Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » hogs... Danderous Game??? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: hogs... Danderous Game???
michaelschwister
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaelschwister   Email michaelschwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess it depends on your perspective. I don't think jumping out of airplanes is dangerous, neither is riding a Harley in DC traffic. If you are used to something it just seems normal. Now being a single man on the dating scene....VERY dangerous...;-)

--------------------
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 571 | From: Elkton Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texas woody
Member # 8519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texas woody   Email texas woody   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rik,
that is one cool experience, I guess I have been lucky so far as the hogs we have gone after have had a way out other than through me. We did have an experience were my son missed his shot and mine grazed the pigs front leg. this pig cricled and came in twice before he made his exit.

Posts: 62 | From: Azle, TX | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike....I'm use to hog hunting, and its normal, and I respect them. Never worry about whitetails charging me.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 30432 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaelschwister
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaelschwister   Email michaelschwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry

I probably should respect them more. My closest encounter was at FT Stewart in 98. We would do 12 mile road marchs down the tank trails. At the turn around point we would place a junior NCO in a HMMWV with a radio. I was getting reports of a boar chasing the troops. Good intel!! I went after that raascal!! One evening 3 sows with piglets were feeding along the edge of the trail right at dark at the turn around point. Out of the palmettos about 100 yards out came a thin but old black boar with long cutters. He saw me right off on the elavated tank trail and started right for me growling and popping his teeth and shaking his head. I kept sneaking towards him with a snuffer tipped nitro stinger on the string(your recommend, if you remember) Well he kept coming and I kept coming....we got about 20 yards and I was hoping he would keep coming until I had a shot..at about 18yds I still only had head, and a lightbulb went on in his head. I swear his expression changed when he figured out I was not running and was about ready to give him a snuffer from my 77# Ferguson. He wheeled and made it the 100 yards faster than a spooked whitetail. I was REALLY dissapointed he did not try me out, I would have stuck him at point blank range. I guess he was used to the troops running when he postured. One thing life on the farm taught, when you act like your are in charge, the animals think you are in charge. Act afraid or run when challenged, the animal will know they are in charge.

--------------------
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 571 | From: Elkton Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cohutta orange
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cohutta orange   Email cohutta orange   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael thanks for your service. We wouldn't be able to do all this trad stuff if it werent for people like you. God bless

--------------------
Shoot straight and keep the heads keen

Posts: 102 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya Mike....I've had my share of 'Mexican stand offs' as well.

I respect them more when its a big boar I've slipped up on in his sanctuary. I've been within 5-10 yards of a half dozen at least that were cussing me out, and I couldn't even see them, just the trees and bushes shaking.

Haven't had one break toward me yet, but I'm fully considering that they could at any moment.

It is a fun rush for sure....just be careful out there. I know another guy(non-hunter) that got treed in an apple orchard by a huge boar, and he got tired of waiting for it to leave and finally shot it with his pistol.

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 30432 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
string bean
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for string bean   Email string bean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when I was younger and into the Ninja craze, I'd dress head to toe in ninja gear, get on all fours, grunt and crawl in amongst 'em with my $5 "Rambo" knife mom bought for me off TV. Never did connect but got OH so close. Dang they're quick!

--------------------
It's not about the kill but the experience.
Bob Lee T/D

Posts: 240 | From: Groveton, Tx | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Yep...if a human will walk on all fours, and 'graze' at an angle tacking like a sail boat he can get real close to a lot of animals.

--------------------

Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

HA!....I knew that hogs were considered 'small game' in GA.....just I just leaned Turkeys were 'Big Game'.....TOO FUNNY

Maybe we should add turkeys as dangerous game. [biglaugh]

--------------------

OkKeith
Contributor 2010
Member # 10984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OkKeith   Email OkKeith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Terry,

You better watch out for those "Killer Gobblers"!

Some of those dudes can get ya. Pretty interesting thread.

OkKeith

--------------------
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 869 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCAMPBELL
Member # 12607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCAMPBELL   Email JCAMPBELL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot a boar last Friday and as I was crawling around following the blood trail I ran across these guys. Although I wouldn't classify hogs as dangerous game, had I picked one of these little guys up and made it squeal It would have probably made for a long night.

-

--------------------
Bear Super Kodiak
Black Widow PSAII 58"
Black Widow PSAII 60"
Cold Mountain Long Bow
Fox High Sierra

Posts: 5 | From: Sunset Beach, NC | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Northwest_Bowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Northwest_Bowhunter   Email Northwest_Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at Bob Wesley's this week and he showed me some video of a hog hunt. The hog charged him 3 times and ran into him twice (once injuring his leg) and you could tell by the reaction of the cameraman (he ran away twice) there was some tension in the air.

--------------------
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? ** My boys

Posts: 583 | From: Silverdale, Washington | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rik
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rik   Email Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fellow Northwest Bowhunter,

Oh Mannnnn! I have that same video. Bob sent it to me way, way back when I was publishing Instinctive Archer Magazine. A helluva hunt, eh?

That little video clip probably has a lot to do with why I am going to spend a full month in far northern Australia this summer, living in a small tent and hunting big, bruiser boars with heavy wood arrows.

I blame Bob. I would have been a normal, sane elk hunter totally content to limit myself to the Rocky Mountains if not for him sending me that video clip years ago. Been a big-boar addict ever since.

(Not to mention a Hill-bow fanatic)

Posts: 607 | From: Horseshoe Bend, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rik
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rik   Email Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fellow Northwest Bowhunter,

Oh Mannnnn! I have that same video. Bob sent it to me way, way back when I was publishing Instinctive Archer Magazine. A helluva hunt, eh?

That little video clip probably has a lot to do with why I am going to spend a full month in far northern Australia this summer, living in a small tent and hunting big, bruiser boars with heavy wood arrows.

I blame Bob. I would have been a normal, sane elk hunter totally content to limit myself to the Rocky Mountains if not for him sending me that video clip years ago. Been a big-boar addict ever since.

(Not to mention a Hill-bow fanatic)

Posts: 607 | From: Horseshoe Bend, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rik
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1872

Derned double posts!

They're almost as bad as a boar that charges twice. Three times? Ooooh, not much fun there. . . been there, done that.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©