Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » calling wolves? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: calling wolves?
team fudd
Contributor 2015
Member # 29693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for team fudd   Author's Homepage   Email team fudd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Headed to alberta end of may for big black bear, there are a lot of wolves in the area and every year some of the outfitters hunters have an opportunity to kill one. I would like to increase the odds if possible by calling one in. Does anyone have any experience with this? any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have called in some coyotes with limited success but never tried for the big bad wolf! Thanks!
Posts: 367 | From: dennison ohio | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canadian Idle
Contributor 2015
Member # 19689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canadian Idle   Author's Homepage   Email Canadian Idle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Matt, good luck with your bear hunt. As far as the wolves go, try doing a calf moose call and even a cow moose call but you have play the wind and be very still and aware because they are crafty preditors. The calf call will help in your bear hunt as well, they prey alot on new calfs. Good luck,...Lloyd
Posts: 942 | From: Ontario, Canada ( Michigan ) | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rik
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rik   Email Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unfortunately, I have called in Canadian wolves transplanted here in Idaho by using elk calls. They come in quickly to bugles or cow calling. If there are elk in the area of Alberta you will be hunting, the wolves will likely be quite interested in cow calls this near to the time the elk will be dropping their calves.
Posts: 607 | From: Horseshoe Bend, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason1040
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jason1040   Author's Homepage   Email jason1040   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Rik, it looks like we will be able to put those cow calls to good use this year - Idaho wolf tags are on sale for 2011!

--------------------
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Posts: 104 | From: Blackfoot, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zwickeyman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zwickeyman   Email zwickeyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would use Coyote Howls or the sounds of Hounds at bay. Wolves will come quickly to remove competition. Probably not as good with archery gear as it would be with guns though. Any distress call will work as it does for Yotes.
Posts: 603 | From: washington | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calgarychef
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calgarychef   Email calgarychef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really think that some animals are best hunted with guns, wolves being one of them. They are so difficult to get even with a gun and once called in they have been educated for life. On the other hand wouldn't it be cool to tell the grandchildren that grampa shot a wolf with his bow?
Posts: 1254 | From: canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bosco
Member # 9953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bosco   Email Bosco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would howl like a wolf. I would expect a territorial wolf to come in silent and downwind after 30-45 minutes of calling. This would mean you would need open country on your downwind side if you hoped for a shot. Good luck!
Posts: 29 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barkrider
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barkrider   Email barkrider   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had them dip and dive around me while ground hunting.... The walk back in the dark is.... Well... A test of faith.

Good luck

--------------------
Family,family,family mmmm... and bows

Posts: 136 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NormanDale33
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NormanDale33   Email NormanDale33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys have stones that can call in a bear or wolf on an evening hunt. The thought of that blows my mind, guess I am a weenie:)

--------------------
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Posts: 384 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looper
Contributor 2017
Member # 10521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looper   Email Looper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called one up once using a rabbit distress call. I was on a moose/black bear hunt in Southeast Alaska and saw a big wolf cross a the river about 300 yards from me. I blew the call right after he crossed and was shaking himself off. He came right toward me, but caught my wind at about 75 yards. I never did get a shot at him (I was rifle hunting).

Two days later, that same wolf came up behind my hunting partner, who had been blowing a cow call. I was about 50 yards upwind of my buddy and saw the wolf come to about 40-50 yards from him. It saw him moving around, made a 180, and vanished. My buddy never knew it was around.

Posts: 1654 | From: Dacusville, SC | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thumper Dunker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thumper Dunker   Email Thumper Dunker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love to call in a wolf . Distres calls should work.Bet coyote death screams would work real good. Im starting to drool now.

--------------------
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Posts: 3975 | From: Modesto California | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shedrock
Contributor 2013
Member # 14750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shedrock   Email Shedrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coyote howls work well as well as pup distress in the spring.

--------------------
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Posts: 2439 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chinook907
Contributor 2017
Member # 14488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chinook907   Email chinook907   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had them come in to a rabbit in distress call, but no shooting. As a side note, their hides likely won't look very good at the end of May, they don't here at that time and Alberta is quite aways further south.

--------------------
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Posts: 906 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Precurve
Contributor 2016
Member # 6597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Precurve   Email Precurve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Wisconsin you just have to go for a walk in their neighborhood. They'll be tagging you about 200 yards back, maybe closer depending on the wolf.

Dave

Posts: 464 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hummer3T
Contributor 2015
Member # 34873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hummer3T   Email Hummer3T   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To theories:
Calling: Calling to sound like prey or foe

1)Coyote howls and whimpers, wolves are very aggressive against coyotes and these may work.
2.) I have had wolves come to elk calls, deer calls and deer rattling. I'm sure other typical prey noises might work.

The other theory would be that I would not make any noise, wolves are secretive and inquisitive and might check out a bait or come through an area being undisturbed, but if noises are made that they might associate with man activities or smell, wrong time of year or etc. they might head for the hills. You might also deter from your bear hunt by calling, etc.

--------------------
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62'/54lbs@28
Chek-mate hunter I 60'/49&42lbs@28
Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Posts: 1255 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©