Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Who's killed a cougar with trad gear? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Who's killed a cougar with trad gear?
Etter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 26482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etter   Email Etter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and a good buddy are booking a hunt for lions in Idaho with Korell Outfitters. We're going in February of 2013. I just took up trad shooting and am hoping to be hunt ready come next deer season. Has anyone killed a lion on here? How far up are the typical shots?
Posts: 275 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rabob
Contributor 2016
Member # 3654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rabob   Email Rabob   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a Lion in Colorado back a few years ago.I was hunting in area 61 with Garvey Bros Outfitters.The shot I had was about 60 feet up in a cottonwood tree.Make sure you practice shooting up in a tree.Good hunting.

Regards,Ray

Posts: 833 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve H.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve H.   Author's Homepage   Email Steve H.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One in 1992 in Wyoming, shot was pretty close, maybe 15 feet up and 25 feet from the base of the tree.

Second cat was 2009 in Arizona. Cat was way back in a "cave" in fractured rock after baling twice from trees.

Posts: 2410 | From: Moose Pass, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnbwhtr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnbwhtr   Email mnbwhtr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was shot about 30 ft. Cat was maybe 15 ft up the tree. The shot will be an anti climax, it's all about the dogs and the experience!
Posts: 400 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flatshooter
2017 Contributor
Member # 10184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flatshooter   Email Flatshooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took mine in AZ in 2006 . AZ Fish and Game aged him at 12 1/2 and that made him one of the oldest desert cats ever taken with a bow. About eighteen feet up and some twenty feet out, he dropped out of the tree and ran about 50'before falling dead. Quartering shot put broadhead just out of his right shoulder and made a "star" impression on his cheek as he apparently turned his head into it. http://s530.photobucket.com/user/EVANSON/library/
Posts: 2852 | From: Eagleville, TN, | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cacciatore
Contributor 2017
Member # 17855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cacciatore   Email cacciatore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I killed mine in Montana under a very heavy snowfall.We walked from 6AM till 5PM down and up a canyon.The lion was some 45' up.Recurve bow and POC arrow.

--------------------
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Posts: 8890 | From: Italy/Colorado | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnovo
Contributor 2017
Member # 6889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnovo   Email dnovo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took one in CO in '05 hunting with Fred Eichler. Shot was about 30' feet up standing 10 yds from tree. JD Berry bows with ash arrows. 7th day of a 7 day hunt.

--------------------
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Posts: 1501 | From: Imperial, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roughcountry
Contributing Member 2006
Member # 2496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roughcountry   Email Roughcountry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great mount Flatshooter, most taxidermists don't do well with the big cats.
Posts: 2197 | From: Eastern Oregon | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tradesmen4
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tradesmen4   Email Tradesmen4   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took mine in Idaho with steel mountain outfitters.The hardest part about shooting is blocking out the dogs barking and focus. Practice all fall and it only cost me aswimming pool liner. Arrow deflected of a target I had hauled up a tree.
 -

--------------------
greg ketchum

Posts: 231 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oldbohntr
Contributor 2017
Member # 5733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldbohntr   Author's Homepage   Email oldbohntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the others said, it's not the distance, it's the uphill angles. And the noise of the dogs, chasing up and down through the snow, and all the adrenalin, pure excitement! It's not your typical peaceful whisper quiet bow hunting experience - it's a zoo going on out there! And you have to calm down and hit that little spot up in that tree! It's hard to remember that cat is not likely to come down unless something makes him.....so just relax, shut it all out, and make a good shot. That said, I'd practice some steep uphill shots into tight spots on an embankment or similar slope before the hunt. There will be limbs in the way and a pure broadside shot may not be possible. Mine was only 12 yards away. Have fun.

--------------------
Tom

Posts: 1144 | From: Washington state | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mb bowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mb bowman   Email mb bowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice looking cats!
Posts: 186 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2017
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MY friend Lenny Brown with the kitty he took with a Robertson Longbow

-

Here is the one I took, Osage selfbow, 10-12 yards 45 degree shot.

-

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 5071 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FerretWYO
Admin
Member # 13052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FerretWYO   Email FerretWYO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1998 here in wyoming with a pronghorn longbow.

--------------------
TGMM Family of The Bow

Posts: 6370 | From: Cheyenne Wy | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twitchstick
Contributor 2016
Member # 19043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twitchstick   Email twitchstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some good looking kitty's post here. I sure wished I was hunting cougars yesterday verses cutting juniper staves. I could hear the hounds in chase while I was cutting,get's you alittle excited! This is one hunt I need to do since I live in the hart of cougar country. I have a few people I know with dogs but never could justify paying a guide and would feel guilty to have a friend take me out for free. I might just have to bite the bullet and bribe some friends.
Posts: 2916 | From: utah | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SERGIO VENNERI
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SERGIO VENNERI   Email SERGIO VENNERI   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took mine hunting in montana with Dave Windauer in 1996 at least 60 ft straight up,tough hunt physically!!
Posts: 1809 | From: Timmins, ontario Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©