Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » baldwin mi bear hunt (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: baldwin mi bear hunt
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weather looks good for the week. Hopefully the activity will settle down in the woods and you'll get your opportunity. Good luck!

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4318 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oifvet
Member # 39838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oifvet   Email oifvet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I arrwed my first Michigan black bear as night. I heard the death moan in everythng. But my blood trail wasnt the greatest and It got dark so I backed out after forty yds. Going bout 9 this morning to retive him [Smile] ) good luck to the rest you hunting!!!!! Ill post when I get my hands on him!

--------------------
Dnt pass up on the first day that you wont on the last

Posts: 12 | From: lake odessa michigan | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to see the pictures and hear the story. One tip I got from old timer Ron LaClair about blood trailing/tracking. Always take a compass reading from the stand to the last place you saw the animal (or in this case the death moan). After dark, you can always take that line to find the animal or start your blood trail.

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4318 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kstout
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kstout   Email kstout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! Looking forward to pictures.
Posts: 112 | From: big rapids, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oifvet
Member # 39838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oifvet   Email oifvet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found my bear yesterday weighing just over 300 lbs. He ran under 50 yrds [Smile] I couldnt be happier pics to follow soon!

--------------------
Dnt pass up on the first day that you wont on the last

Posts: 12 | From: lake odessa michigan | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Member # 35

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

killinstuff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killinstuff   Email killinstuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done.

--------------------
lll

Posts: 1364 | From: Traverse City Michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kstout
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kstout   Email kstout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!!
Posts: 112 | From: big rapids, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kstout
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19566

The sun has set on the last day of my Baldwin bear hunt, with no bear for me. Had a great hunt, with big bear at the bait several times. Each time they seemed to keep their head, or rear end to me. Drew my bow several times, but each time the bear turned before I could get a shot off. I had about a 300 pounder walk directly to my tree, put his feet up on the ladder, and shake the tree. Also had 2 bears fighting about 30 yards from the bait, so plenty of excitement.
Ray Lyon
Member # 35

kstout,
Sounds like you did have a lot of excitement. Hopefully oifvet will find those pictures before long. [Wink]

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

hockey7
Contributor 2014
Member # 5529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hockey7   Email hockey7   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you guys hunting anywhere around the Pere Marquette or Betsie rivers, where I go salmon and steelhead fishing?
Posts: 400 | From: WINDSOR ONTARIO | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kstout
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19566

I had one of my baits near the headwaters of the South Branch of the Pere Marquette river.
gvdocholiday
2017 Contributor
Member # 14784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gvdocholiday   Author's Homepage   Email gvdocholiday   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the Lead Ranger at Tippy Dam State Recreation area...in between those two fine rivers. Salmon are in THIIIIIICK.

You've heard the expression tacked like cordwood...well, they really are.

My FIL drew a bear tag for the Baldwin unit and killed one in 2008. My wife will draw next year. I only have one point...I opted to put all of my luck into the elk draw which I did last summer/fall and was successful.

I get bear picks on my trail cams all over that region(100% public land hunter).

--------------------
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Posts: 646 | From: Back home in Brethren, MI | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Folts
Contributor 2017
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Folts   Email T Folts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ill be just west of Baldwin next weekend for some hunting fishing off the PM.

--------------------
US ARMY 1984-1988

Posts: 2306 | From: Fowlerville,MI | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many preference points are needed to get a tag up there ? Sounds like fun. I have a camp in Delta county, just west of Escanaba.

ChuckC

Posts: 7242 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©