Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Ground hunting black bear, shotgun backup?? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ground hunting black bear, shotgun backup??
oldbohntr
Contributor 2017
Member # 5733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldbohntr   Author's Homepage   Email oldbohntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. When I saw the topic, I thought-not at all necessary for the black bears I've seen or hunted-what are these guys thinking about? Now I know. Thanks for the insight.

--------------------
Tom

Posts: 1142 | From: Washington state | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uncle Buck   Email Uncle Buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
something to consider 00 buckshot .33 diameter 12 pellets per load ; #4 buckshot .25 diameter 27 pellets per load= absolutely devastating at close range
Posts: 581 | From: Canton Georgia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hatfield
Member # 30106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hatfield   Email Hatfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dixie slug co. has what they call Tri-Ball ammo for your 12ga. which consist of 3 320gr. heat treated balls. From their test it shows a 5 inch group out to 40 yards, should be a wicked up close and personel self defense round.
Posts: 1 | From: alaska | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracks
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracks   Email Tracks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic has been argued about for years and it will continue to be argued over for a long time to come... Just like arrow selection, everyone seems to have an opinion about what is best, but what really matters is, "Can you hit your target when and where it counts?"

I'm required to carry a 12 ga. or a .375 everyday of the summer for work. I like 1 3/8 ounce black magic slugs from the pump, but I prefer the rifle.

But I don't want to post anything about guns and bears without this warning:
While firearms definitely have their place in grizzly bear country, don't let the false security of a firearm change your behavior! It is easy to say, but hard to do. I constantly find myself moving with less purpose and being less observant when carrying a gun.

Not only that, but bears, and especially black bears, bluff (including bluff charge) a lot. Sure "shooting first and asking questions later" is usually the best way to go if a bear is within 10 yards and closing the distance, but avoiding the charge in the first place shows the most respect for the animal, for bowhunting, and for oneself.

That and don't be "bearanoid." If you are expecting to be charged, something is wrong with the way you view bears, or with the bear-human relationship in your hunting area.

The scenario painted by the original poster (bears regularly charging boats and people) suggests that the outfitter in the area is mismanaging his clients/guides and/or his waste/baiting stations. Frequent and regular bear attacks are not normal and are highly undesirable. I would find a new place to hunt because something is wrong at that camp.

Posts: 130 | From: 60 N, 145 W | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ammoeater
Member # 25491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ammoeater   Email ammoeater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Tracks.
Posts: 79 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBshooter2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBshooter2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with calgarychef. Take some 00 buck out and shoot it into some material, plywood or whatever you can find and watch what it is does it's deadly. If you have to shoot a bear it will be close and 00buck will certainly work. Just make sure you practice your shooting under pressure. Run in place or around in circles and get your heart rate up then pick up the gun and see what you can do, good luck.

--------------------
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Posts: 366 | From: IL | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
187BOWHUNTER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 187BOWHUNTER   Email 187BOWHUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So everyone is talking Canadian bears? or are all black bears that dangerous? We have black bears here in Cali but the guys Iv'e talked to that have run into them while deer hunting say they usually run away from you, but with my luck I would run into the bad mood bear!
Posts: 218 | From: Blacktail country | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
borderlander
Member # 19121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for borderlander   Email borderlander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one bad news bear on my land a few years ago. He was old, big (about six feet on his back legs), and he knew he was the baddest thing in the woods. He chased me, and neighbors, out of the woods numerous times. I saw my closest neighbor hit him with a load of buck at close range as the bear was walking towards his kids in their swimming pool. That bear started roaring n snarling, spinning n snapping like you wouldn't believe. For smaller bears I'm sure buck works. But with the big guys, I'd like to tote something that would be appropriate to hunt them with no exceptions.

--------------------
I shoot a little to the left no matter what I do. except of course for the ones that hit to the right or high. the ones that land in the dirt a foot in front of the target sometimes bug me.

Posts: 9 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geezer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geezer   Email Geezer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you have all the time in the world to pick your shot my favorite is still a heavy load slug. But, when conditions are dicey and speed is of the essence you probably won't go wrong with high energy buckshot. Several years ago, our agency began using low-velocity slugs and buckshot (the prevailing thought among LE at the time was to prevent wall pas-throughs to avoid hitting innocents in another room). Unfortunately, my 870 was loaded with that type of ammo when I had a true charge situation from a black bear. The one slug penetrated 2" while all the buckshot ended up under the hide. It was my partners 40 S&W that eventually killed the bear. I lodged a complaint with the Chief and we got rid of the low-vel junk. Take the meanest, hardest hitting ammo you can buy!

