JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Knives and Crafters » Lil Johnny Forge and blade forging demo (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Lil Johnny Forge and blade forging demo
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin Rhea   Author's Homepage   Email Lin Rhea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wampus,
I am having to take back something I said. I DID start the tang with the flat part of the hammer. Just the corner actually, but the face none the less. I learned this from Terry Primos a few years ago. I just get down there and get "set" and strike a steady blow as close to the same spot as possible. The sharp edge of the anvil starts the other side, then I flip it and work both sides to keep it sort of even. I did'nt mean to be confusing. Lin

--------------------
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Posts: 4509 | From: Prattsville, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irish
Contributor 2014
Member # 1317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish   Email Irish       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting demo, liked it a bunch!

--------------------
Mel Riley

Posts: 4060 | From: Lenexa, Ks | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBigRedArcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBigRedArcher   Email TheBigRedArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did you have to go off and make a video Lin? I was perfectly happy with my grinders, now I need to get me a forge and try it. It looks like too much fun.

Thanks for posting the video, it was awesome
TBRA

Posts: 280 | From: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wampus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wampus   Email Wampus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lin Rhea:
Wampus,
I am having to take back something I said. I DID start the tang with the flat part of the hammer. Just the corner actually, but the face none the less. I learned this from Terry Primos a few years ago. I just get down there and get "set" and strike a steady blow as close to the same spot as possible. The sharp edge of the anvil starts the other side, then I flip it and work both sides to keep it sort of even. I did'nt mean to be confusing. Lin

I was talking about the part starting about 9:10 where you use the edge of the anvil and the flat face a bit more, but I didn't catch that you then turned the hammer to the cross peen end. You never really broke rythm so you have to really pay attention to see the switch to cross peen when you lay the blade on it's side.

I cheat and use my little homemade air/hyd press to start the tangs, but you can do it quicker on the anvil edge than it takes me to turn on my compressor and adjust the flat dies. I need more practice on the anvil.

Posts: 336 | From: Millington, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin Rhea   Author's Homepage   Email Lin Rhea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Wampus. I really should take more time to verbalize so folks wont get confused. My handle is shaped so I can spin it and index it pretty well. I did not conciously do that, it just turned out that way. But I like it. I'm working at the museum today. I just forged a small hunter in the exact same way. I will try to video another some time when I have some help.

I also tried to fold a bar over and weld it for a hawk, but burnt it up. Just a little past welding heat. Actually a lot. That coal sure gets hot faster than gas. Lin

--------------------
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Posts: 4509 | From: Prattsville, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prarieboy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prarieboy   Email prarieboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lin thats great!

--------------------
Look up!It's ALL above us.

Posts: 728 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnis   Email johnis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow,very good.Thanks for sharing Lin
Posts: 116 | From: Greece | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akaboomer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for akaboomer   Email akaboomer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to see true craftsmanship. Lin your a true craftsman. I have got to get down to see you soon. I would realy enjoy watching a master at work. I will give you a call next week.

We may just have to shoot a little too.

Chris

Posts: 956 | From: Central Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

Thanks Chris. It's good to have you on TG again.

--------------------
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

camoman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 26968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for camoman   Email camoman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great video!

--------------------
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Posts: 223 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J CARPY
Member # 26569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J CARPY   Email J CARPY   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lin
I enjoyed the video, and I am wanting to build, or purchase a forge, can you let me know how I could get a little johhnie? Does he sell them, or plans?
Karl
I like yours also, do you have some kind of plans?

Posts: 24 | From: LIVINGSTON LA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin Rhea
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 14136

PM sent Joe. Lin

--------------------
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

razorback
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razorback   Email razorback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Lin, real nice start, enjoyed it a lot. Now you need to finish the forging process so we can all see how you do it. It's almost like being 14 again and watching them National Geographic specials, you know the African ones. It was just getting interesting and then the crocodile eats the wildebeast.

--------------------
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Posts: 2173 | From: Big Moose, NY | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bryan Bondurant
Member # 20627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bryan Bondurant   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan Bondurant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cant say enough good stuff about johnny and his forge. Having made a couple in Asia, a real time killer. I was way happy to have Johnny drop one off for me all ready to go. Just tonight I stuck it in the truck for the move to my new shop in the morning.

Anyone that has never had a chance to take a class with Lin or just get up next to the forge while he hammers is really missing out. He is a even better teacher than he is a maker and that's saying something.

Posts: 99 | From: Little Rock | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GO Rogers
Contributor 2011
Member # 25710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GO Rogers   Email GO Rogers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bet if you guy's marketed Lil Johnny they would sell. [bigsmyl] [clapper]

--------------------
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Posts: 507 | From: Fountain Inn, South Carolina | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©