Dangerous Game

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Dangerous Game » Black Bear Hunt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black Bear Hunt
Phillip Fields
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Fields   Email Phillip Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recent events have convinced me that I might as well go ahead and plan a black bear hunt. So far, the only things I have decided on, is that it will be in Maine and will be with a longbow. Now, before you go telling me there are better places (i.e. Canada), let me explain my reasons. As a kid (over half a century ago) I read lots and lots about the great North Woods, and the Maine guides. Finally, 2 years ago, my wife and I made our first trip to New England and absolutely loved Maine, the Great North Woods mystique was still there. Maybe it's an attempt to recapture childhood dreams but I have definitely decided my first black bear hunt will be in Maine. I have come close to getting shots at black bear, but that was on deer hunts down in NC, and in Alaska on caribou hunts. Any input/recommendations will be appreciated.

--------------------
Keep em Sharp!

Posts: 330 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robhunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 20427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robhunter   Email robhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phil, My cousin and I went on the Black Widow bear hunt with Squapan Mountain Outfitters. Tony and his crew were top notch. Check them out. Robert
Posts: 256 | From: McDonough,Ga. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brock
Contributor 2017
Member # 7061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brock   Email Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you will love it... i went with rock ridge outfitters in carrot river sask this year...great guide...facilities and beautiful properties he hunts. He is a trad hunter as well so the stands are not nose bleed heights and are all within 18 yds for most part...some closer. Got me a very nice bear with him this year.

--------------------
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Posts: 1739 | From: Charleston, South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobaru   Email Bobaru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been twice. You won't regret it. Good luck. I went to Black Brook Cove Guide Service in NW Maine - the Rangley District. But, while Jeff is a super guy, he's hard to get on the phone.

We found him by calling to Rangley. The big advantage of Jeff's place is that he has a camp ground also. So, if you have a camper, or want to tent camp, you can save yourself some money.

--------------------
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Posts: 400 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Fields
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Fields   Email Phillip Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got my bear hunt booked. I'm taking my brother with me and we're going with Squapan Mountain Outfitters.

--------------------
Keep em Sharp!

Posts: 330 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris K.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris K.   Author's Homepage   Email chris K.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish you lots of luck but in return you better wish me lots of luck in September when I go on mine!
Posts: 742 | From: rockville,in. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Fields
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9937

Chris, wishing you the very best of luck on your Sept hunt.

--------------------
Keep em Sharp!

BAPilot2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAPilot2   Email BAPilot2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phil,

I went on my first bear hunt this past September 2016. My hunt was based out of Lee, Maine. It's beautiful country and I greatly enjoyed the experience. I wish I could say I got a bear but alas it wasn't meant to be. But hey, that's why it's called hunting and not killing!

Enjoy the adventure and best of luck.
Andrew

Posts: 125 | From: DFW, Texas | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©