JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Guard on Hidden Tang (lots of pics)Finished knife photo added (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Guard on Hidden Tang (lots of pics)Finished knife photo added
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d. ward   Email d. ward       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
super nice work Lin thanks again..bd
Posts: 7927 | From: Seattle Wa. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nosight
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nosight   Email Nosight   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great tut Thanks Lin for taking the time to show us your way of doing this....

Is the jig you are using purchased or home grown???

Thanks again

Later.........Buzz

--------------------
Remember...aim small miss small...

Posts: 653 | From: Buckly Washington | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SKYLER W
Cadet Member
Member # 12539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SKYLER W   Email SKYLER W   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lin, thank you for this. We can't wait to give your way a try. We really understand this process better now......What about the jigs????? Are both of them home-made?????? SKYLER

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Posts: 1476 | From: Alabama | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin Rhea   Author's Homepage   Email Lin Rhea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. Yes they are both home made. Lin

--------------------
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Posts: 4502 | From: Prattsville, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian johnson
Cadet Member
Member # 11656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian johnson   Email Ian johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gonna try and finish a guard this weekend, thanks for the build a long Lin, hey whats the best way to cut a hole in a handle for a half hidden tang?

--------------------
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Posts: 2017 | From: Ponchatoula LA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Evans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Evans   Email Kevin Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Lin!
This would have really helped me out a while back these guys don't know how lucky they are to have such great illustrations.

Posts: 1259 | From: missouri | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imskippy
Contributor 2014
Member # 12055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imskippy   Author's Homepage   Email imskippy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful work Lin. Any chance you want to continue the build along with the handle material aswell? I'm about to start my first hidden tang and would love a little help. Thanks Skippy

--------------------
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Posts: 964 | From: Vernon, N.J. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin Rhea   Author's Homepage   Email Lin Rhea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I will try to go through the process when I inlet the handle material. I usually build mortised tang handles, which is what this one will be. I will do this Saturday or so.

Ian, If I am making a stick tang, I usually just drill a series of holes and connect them with files or a broach. A broach is a "reach in there and drag out the material kind of tool". Lin

--------------------
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Posts: 4502 | From: Prattsville, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skullworks
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 15058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skullworks   Email skullworks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome stuff Lin! Thanks for taking the time to show us how you do it! This is one of the things I love about this site!

--------------------
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Posts: 2171 | From: Prattville, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kbaknife
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbaknife   Email kbaknife   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for showing this, Lin.
I hope guys realize how not only doing the work, but then taking the pictures, editing them and then doing a tutorial makes a 2 hour job a four hour job!!!
Looks to be one heck of a knife.
Anxiously waiting.

--------------------
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Posts: 2745 | From: Watseka, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mastin03
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mastin03   Email mastin03   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ill say it again, thanks for taking the time to do this Lin....truly priceless stuff here for the beginner!!

--------------------
Passin' on advice from my old man, "Keep your feathers dry."

Posts: 101 | From: Shepherdsville, Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wampus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wampus   Email Wampus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice tutorial and impressive photography skills too! Just wanted to mention that for those who can't or don't want to make their own jigs, Riverside Machine (Uncle Al) sells pretty similar setups under "knife fixtures".

http://www.riversidemachine.net/productCat0.ivnu

Posts: 336 | From: Millington, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Montauks
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Montauks   Email Montauks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lin!...

--------------------
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Posts: 635 | From: NJ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amicus
Contributor 2016
Member # 12213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amicus   Email amicus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lin, That was awesome.

Gilbert

--------------------
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Posts: 1091 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Butts2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Butts2   Email Butts2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never can get enough of these tutorials. Thanks

--------------------
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Posts: 584 | From: Silt, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©