Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Gator bow poundage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gator bow poundage
HwgHnter
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HwgHnter   Email HwgHnter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking to buy a bow for gator hunting and was wondering if 45# would be heavy enough?
Posts: 10 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenH   Author's Homepage   Email KenH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the minimum draw weight for Florida bowhunting is 35#. I suspect a 45-50# bow -- with the right kind of armor-piercing broadhead -- would work for a side shot, but not a top of the head shot where the armor is much heavier...

--------------------
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Posts: 623 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benjy
Contributor 2015
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benjy   Author's Homepage   Email Benjy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that shot placement is key. The object is to have enough penetration to get the barbs through the skin. Stay away from the back plate!

Here is the story on my daughters gator she shot last month.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=132002;p=1

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Posts: 2256 | From: Irmo, SC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©