Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » hogs... Danderous Game??? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: hogs... Danderous Game???
firsted
Contributor 2014
Member # 23172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firsted   Email firsted   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big feral hog will bust you up first, then eat you. That's dangerous to me.

--------------------
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Posts: 394 | From: Rio Rancho, New Mexico | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregg dudley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregg dudley   Author's Homepage   Email gregg dudley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I nearly got wrecked by a spike whitetail that wasn't yet dead when I grabbed it by the antler. I have had some interesting experiences with hogs in thick cover too. Anything you hunt can hurt you one way or another. When I hear dangerous game, though,I think Big 5 and big bears.

--------------------
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Posts: 5617 | From: weirsdale, fl | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaelschwister
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaelschwister   Email michaelschwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my years as a swine herdsman, butcher, and bowhunter of hogs I have never seen anything that makes me believe they are any more dangerous than a whitetail deer. Having said that, at Pig Gig # 4 a couple weeks ago my wife made a successful stalk on a medium bedded boar and was subsequantly charged twice for her trouble. I have had them bluff, but they always chicken out.

--------------------
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 565 | From: Elkton Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piggy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piggy   Email piggy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of hunters here in Australia have been mauled / ripped up by wild boars. Most you will find are either doggers (use dogs to locate and hold pig until it can be dispatched with a knife) or those who have chased a wounded pig until it eventually stop's and stands it ground.

However I have watched while a sow in a swamp walked straight out of the swamp and to my mate some 80+ meters away and proceeded to try and touch him up all the while he was swing his compound bow at her until she had had enough.
Needless to say myself and another hunter who were watching from the comfort of the car had a good old laugh.

Any animal can inflict some type of wound so all should be treated with that in mind.

Posts: 259 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a mate, Tony "Dances-With-Boars" Jensen, who seems to enjoy the occasional Cranky Boar Waltz.

I think the really big boys are potentially dangerous, but usually not. All the sows with suckers that I've encountered here in the NT have all chosen to err on the side of caution rather than gallantry.

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6037 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the chap that had Tony dancing his finest hot-shoe-shuffle:

-

This is why many of us Aussies believe in slightly more than 50# of bow, and heavy arrows.

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6037 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarponnut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't consider feral hogs "dangerous game" per se, but they can surely hurt you!
I think a lot of feral hog "charges" is just the hog running your direction (not necessarily coming for you, although that happens now and again).Just about every hog guide I've met has a few scars.

Russian boars I do consider dangerous game. A couple of months ago my buddy went on a hunt to Ted Nugent's ranch(high fenced) in Michigan. His buddy was treed by a boar that hadn't even been shot at! It just saw him stalking another hog and charged him!
Another friend once had to run from a feral sow with young.

Posts: 2463 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rik
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rik   Email Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any one here know who Billy Baker was?

If not, check out the Australian Bowhunter's Hall of Fame.

I remember one hunt with Bill and his mate Brad Kane deep in the Idaho back country. We had a bit of, shall we say, "an adventure," and that got Brad and Bill to telling stories around the campfire about bad things happening in the Outback.

Well, in one of the tales, seems Bill was hunting the tall grass with two mates, one of whom was a rather large, strong, kill-you-in-a-bar-fight type of guy.

So, said guy shoots a boar, follows it into the "LONG GRASS" to finish it off. Trouble is, the boar has already laid his trap. He hit the guy, knocks him flat, and proceeds to rip the ____ out of his adversary.

Long story short, one long, sharp tusk slices the scrotum wide open and "the boys" come falling out. They are still attached, just hanging free, if you know what I mean.

So, Billy and his friend save the day, save the bowhunter, and get him back to the Ute. Off they go, toward the hospital, several hours away on dirt roads.

Aussies to the core, the two un-injured Aussies try to comfort their, shall we say, "rather large mate," who is cradling "the boys" in his hands as they bump over the rough Outback dirt road toward the hospital.

They are joking, as only Aussies can, about the dire straights, and how funny that is, that their mate is in. If you could joke about one of your best friends getting his jewels ripped wide open, you can imagine how much fun that could be!

Well, about a half hour into the drive, their mate, who, as I mentioned before, is a kill-you-in-a-bar-fight type of guy, quietly tells them basically, and if I can remember Billy's words:

" you mates had best shut the F--- up."

Dead silence all the way from there to the hospital, where, I am happy to report, the boys were happily restored to their rightful place.

Their mate, however, would be mortified by how hard Brad and Bill were laughing while they told this story, high up in the Rocky Mountains in the deep and steep Idaho elk country.

Yeah, I admit it, I was laughing too. Or, as they say in Oz, "Laughing me arse off!

Big boars, dangerous? Nah, they are as tame as kittens!

(I only hope I have that same view as I return from a full month of hunting The Cape this July.)

Posts: 607 | From: Horseshoe Bend, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piggy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piggy   Email piggy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rik I was fortunate enough to have spent many a night listening to many stories inc the one you mentioned from one of OZ's great bow hunters!
Have you read his book?
Never underestimate game animals

Posts: 259 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if hogs are considered dangerous or not, I know a lot more folks that have been hurt by them than deer though....and its fine to talk about them on this forum.

I'd like to know more about Bill Bakers book...like where can you get it and the title?

--------------------
Woolshire Carpet Mills, Inc.

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 29581 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pruneemac
Member # 18194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pruneemac   Email Pruneemac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know if they have ever been designated "Dangerous Game" but they sure can be dangerous when wounded!
Posts: 85 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piggy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16764

His book is called "Born to the Bow" I will let you know where you can purchase it.
A Great read

Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Kidner   Email Al Kidner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day fella's,

For those that are keen on ordering Bill's book... Yes there are still some books available. Just send cheque or cash for $30 (includes postage) to 9/22 Thurlow St, Newmarket, QLD, 4051, Australia. Put a small note inside that your after a book of Bill's and make sure there is a return address to somewhere.

Your book will be sent out asap from here in aussie. I just got in contact with James Baker, Bill's son who looks after the sale of whats left of these collectors items now.

Cheers,

ak.

P.S, still miss yah Bill, and Brad is still a crappy shot!

--------------------
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Posts: 2222 | From: Mackay,QLD, Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHO do I make the check out to?

Is $30 US funds OK?

I need a copy of that book!!!

Thanks,

--------------------
Woolshire Carpet Mills, Inc.

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 29581 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texas woody
Member # 8519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texas woody   Email texas woody   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a lease in Archer City, TX where monsterquest was looking for the next hogzilla, we have way too many hogs there according to the local ranchers. We have hunted many hogs day and night with no attacks yet,not an outright dangerous animal, but the beast sure do provide some good stories
Posts: 62 | From: Azle, TX | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©