Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » hogs... Danderous Game??? (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: hogs... Danderous Game???
piggy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piggy   Email piggy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from one of the lads In Australia who had an encounter with a Hog last week, Hog's dangerous game Yep.
 -

You can read the story here

http://www.aussiebowhunter.com/showthread.php?t=29527

Posts: 259 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tis Meerly a Flesh Wound!"

I might have to buy some Kevlar pants for our trip to Oz next year. That would put a damper on a hunting trip.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piggy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piggy   Email piggy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
"Tis Meerly a Flesh Wound!"

I might have to buy some Kevlar pants for our trip to Oz next year. That would put a damper on a hunting trip.

You"ll be right mate, its not the wound you have to worry about it's the possibility of infection, some years back a young fella had to have a leg amputated due to the infection from an attack by a pig.
Posts: 259 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Maher
Contributor 2017
Member # 5543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Maher   Email Ben Maher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Piggy's right..it is the infection that will do you in . Chewing on carrion gives a good chance to carry lots of great lil' friends around. And if you are chasing them up far north Australia its about as geographically isolated as you can get . But its all about the adventure eh !
Clay ... they don't attack that much, but when they do you just have to be careful.I figure if you can guys can live with bears that'll climb a tree , you should be ok with a measly 200kg tusker! I'm always more concerned about sows with little ones than I am about solitary boars .

--------------------
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Posts: 2652 | From: australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rattus58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rattus58   Author's Homepage   Email Rattus58   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tradtusker:
Not Sure
I dont put them in the "Dangerous Game" category.
Sure are awesome to hunt though.

That's probably cuz you've never been treed by one.... [goldtooth]
Posts: 148 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking forward to the chance to stalk and stick a sharp arrow in a few of them. Bears can be dangerous. I chase them every year on the ground so hog should be a fun challenge.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piggy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16764

Mate you will be OK considering the number of people who hunt pigs compared to the number of people who actually get nailed (injured) buy one in percentage terms would be quite low.
Any animal can be dangerous given the right circumstances.

Hope you have a great time while in OZ.
Where are you going?

Siewho
Member # 21489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siewho   Email Siewho   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the last few years two of my hunting mates have at least twice being bowled over by NT Boars (Northern Australia). Fortunately only their pride that took some bashing. I have myself came very closed to being attacked by a rather large sow that was guarding her babies.I had to shoot it under 10 yards when it came charging straight at me.

--------------------
Siewho

Posts: 70 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ermont
2017 Contributor
Member # 25655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ermont   Email ermont   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They may not be considered dangerous but a 300 pounder came close to eating my lunch and no he wasn't injured.
Posts: 1719 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arrowsmack324
Member # 19711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrowsmack324   Email arrowsmack324   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nasty buggers the lot of em. I've never been opened by one but don't have enough digits to count the close calls.
Posts: 9 | From: Kingwood, TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaur
Member # 15772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaur   Email Gaur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
enjoyed the stories. I live in Thailand and have read stories from "tracks of the intruder" by Gordon Young who hunting here in the 1950s. He talked about coming across a tribal man that was torn to shreds by one. Gordon was also "hunted" by a boar that he was tracking and almost got it by him. One thing he said was that they were very smart. I think the true wild boars that were here more commonly before were a different animal then the ones in the woods now (I confirmed they were feral from the eye tooth present behind the tusk of a couple of skulls I have seen).

--------------------
"... He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver" Is 49:2

Posts: 42 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucas K
Contributor 2012
Member # 13615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucas K   Email Lucas K   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guar, great to see you on here, always love the insight you bring. How was the wet season?

--------------------
Lucas Kent

Posts: 630 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaur
Member # 15772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaur   Email Gaur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lucas,

Its been raining a lot. Broke my toe (almost ripped it off) playing soccer with the kids barefoot and so its been a while since I've make it out to the woods with my bow but hope to get out soon.

Randy

--------------------
"... He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver" Is 49:2

Posts: 42 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaelschwister
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaelschwister   Email michaelschwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know more people who have been attacked by whitetail bucks in the wild than have been attacked by wild pigs in the wild.

--------------------
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 569 | From: Elkton Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a half dozen folks with scars from hogs.....but not one person attacked by a deer.

I can't figure out how there's even an argument over deer vs hogs.

--------------------
"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & **** ********** (coming soon)

Posts: 30007 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©