well.

--------------------
Common Sense, really isn't very common

Posts: 50 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigDBowHunter
Member # 38895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigDBowHunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear em just to be on the safe side. They are cheap / light / take up no space, and can prevent a huge pain in the ass! I am all for em!
Posts: 10 | From: California | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomcat8910
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomcat8910   Email tomcat8910   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I wear gloves while cleaning hogs and deer. Cheap price to pay to be safe.
Posts: 214 | From: TX | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aunty
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aunty   Email Aunty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should really wear gloves for all game not just pigs as they all carry nasties. I have never worn gloves and never will, I also dont know anybody that wears them. Its a matter of being aware thats all.
Posts: 279 | From: NewZealand, Invercargill | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarne
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scarne   Email Scarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear gloves with all game I handle. Why wouldn't you?

It's cheap insurance for more than just disease related issues. Your hands are clean and dry when you are finished, and it is far easier to maintain a solid grip on your knife and anything else that needs hanging onto.

All benefits that minimize failure in the field.

--------------------
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Posts: 193 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valleysniper
Member # 38397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valleysniper   Email valleysniper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I'm new to hogs, If you dont mind me asking, what the heck are you talking about ? didn't know you could get sick from them, why would anyone want to eat them if they are diseased ? sorry, but we dont have them where I'm from so not very experienced........gary
Posts: 99 | From: southwestern wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©