--------------------
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Posts: 323 | From: So. Colorado | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt eddie
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt eddie   Author's Homepage   Email capt eddie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An update on our bear hunt. The first night that we got to hunt, we picked differant stands because they had both been hit. Since this was my sons first chance to see a live bear. I suggested that he get in the stand to see what if feels like to have a beqar that closes. we were the first hunters of the year. So they had only scented the guides coming in and out. He is in the stand that is 8 foot high at the most. Barrel is 12 yards away. Two black bear come in. One goes to the barrel and starts to eat. The other bear come up to the stand bluff charging several times. It even puts a paw on the ladder. The whole time the other bear has his head inthe barrel. My son kicks and the bear and trys the run in off or at least get inaway from the stand for a shoot. Twice it ran past the eating bear but the bear paid no mind. Just went back to eatting. The bear finely stops eatting and offers a broadside. He made a perfect shot with a 53# recurve, carbon arrow with a snoffer. Bear traveled 50 yards. i on the other hand, was bluff charged every day I was in the stand. it was a young bear that knew that something was there, Everytime he would come within 10 feet of the stand. I was holding out for a color or something larger then my orther bears. Finely on the last night to hunt, the bear came in again. I decided to shoot it ths time. I was shooting a 60# longbow with a 160 grizzly. 600 grain arrow total. As I draw he took a step, He was so close that i was looking at the claws on his foot in awe of the details, And that is exactly where I hit.. Now the rest of the story. The first night that i was getting out of the boat, I had my bow strung in a case. I opened the case to retreive what I thought was a 74# Acadian Wood Treestick. It was there but A 4 piece takedown instead of a three piece. I just could not figure out how to REATTACH an Antler tip!!!!!. My son left me his bow while he and the guide motored back to camp and delivered my a set of 60# limbs to go on my riser. he guides have all noticed that the bears ar far more aggressive now then in years past. So we did not have to worry about shotgun choices.

--------------------
capt eddie

Posts: 466 | From: gibsland la | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SERGIO VENNERI
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SERGIO VENNERI   Email SERGIO VENNERI   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what Daz said.
Posts: 1809 | From: Timmins, ontario Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThecoyoteslayerMA
Member # 36623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThecoyoteslayerMA   Email ThecoyoteslayerMA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This won't answer your question,but for me the point of hunting dangerous game is danger in it,a good reason I got into traditional hunting is the fact that it evens the fields up a little. So they can take you as easily as you took it. This is just MY opinion and doesnt apply to a lot of peaple,I don't have a wife/ kids to worry about.
Posts: 10 | From: MA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KodiakMag
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 25134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KodiakMag   Email KodiakMag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a backup 12 ga with alternating 000 buck and heavy slugs (think 3 1/2" chamber) also the .460 Rowland is a viable sidearm in those locations.

ALso, congrats to your son! Sounds like a great time that you had together.

--------------------
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Posts: 317 | From: Indiana | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Man2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Iron Man2   Email Iron Man2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen this type of question all over the internet, at hunting camps, and at the range. All I can add is that it comes down to a choice. Whether to pack additional heat as a side arm for a traditional (-list). My answer is simple, how pure do you want your experience to be? I equate this to the those that say wooden arrows vs carbon? For me, the main reason I am embarking into Trad Archery is for the experience. And if I chose to hunt for dangerous game with traditional gear, then, sobeit. It has made me a better hunter and the experience that more fulfilling. And just in case anyone was thinking, yes I have hunted in dangerous country with both archery and firearms. And have stalked many bears and killed two on the ground after a very fulfilling experience. Not that killing one treed or from a stand is any less for some. [archer2]

--------------------
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Posts: 163 | From: Maine | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt eddie
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt eddie   Author's Homepage   Email capt eddie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disclaimer:::
The removeable antler it is not the fault of Tim Mullins the Bowyer. I bought the limbs second hand and I had replaced the tip after it coming off a year before. Tim did rework the limbs and replace the tip with my Amazon wood at no charge to me. And for that I do thank Tim for his time and effort.

--------------------
capt eddie

Posts: 466 | From: gibsland la | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©