JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Knife sharpening. A few hints, tips & tricks (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Knife sharpening. A few hints, tips & tricks
JMartin
Contributor 2015
Member # 14580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMartin   Email JMartin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some great information, and some super tips your post, thanks for taking the time to share them with us!
Posts: 655 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHuntingFool
Contributor 2008
Member # 14899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHuntingFool   Email BowHuntingFool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome, this is a great thread! Thanks Rob!

--------------------
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Ojibwa Bowhunters

Posts: 3578 | From: S.E.Wisconsin/N.Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ssamac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ssamac   Email Ssamac       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding post and thank you very much. You're "Kit" is an awesome suggestion

sam

Posts: 1374 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 12229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boxbow   Email Boxbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used your tips and it is the first time I ever had razor sharp knives.
Thank you

Posts: 262 | From: Indiana | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy spear
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troy spear   Email Troy spear   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank's !!! There are some really helpful hint's in that Post !!
Posts: 264 | From: Riverton Ut | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry m
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry m   Email Larry m   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just now working an edge on an old Case xx and a Western hunting knife. The toothpaste leather strap is just what I need to finish up. Thanks for the info!!
Posts: 1150 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BDann
Contributor 2017
Member # 9875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BDann   Email BDann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used this technique before on carving chisels and it works great. I used some thick glass, and Elmer's spray adhesive to glue the sandpaper down.
Posts: 1165 | From: Kingwood, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meathook 1
Contributor 2017
Member # 21694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meathook 1   Email Meathook 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Job,really apreciate the tie you spent.

Thanks T

Posts: 407 | From: illinois | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hova
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 25148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hova   Author's Homepage   Email hova   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice post. i do it a little differently , but i also usually use a straight razor , so this is a lot of the opposite of what i do. nothing really matters other than saying to use the blade edge as the leading edge. ie : cutting the top atom off the paper. most people will gouge both the paper/stone and the knife trying to do this.

the only thing i do differently , is i pull a burr up , then cut into a soft piece of basswood very lightly to remove the burr. after that i strop with an actual strop (just because i have one for shaving , the belt works great too).then use the canvas side of the strop.

i also dont use a steel , but thats one of those preference things. ive gotten great deals on "unsharpenable" knives from people who own steels...

also read up on what are the best angles for what you want. yes , that draw knife might be shaving sharp , but the angle would slice into your throat if you tried shaving with it...

my main tip is if you dont let your knife get dull , you wont have to spend half an hour sharpening it. touch it up when youre done using it , strop it , and clean it good before putting it away , and youll always have it.

-hov

--------------------
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Posts: 1351 | From: Youngstown Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickhead
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickhead   Author's Homepage   Email stickhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the very helpful info
Posts: 187 | From: moncure north carolina | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chanumpa
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chanumpa   Email chanumpa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellant,informative and really nicely put together.Great Job and thanks
Posts: 1139 | From: Bend,Or. | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sayerbefiddlin
Member # 21383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sayerbefiddlin   Email sayerbefiddlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of the all time best posts Ive seen on sharpening! Wow! the disciplines and values of the traditional bowhunter are incredible!
Posts: 22 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LONGSTYKES
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LONGSTYKES   Email LONGSTYKES   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Post Robtattoo, appreciate all the work. Thanks Don

--------------------
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 2454 | From: Big Timber, Montana | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickbowhntr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickbowhntr   Email stickbowhntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can get my broadheads and axe sharp with files but have a heck of a time getting knives sharp...lol...
Posts: 328 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snow leopard
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snow leopard   Email snow leopard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is one awesome thread!! i just filed it for future use. thanks much, robtatto!! [Not Worthy]

--------------------
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Posts: 363 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©