Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Do you wear rubber gloves cleaning hogs? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Do you wear rubber gloves cleaning hogs?
michaelschwister
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaelschwister   Email michaelschwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, never. I was a butcher in another life. I do carry a small bottle of 10% iodine and treat any cut immediately. I also just hang and skin the hogs, then bone them out. Never open the chesk cavity and only open the abdomen with a small slit to retrieve the Psoas major (tenderloin)

--------------------
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 565 | From: Elkton Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hogs are no different from other wild game, or not so wild for that matter. I'm sure undertakers wear gloves too.
Posts: 9987 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UrbanArcher1975
Member # 37005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanArcher1975   Email UrbanArcher1975   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Florida, about 20% it's estimated are seropositive for brucellosis. You can get the microb at anytime handling the meat, so be careful even in your kitchen and make sure you cook it well!
- A

--------------------
Bear Montana 55#

Posts: 80 | From: FL | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarponnut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were about 110 cases of swine brucellosis in Florida in 2011, I knew three of the guys! Two nearly died.These were guys that cleaned or handled hundreds of hogs per year. We wear rubber gloves cleaning hogs in camp at all times. We also rinse the knives during the butchering with water and after with bleach.Like Michael said, I never gut the hog unless the client/friend wants the ribs(very little meat) or tenderloins(which are tiny). You can get 90%+ of the meat off the pig without gutting it.Not gutting it greatly reduces the tools coming in contact with nasty stuff.
If the meat is cooked until well done it is totally safe to eat.Always use a meat thermometer while cooking!

Posts: 2463 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saltwatertom
Contributor 2014
Member # 11477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saltwatertom   Author's Homepage   Email saltwatertom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always carry gloves and almost always use them for almost all game. Especially in Hawaii, there are some really bad bugs down there! [scared]
I had what we believe was trichinosis once and believe me you DO NOT want to get it. The meds were $2600 ( yea you read that right ) for two weeks worth. Plus it is NO fun to have.
Be safe. [readit]

--------------------
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Posts: 546 | From: Homer, Alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am real bad about not using the gloves. One of the main reasons is this; I cannot remember a time that I have used them that they did not get holes in them anyway and me get hog blood all over my hands anyway. If there was a glove that was durable enough to make it through cleaning a hog, I would probably go back to using them.

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11127 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarponnut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dishwashing gloves are good. The regular surgical gloves fall apart pretty easily and I've torn up every pair I've ever used,too. Plus they tear the hair off of my caveman hands and wrists.
Posts: 2463 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i *always* carry at least 3 pair of nitrile surgical gloves in a plastic baggie, in my hunting hip pouch. yer skin is an organ and it can easily assimilate any nasties harbored in a critter's gut and blood. would that happen with every animal ya gutted and skinned? naw. but with my luck the first time i didn't use surgical gloves would be my most unlucky day.

-

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Life ~ NRA RSO ~ TMA ~ Buffalo Rifles

Posts: 9894 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ouachitamac
Member # 10405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ouachitamac   Email ouachitamac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never did. prob should have, but.....

--------------------
Genesis 27:3

Posts: 50 | From: mt ida arkansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
Contributor 2017
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an idiot, but even when I start with cloves, they usually tear, and I get blood and gore all over my hands. Lucky so far.
Posts: 5212 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last fall 2 guys in the middle GA area contracted brucellosis from cleaning hogs on their lease. It is bad stuff. I would use the gloves and clean up well afterwards.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4338 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnV   Email JohnV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The yellow-colored gloves that everyone complains of tearing are made of latex. Latex has a very limited shelf life. Use the blue nitrile gloves. They are much stronger and less prone to break down in storage. I know...I work in a lab and have to use protective gloves all the time. As others have commented, there are a lot of nasty diseases/disorders you can contract while handling game. Keep safe and wear gloves!

--------------------
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 416 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year, a couple of guys in the area contracted brucellosis from cleaning wild hogs. It is nasty stuff!

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4338 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©