Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » calling wolves? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: calling wolves?
carpsniperg2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carpsniperg2   Email carpsniperg2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are looking for some game calls I have a friend that is making some howlers. I use his yote howlers and have had great luck with them. Send me a message if you would like some info. Good luck to you! I hope you get a bear and wolf!

--------------------
Stalker Custom Rebel 47#
Black widow PSAX 51#
Blacktail Stalker 51#
Zipper Extreme 54#
Browning Fury 60#

Posts: 104 | From: WA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
187BOWHUNTER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 187BOWHUNTER   Email 187BOWHUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck! maybe you will get both
Posts: 218 | From: Blacktail country | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
borderlander
Member # 19121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for borderlander   Email borderlander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Wisconsin and if I want to find wolves in my area, all I have to do is give a wolf howl at dawn or dusk. Just gotta be careful cuz the wolves are gonna be wondering who's trespassing on their turf! Never had a bad run in, but hearing a whole scad of wolves howl in a circle around me at last light was um' well, interesting.

--------------------
I shoot a little to the left no matter what I do. except of course for the ones that hit to the right or high. the ones that land in the dirt a foot in front of the target sometimes bug me.

Posts: 9 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
team fudd
Contributor 2015
Member # 29693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for team fudd   Author's Homepage   Email team fudd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread seems to stay alive, I hunted this time last year, ended up killing a great cinnamon bear. We did see some smoking fresh wolf tracks while we were there (as in when we walked in no tracks, walked out an hour later and there was tracks) but never saw a wolf. The outfitter wants me to start guiding for him now so I may get a chance at a wolf yet. Thanks everyone for their replies [thumbsup]
Posts: 367 | From: dennison ohio | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen273
Contributor 2017
Member # 24602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gen273   Email Gen273   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]

--------------------
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Posts: 3890 | From: KY | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pruiter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pruiter   Email pruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread

As a guide in wolf country, I had the chance to call many Wolves. sadly never to my bow.
I feel the sound is not as important as setup. here are some tips I've used that have worked for me
- never walk on the path you believe the wolf may come into your call on
- try to setup with your call down wind or cross wind from you.
- Best place to call is a frozen river or stream, setting up on a high bank over looking river or stream
- wolves can come in very slowly. give yourself a hour on each set.
- In late winter, wolves like to sun in midday, look to call sunny hill sides away from where u might have a bait.
- wolves like to return to old kills, look to call near old kill sites
- most wolf kills are on lakes . rivers and ponds
-setup in log jams on frozen rivers. wolves have no fear of open spaces, they will travel the edge of rivers.
- when drifting rivers moose hunting in september, don't be surprised to have wolves answer your moose call. I find the best call to use is a pup in distress when this happens
- wolves travel many miles in a day. In my years of trapping. found wolves to travel my line ever 3 weeks or so
- howling has been my best locater of wolves, pup in distress has called the most wolves for me, depending the time of year. there no baby moose in winter months. any sound that fits the habitat of where you are will do

hope this help
paul

--------------------
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor longbow 71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Posts: 147 | From: canada | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimB
Contributor 2017
Member # 17284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimB   Email JimB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those that haven't heard,Montana made some recent changes to their wolf hunting laws.First,electronic callers are now legal.A hunter can now buy up to 3 wolf tags.It used to be if the wolf license was purchased in season,you had to wait 5 days to use.That has been changed to 24 hrs.Also,the non-resident fee has dropped from $350 to $50.You have to look at specific units for dates,but generally,if bow season is in,you can shoot a wolf,with archery gear if you have a valid license.
Posts: 3830 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©