Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Chasing Florida bacon! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Chasing Florida bacon!
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwin   Email Arwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coming to Florida hell or highwater!! [Big Grin]

Been looking at guide services which aren't that badly priced. DIY would be my preference but I'm looking at limited time since my wonderful wife will be traveling along and I have to make time for her too. [Wink]

The guide services say the hogs are free range, which is important to me. I really want a wild hog. Michigan has game ranches but I want something that I can display and know it was roaming free on Gods creation.

So I'm going in COMPLETELY blind. [help] and thanks! [wavey]

--------------------
Just one more step.....please!

Michigan Longbow Association

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Posts: 4272 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bawana bowman
SPONSOR
Member # 16986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bawana bowman   Author's Homepage   Email bawana bowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM sent.

Hal

--------------------
Caney Creek Outfitters

>>-IBEP Instructor->
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular, since 1988
Husband, Father, Grandfather

Posts: 1400 | From: Cocoa, Florida | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hit-or-Miss
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hit-or-Miss   Email Hit-or-Miss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Archery Outfitters. 1246 acre farmland (mixture of swamp, thicket, pasture, woods), (Archery ONLY, no guns or dogs, 1 hunt per month), loaded with WILD hogs, not fenced in "pigs". Fair price, great guides and Nickie Roth is an old school bowhunter, a great guy to talk to. I was there in September and got a nice hog with my 50# 1968 Kodiak Hunter. It was HOT, but I had a blast.
PS; you won't get much bacon... wild hogs are very lean, but the roast pork is to die for! It was well worth my long drive down from Maine to Florida. There are some BIG hogs down there, but the smaller ones taste better, more tender, same as deer. Stalk or feeder stand (12-20 yards...MAX), your choice.

Posts: 702 | From: Maine | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwin   Email Arwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pm returned Hal, thanks! [Smile]

Thanks for the info Chris, I took a peek at their site. [archer]

Now the wife is getting into the trip, thank God!! I assured her we will spend some quality time aside from hog hunting. [Wink] 2-3 days on pigs and 4 days sight seeing. [thumbsup]

--------------------

Posts: 4272 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

SWEET!!! Looks like I will be joining bawana bowman and Chad Holm for some hunting in March!!
Woo HOO!!! [jumper] [Not Worthy]

--------------------

tarponnut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM sent
Posts: 2472 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

What do you guys recommend for clothing in March down there and what boots?

--------------------

justracey
SPONSOR
Member # 19252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justracey   Author's Homepage   Email justracey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arwin you should test our new Hog Estrous Scent Web that we are carring from A-Way

--------------------
Just get outside and blow the stink off of ya

http://www.stjoeriverbows.com/
http://stjoeriverbows.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Posts: 229 | From: Bronson, Mi. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

quote:
Originally posted by justracey:
Arwin you should test our new Hog Estrous Scent Web that we are carring from A-Way

[thumbsup]

I'll dab a little behind the ears!! [biglaugh] Would love to try it and see what happens. [Wink]

--------------------

Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you take a look at the shot placement thread so you no where to shoot the hogs. It is at the top of this section. Good luck, i'm sure you will have a blast.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1564 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Thanks!! I noticed it might be better to hit them a little higher than a deer. [Wink]

Can't decide between 2 blade or 3. Either it's gong to be Magnus 2's or Wensel Woodsmans.

Never killed a hog with a 3 blade. I've shot a couple at game ranches with a 2 blade and they go down pretty quick.

--------------------

tarponnut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely rubber boots(to stay dry and scent control). The temps can vary greatly but the average historically is 79 for the high and 56 for the low.
Darb colored clothes, camo(I like ASAT), or plaid.
I shot clean through a 100# hog yesterday with a two blade Simmons shark and 46# Check-mate recurve.
I've seen some amazing blood trails with 3 blade heads ,though.

Posts: 2472 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

I'll pick up some black rubber boots from Wally World and stick some Dr. Scholls gel soles in. [thumbsup] All I have here are 1000 grams, a little toasty. [Big Grin]

Rockin' the Predator Spring Green. I used ASAT for many years, killed alot of critters with it. [Wink]

Still hung up on heads. I love the big holes of a 3 blade but a 2 blade zips right through them. 3 blade has always been luckier for me, seems most of my biggest deer were taken with 3 blades.

Congrats on the hog!!!! 100# hogs sound perfect for eating. [campfire] I think my set up will be adequate for the hogs. Shooting a 56# St. Joe longbow and 125 grain heads. Torn between 2117's and weighted carbons. I've been playing with aluminum lately and miss it.

I do in fact know the first one that gets close enough will be accosted! [goldtooth]

--------------------

Birdbow
Contributor 2014
Member # 21586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birdbow   Email Birdbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunting with Nickie for the first time for the March hunt too. Look forward to meeting you guys there! Todd
Posts: 618 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9248

Great! [thumbsup]

It's not that far away from now, been shooting a ton and talking with guys who have been down there. SO cannot wait!!!!!!! [campfire]

Decided to camp over one of the nights, i must have a campfire story to come back with. [Cool]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©