JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Who's killed a cougar with trad gear? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Who's killed a cougar with trad gear?
Horne Shooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horne Shooter   Email Horne Shooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took one on the Colorado, Utah border a few years ago. He was probably 25 ft. up in a tree and (as said before) the hardest thing was that there were dogs barking and people getting in position and telling me "not yet, not yet". Anyway I (fortunately) made a good shot. It was a very exciting hunt!

--------------------
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Posts: 567 | From: Boerne, Texas | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grizz
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grizz   Author's Homepage   Email grizz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally managed to harvest a nice tom just last december. Get in shape, practice shooting uphill at a steep angle, and last, have patience!

--------------------
mike

Posts: 229 | From: Paonia, Colorado | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DGW
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DGW   Email DGW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shot one in Utah early 90s with a Bighorn recurve and one in Colorado with a Robertson longbow, The Colorado hunt was with Lyle Wilmarth 2002 and finished my big eight in Colorado, a personal goal.
Posts: 407 | From: Windom, Ks | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brianbfree
Contributor 2017
Member # 41764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brianbfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I jumped one last year while deer hunting crazy close he jumped across a creek bed and all I could say was Holy $h!t its a lion.

Brian

--------------------
DH Super Diablo 60#@28
DH Ventura 60#@28
BP Lord Mercury 40#@28
Golden Sovereign Knight 65#@28
BP Mercury Hunter 65#@28

Brian Beery

Posts: 115 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Frost
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 43292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Frost   Email Lady Frost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Posts: 411 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acolobowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acolobowhunter   Email acolobowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a nice tom after chasing them for 3 years. I got up on several smaller lions but just took photos. I held out for a bigger one. We put on MANY miles in deep snow throughout those years. Finally got a big tom, but he missed the book by 1/8". That was OK, just wanted to get a nice one. Had it mounted on a ledge, similar to the mouth of a cave. He is stretched out about to eat a grouse under his left paw, with feathers on his whiskers. Several other bones around him, like this is his place to rest and eat.
Posts: 541 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aim small...release
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aim small...release   Email aim small...release   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like an awsome mount! Do you have a picture of it?

--------------------
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Posts: 610 | From: michigan | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horne Shooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horne Shooter   Email Horne Shooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I killed one about 10 years ago with Randy Horne hunting with me. We were on the Colorado/Utah border (on the Colorado side). Really enjoyed the hunt. Hunting with dogs was interesting as they seem to enjoy it more than the hunters. Like everyone said, practice the shot because it's unlike most of the shots you normally take on game.

--------------------
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Posts: 567 | From: Boerne, Texas | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HornHunter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HornHunter   Email HornHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took one back in the early 90's
probably the tougest hunt I have ever been on
treed him twice bailed both times, chase went 10 hours, and traveled 10 miles,started off with 5 dogs and 7 people, I shot him backed out on a cliff ledge with two dogs (pups) and by my self just before dark
but he was a good one measured 8 foot from head to tail, skull qualified for B&C

-

--------------------
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Posts: 711 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Collins
Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Collins   Email Paul Collins       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure it makes sense to post something that is bound to be unpopular, but hunting cats with hounds is the one type of hunting where I am hesitant to use arrows. The dogs will get tied up before a shot with an arrow, but if the shot is bad, the cat will jump and the dogs will have to be cut loose. An arrow sticking out of a cat with hounds mobbing it is bad business. Your call, but I choose to leave the bow at home for this kind of hunting.
Posts: 91 | From: Billings, MT | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HornHunter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HornHunter   Email HornHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've never hunted lion

--------------------
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Posts: 711 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Collins
Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Collins   Email Paul Collins       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure have. And have a close friend who is a serious houndsman.
Posts: 91 | From: Billings, MT | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 26482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etter   Email Etter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even a very big cat is a very thin critter. I cant imagine any of my arrows not passing through a cat no matter where it was hit. I recently had an arrow pass through both scapulas of a black bear and sail on out across a valley. With a tree shark! I doubt a lion could be any worse.
Posts: 457 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 26482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etter   Email Etter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, if a cat gets to fight the dogs on the ground, the arrow is probably low on the list of concerns
Posts: 457 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©