Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » minimum draw weight for black bears? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: minimum draw weight for black bears?
bayhunter
CADET MEMBER
Member # 34419

Icon 5 posted      Profile for bayhunter   Email bayhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what would you recommend as the minimum draw weight for hunting black bears? Thanks in advance
Posts: 299 | From: CA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch H
Contributor 2013
Member # 30745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mitch H   Author's Homepage   Email Mitch H   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 2010 black bear took 25" of arrow from a recurve I draw to 48lb.

My buddy killed a really nice black bear on the same trip with a recurve he draws to 40lb.

Both bear were taken with a 125 grain 2-blade head.

--------------------
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
Wes Wallace Mentor
Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" Hybrid Longbow

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Posts: 196 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Potoo
Member # 19955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Potoo   Email Potoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an old black and white film which showed Fred Bear shooting an arrow 'through' a black bear in brush with a 40 lb. recurve. Me...I'd want at least 50lbs. 60 better!

--------------------
Like it says on the can...'concentrate'

Posts: 31 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AKCrazyhorse
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AKCrazyhorse   Email AKCrazyhorse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50 will do it with ooomph to spare.
Posts: 204 | From: Fairbanks Alaska | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipper bowss
SPONSOR
Member # 15052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipper bowss   Author's Homepage   Email zipper bowss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this video Tracy was shooting 40#@25".Although if you can shoot more accurately, I would.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEbxXTw2pRs&feature=player_embedded

--------------------
www.zipperbows.com
www.grizzlybroadheads.com
TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Posts: 2810 | From: P.O. Box 275 Mt. Orab, OH 45154 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traxx
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traxx   Email Traxx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The minimum,thats legal in the state you hunt.

--------------------
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Posts: 1360 | From: Reno Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traxx
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traxx   Email Traxx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to add,that Larry Hatfield has taken numerous Bear,with a 40 lb bow.

--------------------
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Posts: 1360 | From: Reno Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calgarychef
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calgarychef   Email calgarychef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda depends on the size of bear you're shooting at! Bears have thin skin and small ribs so you don't have much to worry about. They have sharp teeth and claws though.
Posts: 958 | From: canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thebear_78
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thebear_78   Email Thebear_78   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most places have minimum weight requirements of 45 pounds. Any bow that will take a whitetail will take a blackbear.
Posts: 246 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevgsp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevgsp   Email kevgsp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ontario, min is 48.5# AT or BEFORE 27.5" of draw.
Posts: 249 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragnarok Forge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragnarok Forge   Email Ragnarok Forge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
40 will do the job. Shoot the heaviest weight bow you can shoot straight. Accuracy is a lot more important than bow weight. If you going after Grizzly I would up to at least 50 lbs and preferably 60.

--------------------
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone. It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 3246 | From: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trad-Man
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trad-Man   Email Trad-Man       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can comfortably kill any north american big game animal with 55 pounds.
Posts: 283 | From: Illinois | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesKerr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesKerr   Email JamesKerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trad-Man:
You can comfortably kill any north american big game animal with 55 pounds.

I agree I shoot a 55 pound Tomahawk longbow with a 620 grain arrow that is tipped with a VPA Terminator 175 grain flying at 170 fps. You can't tell me this won't shoot through any animal on this continent.

--------------------
James Kerr

Posts: 3574 | From: LA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coaster500
Contributor 2014
Member # 19836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coaster500   Email coaster500   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
60" Big Jim Buffalo Bow 43@27... pass thru 29 paces...

-

--------------------
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Posts: 4757 | From: San Luis Obispo, California | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
Contributor 2014
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coaster500...At what moment, did the ole booger bear enlighten you that your set-up was too light?

Whatever your set-up happens to be, you must command realistic confidence.

Great work!!!

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 4802 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©