Topic Closed  Topic Closed
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED TO PowWow.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Advise please - DIY hogs

Author Topic: Advise please - DIY hogs
talkingcabbage
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talkingcabbage   Author's Homepage   Email talkingcabbage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this over in pow-wow also.

Hey guys. Me and a buddy are wanting to do a diy hog hunt this fall and have no idea where to start. We both have families, so it has to be as inexpensive as possible. We're planning on primitive camping (tents, fire, no electric) at least 5 days and spot-n-stalk hunting. We're from Southern Iowa, so drive and gas will be a factor. It doesn't matter to me if we're on public or private land, but we'd really like to connect with a hog.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to be looking? Maybe a favorite piece of ground or area that is thick enough with hogs that a couple Iowa boys could make it work? Maybe a private area that we could get permission to hunt on? I'm not opposed to paying to hunt private land, but it needs to be within reason for us. We both have wife and kids at home that we need to care for too!

Thanks in advance for some suggestions!

--------------------
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Posts: 786 | From: Ottumwa, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brett Leinmiller
Member # 42179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brett Leinmiller   Email Brett Leinmiller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you found anything Joe? I'm from Kansas and trying to do the same thing. I'm told Oklahoma, a short drive for me, has public land hogs. I'm also told that without hunting a highly populated area over a feeder, or hunting behind dogs, a hunter doesn't have much chance. This would be particularly tough for a bowhunter.
Posts: 50 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dringge
Contributor 2016
Member # 44842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dringge   Email dringge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another Iowan here that would love to connect on hogs on a DIY hunt.
Im new to the forum but been a bowhunter for many years.

--------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 178 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch Edwards
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mitch Edwards   Author's Homepage   Email Mitch Edwards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Missouri guy here that has also wanted to go after some hogs for many years. Would love to get on some hogs in a free range spot and stalk environment. As much as everyone seems to hate them they don't hate them enough to let people shoot them for free from what I've seen
Posts: 154 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you could head south, a lot of guys could help you out.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4740 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampcrawler
Member # 39362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampcrawler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously I'm a little late here, and it would be about a 13 hour drive, but the Pearl River wildlife management area here in southern Louisiana is quite densely populated with piggies.

There is a "camping area" which is just an open area with a water faucet and portapotties. But it's right by a boat launch, swamp tour place, and a little area where the game wardens stash their equipment so it certainly doesn't have that wilderness feel.

Posts: 33 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to the POWWOW

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30671 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©