Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Heavy bone threshold works on hog shield? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Heavy bone threshold works on hog shield?
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce....I've killed 4 like that. And even a shielded sow like that. That was the whole reason I even took that pic is because I had already experience it and wanted to show it through another example, other than the video clip, with pictures.

The hog in the clip is a different hog that shows how far back it can go also. The hog in the pic is not an exception or isolated incident in my experience.

No, this is not on every boar hog to this extent, nor thickness....depends on size and genetics I guess....but from what I've experienced, that pic is not an exception. And folks should know what they can be up against and be prepared.

I know another guy from Cali that told me he'd never seen a shield like that one in the clip and he's killed a bunch of cali hogs....maybe ya'lls are little more recessive in the shield department. Heck if I know.

Again, the saying ....'Just shoot them quartering away so you'll miss the shield" is not always a true statement. That's all I'm saying.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & Loop Addictions (COMING TODAY !!!!!!!)

Posts: 30571 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beendare
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beendare   Email beendare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you. Seems to me that around here the shield stops at the end of the rib cage or thereabouts. And no doubt hog species can vary a bit. Most of my hogs have been here in north and central Ca.

I have shot a few on the Hawaiian islands and its a much different animal [Tahitian hog, I think]. You would rarely/never see an 70# hog with 2" teeth in Ca but on the islands its common.

I have killed a few hogs with a shield that was more than 1 1/2" thick at the shoulders. These were older and wiser hogs- you could tell by the shredded ears [or no ears at all!]Those hogs were almost impossible to catch with dogs. Many of those shielded hogs had sparse hair growing in that area- an indication of what lies below the surface.

--------------------
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Posts: 287 | From: Alamo,Ca | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beendare....yeah....about the back of the rib cage...that yellow drawing might be a bit off as I had to use 'paint' to draw it. I cut that hog about 2 inches from the back of the rib cage...and that's where the others I shot like that ended.

There's a nice soft gap between the ribcage/shield end and the ham....I'm sure that's designed for the ham coming forward....just like that soft spot gap right behind the elbow for rearward movement.

Here's another view of the same thing different hog...Note the how visible and thick this shield is from the OUTSIDE....and how far back it went...

-

-

--------------------

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 30571 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beendare
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beendare   Email beendare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a great picture of one of those big hogs with a shield.

The shoulder seems to bulge out a bit more and the hair over the shield portion is real sparse....gives a guy an indication of what he's up against.

And also gives you a clue that it may not be the best eating hog.....

--------------------
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Posts: 287 | From: Alamo,Ca | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

On boars that big....you never know till you either wind them before hand or if they stink after you kill them.

If they aren't rank.....the make a LOT of sausage.....and in several flavors....YUMMMM!!!!

--------------------

MikeW
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeW   Author's Homepage   Email MikeW       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I believe the heavy bone threshold is actually 650 grains. I even recieved a pm from the Doc stating that the evidence is so overwhelming (to him) that personally he won't hunt with any arrow under 650 grains. His most recent studies are showing promising results with arrows slightly below this threshold but with FOC % above 30.
Am sorry but that's just nonsense, it's only physics. Shoot a 650 grain arrow out of a 40# bow and then a 70# bow and tell me which one penetrates better. It's doesn't even matter about bow weight it's about FPS and how much the arrow weighs...period!

The last hog I shot, guessing weighed 140-165#'s I missed the sweet spot and hit directly in the shield with a 560 grain arrow out of a 55# bow with a W.W and got 3" of penetration out the other side. Sorry but can't give a FPS on that arrow but guessing from data from other testing I said 180-185 fps. I don't have the experience some folks have on here with hogs but I've shot a few and seen more shot. I pulled a .243 bullet out of one that only went about 3" into the shield one time..a bow with a sharp broadhead is a more lethal weapon than a gun unless you are shooting like a 300 Win. mag or something.

What ever, hit em low and with something sharp and 9-11 GPP and you will bring home the bacon. It's not rocket science.

--------------------
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Posts: 1823 | From: Escondido,CA. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesKerr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesKerr   Email JamesKerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I don't worry to much about the bone breaking threshold arrows of 650 grains as none of the game species on this continent have heavy bone around the vitals unless you hit the actual front leg bones. I shoot a 620 grain arrow tipped with a 175 grain VPA terminator from a 55 pound bow. I am getting around 170 fps with this setup. Unless you make a really bad shot this setup will go any animal on this continent just fine.

P.S. remember not many of us are actually hunting cape or asiatic water buffaloes. [dunno]

--------------------
James Kerr

Posts: 3694 | From: LA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friends and I just completed our tenth annual hog hunting trip in Florida and every one of the big boars we have shot the shield has extended way back like Terrys picture shows.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1563 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JDunlap
Contributor 2015
Member # 28003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDunlap   Email JDunlap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just shot a big sow on jan 15 at 18 to 20 tds. My first shot at a pig, and boy did I get schooled. Thought it was a great shot and had pork coming to the freezer. Tracked for 2 hours before I lost the blood trail. After looking at my broken arrow found that I only got about 9 inches penetratjon. 55 pound recurve and 550 grain arrow. It was apparently a one lung shot and she probably had a shield. Next time I will aim lower and quickly shoot a second arrow...

--------------------
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 56@28
RER LX LB 60@28 and 53@28

Posts: 558 | From: Glenpool, Ok | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Mitchell
Contributor 2017
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Mitchell   Email David Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two shielded boars this year weighed 175 and 165#. Both shot through the shield--one at point blank range and the other at 18 yards with a 50#@28 Treadway Black Swamp longbow, 525 grain (total weight) GT Traditional with 175 grains up front--two blade Zwickey Delta on a 100 grn BH adapter. Funny thing was, I wasn't even thinking "shield" when I shot--center mass above the front leg and the closest one went down on the spot, the other went maybe 50 yards before piling up. Did not exit but blood was pouring out.
Posts: 4082 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
187BOWHUNTER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 187BOWHUNTER   Email 187BOWHUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goin for pigs in a cpl weeks with my 50#er, GT 5575 and 215g bh
Posts: 218 | From: Blacktail country | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowfanatik
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 39575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowfanatik   Email bowfanatik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Posts: 405 | From: Serbia | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©